Went flying yesterday and now I really want to finish my Private Pilot

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by hartzpad, Apr 8, 2005.

1. hartzpad

hartzpad

I stopped flying back in 1998 and I only had 1 more solo cross country flight left and my checkride. I went flying with a friend yesterday, we took a Cessna 152 up in the Utah mountains. He let me fly about 1/2 the time (he's a CFI) and it really brought back how fun flying is. I'm thinking about getting back into it and get my Private Pilot. I have 36 hours IIRC. Would I have to repeat much because of the lapse in time? I told him yesterday that I would feel confident with taking off and landing, but I'm rusty on rules, regulations, navigation, radio calls, etc.

I started off flying Katana DA20's and I ended up flying Piper PA/28's, which I absolutely love to fly. The Cessna 152 we flew yesterday was in poor shape. Interior panels cracked and ripped, very wells used, but of course mechanically sound enough to fly. That is a small plane. I'm not used to the high-wing aircraft and I felt like I had huge blind spots because I'm used to low wing aircraft.

What are the going rates for rentals? I was paying $45/hr for the Katana and $65/hr for the Piper. I'm sure those prices are much higher today.

Thanks for any help. I hope to someday be comfortable enough financially to own an aircraft.

2. GlocknAK

GlocknAK

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed getting back into the air. My wife is in pretty much the same boat. She finished her private, but hasn't flown in years. I'm trying to get her back into it too (makes it easier to sell her on buying a plane :cool: ).

Anyway, reg wise all of your flight time that you have accumulated to this point will still count towards your ticket. Profiency wise, you will spend a little time playing catch up. A LOT of that can be made up for by studying a bunch. It's not as much fun as flying, but it can save you a lot of money. It's also a lot more fun to fly when you are familiar with the regs and the plane that you're flying.

As for the rental rates, I noticed that you're in Utah. A quick check of a couple of flight schools showed that rates have definately gone up from what you were used to. I found a Cherokee at one airport for a little over $80 an hour, plus $34 an hour for the CFI. At another field a Katana was $85 and hour plus $40 for the CFI. Shop around and also consider buying time in blocks to lower the hourly cost.

I too got started in low wing Pipers. The transition to high wing was frustrating at first and I felt blind and almost clausterphobic (sp) in the Cessnas that came next. That will go away fairly quickly. Now I hate not being able to look stright down out the side windows when I fly a low wing. It's really whatever you prefer. My humble suggestion is that if you are getting back into it after a long time on the ground, stick with what you were used to until you are comfortable in the air again. It will lessen the time that it takes to become comfortable in the aircraft again.

You could also look at the Sport Pilot Certificate if the cost looks too high to finish your private, but I really don't know that it would save you any money since you have met most of the requirements for the private anyway.

Good luck with it. Fly safe and let us know how it turns out.

3. Ridgeway

Ridgeway

I'm in much the same boat.
    I quit flying back in 2002, only needed to do the long cross country & another hour & a half of simulated instrument time.
    Anyways, I picked it back up last Febuary(2005).

Didn't take too long to get back into it, most everthing comes back to you. I'm slated to hopefully finish up by this summer(flying 1x a week takes forever lol). Soloing again as of Tuesday. Up to 65 hrs I think.
    One thing if you don't want to repeat to much, go back to flying the same plane make. I formerly flew a Cessna 150, well since the 152 is a little different I've spent the last month repeating alot of stuff before soloing- ie stalls.

BTW I'm paying $65/hr for a Cessna 152...