Well occasionally I do get lucky

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by wjv, Jun 6, 2020.

1. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

I primarily have three guns that I use for concealed carry:

- Ruger LCp when I'm just running out to the store. Small town. No big crime concernes.

- S&W 442 five shot DAO 'J' frame when I'm out and about during the day.

- Springfield Micro Compact 1911 in .45 with CT laser grips for when I travel or if I want something a bit more powerful and more flexible than the 442. But like most 1911s, it's thicker than most guns.

Normally I have felt fine with these. But now with all the riots going on I wanted to get something of medium power, easy to carry, better capacity than the 442, easy to reload, good easy to see sights.

Settled on a sub-compact in 9mm. Looked at all of the possible candidates, with the constraint of what was actually available. Finally got it down to 2 choices. S&W Shield 1.0 in the basic configuration; A Sig 938 with white 3 dot sights.

Sportsman's Warehouse had the base Shield 1.0 for $399. Went to the Vancouver (WA) store because the website said they has some. Nope. . . All sold out. Went to the Kelso store and the salesman said "I think we are sold out but let me check in back" Five minutes later he comes out with a box covered in a 1/4 inch of dust. It's a Shield 1.0 and says he found it behind a bunch of other guns way in the back. He opens the box and it is the base model that I wanted. so I said "I'll take it."

He scans it into the computer systems and stop. Then says "This one must have been back there for a long time. - It's coming up at $299". I think I broke the sound barrier getting my debit card out of my wallet.

So now I have to wait the 2-3 weeks while my background check goes through (Thank you a-holes in Seattle). But I lucked out and got a decent gun for a great price. Ordered 3 extra 8 round mags and a leather OWB holster with mag slot from Urban Carry. The mags and holster will get here before my new pistol. :-(

I'll keep the LCP handy for when I'm just running out to the store or when I need something small to carry, and the Shield will replace the 442 and the Micro 45 for regular carry as it combines the best of both into one gun. My full size Kimber with a CT laser grip is my "house gun". I have carried it a couple time but it's more suited for home duty.

I looked at some of the other micro 9s, but liked how I could get a solid 3 finger grip on the Shield. I felt very good to hold. The 2.0 on the other hand felt like I was holding a gun wrapped in 24 grit sandpaper. (just my opinion).

I'll post pics of the gun and holster once I have everything!

2. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Good find - great pistol.

3. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

Now I know why it was so cheap. . .

WARNING: Handling firearms or firearms parts can expose you to lead and other petroleum products known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm. Wash hands thoroughly after handling. For more information go to www.p65warnings.ca.gov (CA Health and Safety Code Section 25249.6).

Is there anything in CA that doesn't cause cancer?

dbuck47 and orangejeep06 like this.
  4. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Donations to the local DNC office is considered healthy to most CA politicians.

5. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

FYI: This is the Urban Carry OWB holster with mag carrier. I never had this brand before so it will be interesting to see how well it work, or if it will end up in the big Bag-O-Holsters.

[​IMG]

6. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

Nice choice! I have carried a Shield 1.0 9mm for years. Full disclosure: however in the colder months I carry a Glock 19.

My critique of the Shield 1.0 9mm: I bought a MP Shield 9 when they were released in early 2012. Always felt the trigger pull was on the heavy side and lacking in "smoothness".

After talking to a S&W trained gunsmith who I know and trying his apex installed triggers, I decided to purchase an Apex sear (Mfr Part: 100063). I prefer to keep my guns as near to OEM as possible thus did not want to replace springs etc. What a difference! Just replacing the sear was enough. Trigger is more pleasant to operate. Just right for my self defense carry gun (not too light).

Apex Tactical Specialties Inc. advertises their Apex Tactical’s Fully Machined Sear with the following benefits:
    • Reduces trigger pull weight
    • Shorter overtravel
    • Faster reset
    I found the benefits to be true for my shield.

Obviously, shoot your Shield and hopefully you will have a good trigger right out of the box....

NOTE: I just wanted to share my experience and point out an option if needed. Enjoy your fine pistol!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    CAMSDADDY likes this.
  7. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

I have a Shield 1.0 in 9mm and 40 S&W. Never had enough of a problem with the trigger where I felt the need to replace or modify the trigger. I would give it some time shooting it to see if the trigger doesn't smooth out a little.

8. bac1023

bac1023

Very cool

Congrats! :cool:

9. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

Leaving the place is likely the healthiest option. ;)

Shield is an outstanding choice, especially at that price. Well done!

10. Bluescot

Bluescot

I shot a buddy's 9mm Shield when they first came out and was impressed with the ease of hitting stuff with it and amazed at the price but still didn't move on it right away. A year or so later S&W had some ridiculous pricing on them and a $75 rebate to go with them. Apparently they were ready to come out with some new offerings and decided to dump the price on ver 1.0 IIRR it brought the price down to around $250+- net of the rebate and I bought all three calibers.

After many purchases following the Shields, I still like them and shoot them all and now EDC the .40. The 45ACP is exceptional for me in accuracy and I've found the triggers in all three to be.....................OK, not fabulous but not terrible and have left them alone to see some improvement in the triggers as the round count goes up.

11. steve1911

steve1911

Congrats!

1911club#410

12. steve1911

steve1911

Double tap

1911club#410

13. Current Resident

Current Resident

You will love the Shield, nice choice on the holster too

14. J_Rico

J_Rico

Excellent. Found the firearm you wanted and got a price surprise in a good way.

I love a happy ending.

ETA: Big fan of the Shield. Enjoyed every one I have tried.

Bought one Urban Carry holster. Jury still out. Taking a lot of break in.

Let us know how you like yours.

15. dbuck47

dbuck47

Congratulations and thanks for sharing a nice story. I too am a Shield fan.

16. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

My EDC is also a 1.0 Shield in 9mm. I carry it in an Alien Gear IWB hybrid. Love my Shield!

17. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Nice, nice pistol, my wife has one.

18. wjv

wjv RIP Stan Lee.. . .

I'll probably pick up a IWB at some point also.
    Need to do a bit of research as to which IWB holster to get.

19. ProjectCamaro

ProjectCamaro

Wow, awesome deal! Congrats, it's a great carry piece that you'll undoubtedly love.

20. 292992

292992 Guest

That’s crazy to have to wait 2-3 weeks for a background check, thank God that I live in Georgia, they better never try that down here, it surely will be an uprise.