close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welsh Terrier Experience?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by LBTRS, Apr 8, 2007.

1. LBTRS

LBTRS NRA Patron Life

We have been searching for a dog recently and read about different dog breeds that steered me towards investigating the Welsh Terrier. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this breed?

Most internet sites list them as hard to train and I was wondering if this was the case and what your experience has been with this breed?

We are looking for a small/medium sized dog that will do well in the house. I do not want a "fancy" dog that we can't take on hikes in the woods or down the to river swimming.

The dog must be affectionate and want to be part of the family. Not like the cat we have that wants to be by itself all the time and could care less about us.

I want a dog that we can train to stick close by on walks or while out away from people.

So, good with kids, small to medium sized, good in the house, able to keep up on walks/hikes, has to be "cute" for the wife, able to train the basics, affectionate and loyal, bark as a watchdog, are the criteria. Non-shedding is a plus.

Thanks for any insight.

2. LBTRS

LBTRS NRA Patron Life

Since I couldn't get any positive comments on the Welsh Terrier we decided to go with a Miniature Schnauzer.

Our 13 week old, salt and pepper female will be here on Monday.

3. Jones Boy

Jones Boy

Well, I wish I would have stumbled upon this thread earlier. I could have given you some positives. I've got both a Welsh and a Wire Haired Fox Terrier. Both our outstanding dogs. I hope you enjoy your mini. Did people PM you with negative Welsh comments?

4. LBTRS

LBTRS NRA Patron Life

No, I actually could not get any feedback at all. That and there are so few breeders made me think maybe there is a reason they are not popular. Wish I would have talked to you before.

Thanks,

5. Jones Boy

Jones Boy

Well, the breeders try and keep them limited. I know of a few breeders. I got lucky and found one locally. They are fantastic dogs. If you ever look to get another dog I would definitely look into a Welsh.