1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are collectibles now:
http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/PRODUCTION-ENDING-ON-POPULAR-SLR-106-SERIES.html
SLR-106 SERIES NEWS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MAY 17th, 2013
PRODUCTION ENDING ON POPULAR SLR-106 SERIES
(LAS VEGAS) – After nearly a decade since its initial introduction into the firearms marketplace, the SLR-106 series is getting a change in to “Collector’s Item.” Production on the series officially ended......A comprehensive audit of the current offerings in the firearms industry, recent trends and near-future shifts with regard to technology and advancement all factored into the decision to discontinue the series. Arsenal’s obligations with military and government contracts, production for the movie industry and commitments to distributors and dealers also shaped this decision. The current stock of SLR-106 5.56 caliber rifles and pistols will continue to be sold until supply runs out. Arsenal’s availability list is displayed below. Additional SLR-106 products can be found by checking with Arsenal’s distributors and various dealers nationwide.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
ARGH!!! I have my heart set on this rifle but I don't have the money right now. I've been watching gunbroker.com pretty closely and the prices were just starting to come down again!

:steamed:

So are they going to do a DIFFERENT AK in 5.56??? I'm just kind of at a loss as to why they don't want to make this gun anymore... it's the best of both worlds, and in my humble opinion, one of the coolest looking AK's there is.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I find this decision a bit odd, but knowing Arsenal they will just re-release it under a different name for more money.

If it's legitimately going away then I think it's weird since 5.56 is the standard caliber for the Bulgarian military, so you would think that would be the one to stay in production the longest out of the stamped Bulgy AKs.

They already stopped production of the SLR105 as well, so maybe they are planning to drop stamped receivers and streamline production for milled receivers since that is what their military uses.

·
Observer
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I know, all my friends in Bulgaria, serviceman, Army and Police are armed with 7.62 AKs... I don't think the standard ammo there is 5.56, they are not armed with any of the flavors of M16. They used to have AK74 for the Police but it wasn't very popular for some reason. There is one anti-terrorist unit that have PWS made rifles and few special units in the Army, they have AKM and AKMSU, plus some suppressed MP5 and Sig Pro, and few sniper rifles, but no long weaponry shooting 5.56 call...
I think this is decision of the US based Arsenal, not the manufacturer in BG, they'll produce whatever sells best, I guess. I think you are right about re-releasing the rifle under different name...

·
Registered
291 Posts
The Bulgarians I have seen in exercises were using either the AR-M9F(or a model of similar configuration, 16" barrel with the metal right side folding stock) or the AR-M8F, both in 5.56.

Bulgaria is a NATO member, so I imagine that is the driving choice behind caliber selection for joint exercises and maybe other activities.

Though, I would not doubt that a large portion of their domestic forces still use 7.62 AKs since they likely have a large stockpile of them. This is a similar issue to Poland.

ETA for example:

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I don't have too much love for any 5.56 AK other than from a collector's standpoint. The lack of standardization of things like magazines on 5.56 AKs is a big turn off. In addition, from a practical perspective, I would take an AR-15 in 5.56 any day of the week and twice on Sunday over an AK of the same caliber. The cost of 5.56 ammo over 7.62 and 5.45 Soviet, the pitfalls of the AK system, and lack of quality control standards for a good deal of 5.56 AK's pretty much kill the weapon in that caliber for me.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I'm thinking spare parts for my SLR-106U Suchka now.
Are all the parts the same across calibers except
the barrel, bolt carrier and mags?

I think I read somewhere firing pin is different for softer primers?

Thanks if anyone knows...

Update:
Got the word on AKFiles, from HWI, that all I really need
is a complete bolt for potentially hard to get future spare parts.

Just ordered one from MidwayUSA.
Feeling better now.

·
Observer
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Bulgarians I have seen in exercises were using either the AR-M9F(or a model of similar configuration, 16" barrel with the metal right side folding stock) or the AR-M8F, both in 5.56.

Bulgaria is a NATO member, so I imagine that is the driving choice behind caliber selection for joint exercises and maybe other activities.

Though, I would not doubt that a large portion of their domestic forces still use 7.62 AKs since they likely have a large stockpile of them. This is a similar issue to Poland.
I'm not questioning your statement or what you've seen but this is interesting subject so I did my little research by asking a friend of mine in one of the special units. These are guys that are working with US instructors in BG and in Fort Bragg.
He said that the Arsenal rifles you are mentioning were made specially for their unit. Those AK's were with 315mm barrel length, using .556 NATO ammo. They did not feed properly especially the M855 ammo. They used those AKs in few exercises with the NATO allies in 08 and 09 but they gave them a lots of trouble, he personally had 12-16 FTF on 100 rounds and the unit complained so they still have them but not using them. Their original request was for H&K416 and G36 but the Bulgarian Arsenal pulled some strings and sold those to the Military and this is how they ended up with those on the NATO events.
In terms of the standard Bulgarian armament, I think Wiki is about on target this time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_equipment_of_the_Bulgarian_land_forces#Assault_rifles

Otherwise, I agree that they should drop the AKs and go for something that is using the standard NATO round, they like their reliability but that's about it, AKs are not modular weapons and their balance isn't even close to the AR but I guess this is another subject to talk about...

In terms of discontinuing the rifle... IMHO is that the BG supplier Arsenal is dropping it for some non-logical reason... I believe they will start making it again, maybe under different name or something. There is no obvious, consumer related logic there, those ventures are ran by people who are basically illiterate on the technical part of their production... Simple example I got for you is the fact that lot of the brass in the Army there consider the .556 NATO round to be equally powerful as .22lr simply because of the bullet size similarity... On the other hand those same people consider the 5.45 Russian round to be extremely dangerous round and this is one of the reasons, AK74 type of rifles to be not so popular there and to have place only in some special units. In this country, just as in many others, the regular soldiers are suffering from misperceptions and deals between Government and manufacturers and they don't necessarily receive the modern armament that they should, but this I guess is not only Bulgarian reality...

·
Registered
291 Posts
The feeding issues must have been before they changed the bullet guide geometry. The early stamped 5.56 AKs suffered from the same problem here, they changed the feed geometry and the problems went away.

Bureaucrats trying to run and change things they don't know crap about, think that's a problem in every country.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
The feeding issues must have been before they changed the bullet guide geometry. The early stamped 5.56 AKs suffered from the same problem here, they changed the feed geometry and the problems went away.

Bureaucrats trying to run and change things they don't know crap about, think that's a problem in every country.
I don't know crap about AKs.
But I do know something about feed ramps.
My first SLR-106U fed M855 100%.
But FTF 1 in 10 with HPs.
The bullets were hanging up on the feed ramp.
Tips of the bullets were dented in.
And there was mettle shavings from the tips of the bullets
at the base of the ramp.

Some research indicated early SLRs had feed ramp issues.
There were before and after pics
with dremel instructions on how to correct the ramp.

Being spanking new - I called Arsenal and requested warranty service.
They agreed to fix it no questions asked.
About three weeks later a much newer serial number replacement gun arrived!

The ramp is clearly opened up with a better angle.
And the gun eats all variety of HPs like candy.
I've got about 1000 rounds on the new gun,
500 being HPs, and it's flawless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.