Well, my Wally-Walk wasn't a COMPLETE failure.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by GLOCK19FTW, Feb 22, 2013.

1. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

Just got back from popping my Wally-Walk cherry! :)

Even though they didn't have any ammo (shelves are LITERALLY bare.. I don't even think they are ordering ammo anymore, that's how bare it is/has been for months) I was still able to pick up a single mag pouch for a reasonable price.

Was kind of paranoid that people might know I was carrying at first, which led me to discreetly check to see if I was showing or printing at all (I wasn't!)

After about 10 minutes of walking thru the store it felt normal, like it does when I'm carrying at home. I didn't find myself checking after that.

Nobody even bothered to look at me really.. I was kinda surprised, especially with this Fobus holster.

However to be fair, I think the t-shirt/jacket combo helped conceal the pistol a lot more than just a t-shirt would.

So yeah.. that was my first public-carrying experience, just thought I would share with GT :wavey:

I am proud to say that I am now an armed member of society!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. Never Nervous

Never Nervous

I guess you are not legit until you do the "Wal-Mart Stroll.":supergrin:

NN

3. allegro

allegro

Well post us up some pics of the mag pouch !!

4. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

@allegro, will do! gimme a few minutes!

However it's nothing special, just a regular Walmart mag pouch.. lol

still better than my home-made pouch that I made from a knife pouch tho, that's for sure!

5. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

Forgive me for the 'less than white' blanket - my dog has taken it over as her own, and she has black fur. lol

[​IMG]

I know it's probably not the best mag pouch, but like I said, it sure as hell beats the little home-made one from my knife pouch (that broke after 2 hours on my belt, LOL!)

I'm tempted to carry one of my 33 round mags in it, but that would probably stick up to my chest.. not sure how that would look when trying to conceal.. haha

So until I get another standard cap mag (a 3rd one) & a double mag pouch, this will have to do.

6. LL6

LL6

Congrats on your Wally-Walk. :supergrin:

7. WATT

WATT

Yeah that 33 rounder probably wouldn't seem like such a good idea if you actually had to draw/use your gun. I can just see the headlines on that one.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

I wish ours had the blackhawk pouches like they have the holsters.

9. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

Whoa, very good eye.. You could tell that was a blackhawk pouch just from the photo?

Its VERY durable.. I like the way it sits on the belt too. They do have holsters from blackhawk there, after trying this pouch I might try one of their holsters too..

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  10. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Now if only you could OC then you'd have a great Wally World experience!:supergrin:

11. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

At some point it will become as natural as your wallet and keys in your pockets. SJ 40

12. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

I have carried for about 12 years now.
    I learned long ago that your average sheep doesn't pay attention to what goes on outside their tiny little bubble.

A couple years ago I had to play security for my Bro in law and because I had to leave my home in a hurry I grabbed a gun and a paddle holster. For sheer expediency I just put the paddle part in my front pocket and it came off looking like a dropped leg tactical holster.

After I was done I stopped at the local gas station for something to drink. The place was packed with soccer moms and kids. Not one single person noticed the gun in full view. That was the point that reinforced my belief that people don't notice what they don't want to.

The only people that would note you are carrying even if it's concealed is another person who CCW's or perhaps a cop. That's either because you don't conceal well, or are constantly touching the gun.

So my advise would be to pick a good holster, belt, and gun combo and keep your hands off.

13. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

Definitely agree with the bold parts (I agree with everything else you said too, just these parts more than the rest. lol)

Since taking my class & starting to carry around the house while waiting for my permit to arrive, testing carry positions, etc, I've learned a LOT.

I actually pointed out a guy to my wife in Walmart a few weeks back who was carrying. She says she couldn't see it at all until I pointed it out to her, LOL!! I couldn't believe it, this guy wasn't even TRYING to avoid printing!

I've seen quite a few people carrying since then too, now that I know what to look for.

My current holster is a Fobus GL2-RSH, it prints with thin clothing, but printing is legal in this state so I'm not too worried about that. I do try to minimize it tho, until I can find a better concealment holster.

However, while I'm carrying in public, I move the holster from my hip (3-o-clock position) to the front-right (about 2-o-clock position, maybe a few cm closer towards 1)

I just don't like the thought of having it on my hip and someone behind me being able to try and grab for it.

So I keep it front-right when carrying in public, that way my arm blocks it from view and access by anyone behind me.

14. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

You can break up the guns outline with patterned shirts.
    Wilderness sells those, but just about any pattern would help over solid colors.
    An IWB would help greatly with any printing, though if ask about those you will get a zlilion different people telling you about a zillion different holsters.

There are some fairly nice holsters that ride outside the pant though that are cut so they conform to the shape of the body. The Galco Concealable come to mind. I have couple of them that I kind of like. The forward cant is a little extreme though. You can hide a full sized 1911 pretty well.

Mostly I carry at about 3 o'clock, though I have a few cheap IWBs that let me carry about 12-12:30. While I don't care for the gun pointed at my junk, it is comforting to know that it's mostly inaccessible to anyone but me.

15. Bruce M

Bruce M

Agree completely. Maybe something like this :whistling: [​IMG]

16. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

lol yeah... I appreciate the suggestion but I think I'll have to pass on that one :)

however, some of my shirts are patterned. just not THAT patterned... hahaha

17. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

before too long, you may end up finding that the single carrier will work just as well for day-to-day carry. i lucked out and snagged 2 boxes of wwb .45 from my local wally this morning a lil' bit before 11. the counter guy has mentioned before that when they do take delivery of ammo, it usually makes it out to shelf by 7-8 in morning so maybe try that.

18. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW

Not sure how I missed that post before, but that is exactly right. The only place I take those are to the range. Other than that they stay at home.

I wouldn't literally carry that thing for CCW, even though it IS legal (the largest length of the gun when inserted is, believe it or not, less than 12 inches - and there are no mag limitations in this state, or at least not that I have been told of. Instructor didn't mention any)

So yes, I guess I legally COULD do it.. but hell no - trust me, there is no way that would even begin to conceal with me, lol I'm not some huge guy, and it's way too hot down here to be doing that.

Plus if something should ever happen, I sure don't want to give any fuel to the anti-gunners.

19. CA Escapee

CA Escapee Finally!

We saw you. You're the one with the G19, aren't you. :tongueout:

In the future you'll get out of the car, check that you're covered up and just go about your business. Good for you!

Bill

20. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

Of course, when you are properly concealing you look like anyone else so a WW walk is nothing out of the ordinary. It would be different if you were OC'ing. I do this frequently when since open carry is the normal mode of carrying a defensive arm in my state (read that as default or standard mode). But good for you.

The first place I ever CC'd after having received my CHP, July '95, was a bank. I was a bit self-conscious but since it was concealed, no one knew so I looked no different from any other man in the place.