close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

well this just keeps getting better and better

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Clyde in CO, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

after I got my new pc, I autoclaved my old one and gave it to pops to be donated. The machine had an extra 40 gig HD and a stick of ram that I put in another system.

now, when trying to install windows on the new machine, it won't load.

here's the email he sent.

Clyde,
    The first time I tried to install and run Win 98 it gave me an error of:
    Windows\system\vmm32.vxd missing or unable to load.
    This is with your Win 98 CD.
    Also each time I tried again it said both C and D drives were error free ( during setup).
    It takes forever for it to do anything, even loading the startup disk. I think it is looking for the missing hard drive??

Now when starts to load Win 98 from the hard drive it gives an error and a popup screen headed EXPLORER:
    This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
    Under DETAILS it give this message:
    explorer caused an invalid page fault in module "explorer.exe" : at 017f:00401f31.
    When this popup is closed it goes to blue screen. With Ctl/alt/del you get an end task/shut down/cancel popup and clicking shutdown will eventually shut down the PC.
    As I said, I think the "all ahead dead slow" is being caused by the missing hard drive.

Dad

if the HD is wiped, why would it be looking for the missing HD?

would the boot disk he used make a difference? I had a couple of old ones in the stack of disks I gave him with the computer..... if the one he used was made under the old hardware configuration could it cause this problem?

grrrr.

not even the computers I used to own are working.

and there was no hot water in the shower this morning.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Was it a Compaq or something?

Most of the older OEM machines had a second partition dedicated to the BIOS (before they cheaped out and used it for the WinOS restore); however, that isn't the correct error for that issue, so we'll go on the assumption that there is something else wrong with the process.

Did you boot with a DOS disk (from WinME, preferrably) and Format the disk with FAT32?

Did you change anything else other than removing the HDD and the RAM?

My best guess is that you neglected to switch the HDD jumper back to Single Drive (for WD, remove the jumper altogether) after you took the Slave drive out of the system...

Sorry to hear about the cold shower...oh, and BTW when I donate an older system I never install an OS first...if they want to use it as is then they can do that.

GL

3. Clyde in CO

Clyde in CO LOL WUT?

thanks for the reply....

problem was fixed by putting in another HD.

4. jpa

jpa CLM

I was thinking the same thing about the WD HD jumper issue. Another possibility I was thinking of was maybe the slave drive settings were hardcoded into the bios, but that error would come up on POST, not booting into windows.

Possibly some 3rd party boot manager utility like EZ-drive or something installed? I know a lot of older PCs had that installed to accomodate drives larger than the bios recognizes. I wonder if that would error out if it didn't find the 2nd drive. fdisk /mbr to fix, if that's the case.