Well, the kids know I carry now. Scary incident, but all ok.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by FrogWithAGlock, Feb 17, 2010.

1. FrogWithAGlock

FrogWithAGlock Girl with a Gun

Very long....

So, I've been carrying for 8 months or so. I've had talks with my kids about guns, etc (some of you may remember my "what to tell the kids" thread from last year). My now 7yo has asked how I would defend them away from the house, etc. I've hinted that I might be carrying, but never really said it.

Then Monday happened. Monday, being Presidents' Day, there was no school. So I had both girls with me, running errands. I decided to take a drive, just for fun, and ended up heading toward a large furniture chain store, in town (LONG way from my house - "going to town" is a big deal since we moved to a rural area). Figured we'd window shop new couches.

When we got to that area, I was curious where the road that ran BEHIND the furniture store went, so I drove down it a ways. Just some industrial buildings, and a mail-service building, then the road ends, and beyond that is dirt and prairie. Turned into the parking lot of the mail service building to turn around (rather than making a u-turn in the street).

While still in the driveway of the mail center (I had not pulled into the street at all), a car comes pealing out of the dirt lot/prairie (to the north of me, I am on the West side of the street), speeding down the road. JUST as he is about to pass me, the driver swerves and almost nails me (comes up into the driveway quite a bit), then swerves out of the way and continues speeding down the street. I yell out in surprise "oh my gosh", and throw up my hand defensively (no rude gestures of any kind, just completely startled). The guy glared at me, and continued down the road.

I waited a few seconds, to catch my breath, calm down my startled children, then "whew, we're all ok", and pulled into the street.

The other driver gets to the stop sign about 1/4 mile down the road (long straight section, so I can see him, even though he's far away), then turns around sharply in a u-turn, squealing his tires, and heads STRAIGHT FOR ME, FLOORING IT. I immediately stopped, put my vehicle in reverse, and am trying to see if I can safely back up to the drive again, to avoid being hit by this psycho, and leaning on my horn, trying to draw attention to anyone who may see us (though the traffic is all at the end of the street, south of us, and I'm blocked from their view by the guy aiming for me). At the last possible second, he swerves to miss me, and speeds north again, back to the dirt area beyond the end of the road. I immediately got out of there, and went into the very busy parking lot in front of the store, to get out of his view, and position where I can see him, and have a way out, if he comes back and looks for me, but he can't readily see me. I then call 911, and explain the situation.

By now I am totally shaking, still shocked that some crazy would behave that way with ZERO provocation whatsoever (truly). I then pull to spot that is still shielded, but where I can see the police when they arrive. I saw the guy go by again, and proceed towards the interstate (he did, I stayed put). I couldn't get a license plate, because it all happened too quickly, and because his truck was covered in dirt, which obscured the plate. Half a second considered getting a closer look, but no freaking way I was giving away my position, or getting into it with him (wouldn't have anyway, but especially with my kids in the car).

When the officer got there, she asked what happened, then drove to the dirt lot to check if there was a vehicle matching the description out there (though I told her I'd seen him leave). She then came back and had me follow her, to verify another truck wasn't the one (It wasn't even close). Then she said there wasn't anything she could do, since I didn't get a plate. I realize that, but couldn't have NOT called, when some lunatic is aiming his car at mine, threatening my children.

I wanted to drive straight home after that, but the kids wanted to see the furniture, and I realized (since I'd seen him get on the highway), that we were probably safer staying there a bit, than being on the road if he hadn't gone far, and that I needed to show my kids we don't run and hide under the bed.

My 7yo started to cry, and hugged me, and asked if we would have died if he'd hit us. I explained he was a bully, who for whatever reason (bad day, embarrassed that he'd swerved earlier, who knows?) just wanted to scare us. That we were safer in the car than out, during the whole thing, and that if he'd crashed into us, we'd have gone to the hospital to get checked out, and might be hurt, but we'd get through it. And that I was still there, and would still protect her.

She then said, "Mom, I really wish you had your gun, in case he really DID want to hurt us badly". I hugged her, and she then said, "Mom, I mean it. You have a gun, and sometimes take it with you (to the range, etc), so why don't you carry it when we go to the store?"

So I told her. I told her it was, once again, something serious, and private we were going to discuss. I told her I had my gun with me, that I almost always have my gun with me, and that I would use it if necessary to protect our lives. That I didn't use it, because nothing that happened warranted pulling out a gun, but that I did have it, if it was ever needed. Then I briefly flipped up the tail of my shirt, and showed her the grip. I told her we were not going to talk about it outside of the house or car, or when other people were around, but that I wear it every day, and it is here, if I need it.

She immediately became calm. I asked if it made her feel better, and she smiled and said yes, that it made her feel safer. We then had a very nice time looking at furniture, ran a couple more errands, and made it safely home.

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Yup, there are crazies out there.

I always secretly hope, after an incident like that, that they later run into another crazy, and then they both take each other out.

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

If they're gonna find out that's about as good a time to find out because it's all in context.

Now follow up and make sure she's okay with the idea of when to say something and when NOT to. Most of the time when not to talk about it is more important than when to.

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Oh, my 4yr old son just shot my Beretta yesterday. Only in single action, because he's not strong enough for the double action.

He sees me dress everyday. So, we have lots of discussions about guns and carrying. And how guns work. And semi-auto versus revolver. And always assuming a gun is loaded, and never pointing a gun at anyone, and keeping your finger off the trigger, and how to unload and triple check a gun, and that he won't be able to tell if a gun is unloaded until I say so. And he can't touch any guns, unless mommy or daddy say he can and we are standing right there and say it is ok, and to let us know if he wants to see a gun.

But he's not only interested in guns. Sometimes he likes to see the Japanese sword or the German bayonet.

Of course the Beretta was empty, and he was learning about dryfire and when not to pull the trigger.

5. FrogWithAGlock

Yeah, I talk about that with them all the time. My 7yo is great about it, 4yo needs work (for instance, meeting hubby later at a restaurant, she loudly said, "Mommy was hiding her gun". Fortunately, the restaurant was empty of customers, and the staff was in the back. We reminded her that even when she thinks we're alone, out in public, we don't talk about the gun. She's also the one that told a cousin not to play in the closet, since mommy's guns are in there (my range bag.... which I have since moved, not my actual carry gun). 4yos can be a weak link in any security plan. Working on plugging the leak, lol.

I will definitely be talking about that part even more, since they know I have it, so they don't yell in a crowded area, "hey mom, you have your gun", etc.

6. FrogWithAGlock

Maybe we need to name it. "Hey mom, is Aunt Betty coming today" would certainly be better than, "Hey mom, are you wearing your gun?"

j/k

7. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

I can't think of anything that I might have done differently. I admire your resolve to keep your carry status secret also. I do the same, but after so many years my family does know.
    We have had "the talk" about keeping that information private.
    Glad it all worked out well for you ma,am. :thumbsup:

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Not sure how to convey, but somehow they need to know it isn't something for them to talk about or ask about. Sort of like, none of their business.

When home, you can show them about guns all you want. They can ask all the questions they want.

But when you go out of the house, they aren't to ask about guns. They just do what you say (with regard to safety situations).

Eventually the newness of it will wear off.

Basically, they have to learn it isn't polite to talk about guns in public. Then they will learn the few exceptions, such as gun stores and gun clubs. Or if you have a close friend and you two are talking about guns at each other's house, then they can talk about guns.

I teach my son that many peoople are afraid of guns, so it isn't nice to talk about guns around them. Often he asks, is so and so is afraid of guns or knows about guns? Basically, he's asking me if he can talk about guns in front of so and so.

9. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Maybe stay off access roads in the future too?

10. Ironbar

Ironbar

I am a big man. I'm 6' 5", and weigh in at around 300lbs. I work out several times a week.

People always ask me, "Why do YOU carry gun? Who's ever going to mess with you?"

My response is that crazy people aren't going to measure my height and weight prior to doing something stupid.

11. captdreifus

captdreifus aSun666

Hey Frog,

Glad to hear that you got home with your girls a-okay! What an experience..I have a few questions for you. First off, what do you carry and how do you carry it? I am trying to give my girlfriend (5'3'' 105lbs) a good carry rig so she can carry semi-comfortably. She does not want to get IWB due to the fact that she does not want to buy new clothes, so it will be OWB for now, unless I have other ideas. Sorry to thread jack..and thanks in advance!

captdreifus

12. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

+87

It gets mentioned to little Janie at school how cool it is that Mom makes sure we are okay by carrying her gun to protect us. Little Janie goes home and asks mommy and daddy why they don't love her enough to protect her. Mommy and daddy have to make an issue and an example of Frog, cause they don't have a ball between them, and are embarrassed.

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Glad you are relatively unscathed.

I simply cannot BELIEVE you staged that whole thing to convert your kids into gun nuts...:supergrin:

:wavey:
    'Drew

14. FrogWithAGlock

Um, no. The mailing service place (where I turned around) does business with the public. And I wasn't in the ghetto, a private alleyway, etc. I refuse to just accept that I can't go somewhere in a good part of town, in he middle of the afternoon. It's a regular road, that goes through a large portion of town. That's just one end of it (hence me wanting to see where it came out).

ROTFLMBO!!

Actually, 7yo is already excited to take the NRA youth course when she turns 8, so..... already converted.:whistling:

I have been telling my kids for over a year that talking about mom's gun is like talking about mom's underwear - nothing wrong with it, but not something we talk about with others, because my undies (and my gun) are MY business!

I carry a Glock 19. Usually in a Tommy's Original Gunpack. I was carrying in a belly band that day, down low, like IWB holster, at 2 o'clock. One of these days I'll get a belt and IWB holster, just have no idea where to start/don't want to change the way I dress.

My Tommy's pack is awesome, and I have practiced drawing from it several times (including shooting reactives on the range), but sometimes I would like to not wear a fanny pack. KWIM? Though no one around me has a clue I am carrying (women don't stand out with fanny packs, and I won't carry in a purse - when I want to CARRY A PURSE, I put my glock in the belly band, so it's still on-body.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010