Well Looks Like I'm Cutting The Comcast Cable

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cyberghostx13, Sep 30, 2020.

1. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well already I have been thinking about cutting the TV part but after today's mess about verifying my comcast email account(which I never use) that was the last straw. Over two hours with comcast chat and nothing resolved.

I had been getting advertising postcards from SONIC Fiber Optic so I went online and set everything up. I'll get the first three months free and after that will pay approx $70.00 a month and that includes taxs and fees. I pay Comcast $200.00 a month for TV and Internet. I haven't watched much TV since kneeling and cv19 took away my sports. I've just watched the Game Channel and some "Ridiculousness" on MTV.

So next Thursday I will hopefully be hooked up to Sonic's fiber optic network scheduled for 10am to 2pm. I will stay on with Comcast till I actually have a working Sonic Fiber Network and once that is established I will return my Comcast Cable Box(I've always had my own modem)but my mask will cover my big smile upon termination. I can't wait till I actually have Sonic Internet. Later.

NMG26 and Glock1963 like this.
  2. railfancwb

railfancwb

When I moved from city to country I list Comcast. Enjoyed a few of the Cable only channels, but what I missed and still miss us tge internet speed.

cyberghostx13 likes this.

3. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well I think fiber optic is faster than cable but I won't know until I have a working version of Sonic Fiber. Like my mom said, "The proof is in the pudding". So next Thursday I'll find out. First if it gets installed an works, then how well it works, specifically how fast. I just wanna see my HD movies from iTunes and Amazon Prime from my appleTV.

4. as400guy1

as400guy1

Sonic fiber?
    I like sonic burgers.

GRT22, cbetts1 and TheDreadnought like this.
  5. Capone

Capone

I would go unlimited internet and stream only but the cost where i am is outrageous. 180 a month for unlimited internet 13 for amazon 10-15 a month for hulu, netflix, apple, peacock or whatever that new one is. Cost just kills it for me. BUt you enjoy it. I do have appletv free for a year cause i bought a new iphone 11 max pro. I watched see so far it was ok i am watching the morning show now its not impressing me very much typical #metoo show guy bangs a few co workers then they claim it was predatory or some bs. There is a show where two guys ride electric motorcycles from south america i think up to the usa. Might be cool.

6. Bradley T

Bradley T

Good on you. Those people will just keep stealing your money til you just dump that box off and walk. That Cock's Cable charged me about the same as what you pay, but no more. Finally got them outta my house!

7. Deltic

Deltic

I pay $77 but I don't have any premium tv channels. Between YOUTUBE and Amazon prime video there is more than I could ever watch. I spend about $10 to $20 a month on used books from thrift stores, I might never be able to read all of them. There is so much out there that it is like trying to drink from a fire hose.

8. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Get yourself a Roku or Amazon Fire and do all your streaming through that.

9. Glock1963

Glock1963

We cut the cable a few years ago and my only regret is not doing it sooner. I hated the idea of paying ESPN a stipend each month and never watching it. I watch very little television and my wife probably watches even less. I’ve been pleasantly surprised how little we miss it.

10. Current Resident

Current Resident

How do you get the local channels so that you can keep up with whats is going on around you?

11. Villuj_idiot

Villuj_idiot

I cut bait with cable in 2017 after being charged $2/month for "regional sports"...not waiveable...I don't watch any sports. It was the straw.

I don't miss it. My combined fiber internet, Disney+, Netflix, and Amazon Prime costs about $30/mo less than basic cable/internet was costing me. I put up a really good digital antenna with a booster, and I get all the local digital channels for free.

Cable TV was a huge waste of money.

Glock1963 and cyberghostx13 like this.
  12. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

We have had Comcast a long time. About $160/month. 90 mpbs. I am paying for more speed, but I don't want to spend to update both routers. We are somewhat fortunate that we have a Comcast office nearby. If they raise rates, I go over and b....... Last time I did this, they gave me a better package with two year contract, for less money. When that happens, I guess we will do this all over.
    We have a new fiber company putting in cable everywhere. My neighbor has it, and likes it. I have quoted them, and price is about the same as Comcast. Internet and TV. Comcast has really stepped up their game with competition. My son who works in IT tells me don't get too excited with fiber, the future is wireless. You have to really watch with Comcast that you are getting what you are paying for. I was paying for a faster internet speed, but wasn't getting it. I received a $140 credit for the six months this went on.

13. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

I pay a flat rate of $60/month for XFinity internet, 600 mbps speed (actual speed is about 400 mbps with 17.8 mbps upload). I have no TV, so no charge there.

My only gripe is that they have a lot of outages. But it's not the end of the world.

They also outsourced their customer service to Mexico and India, so if you HAVE to call them for some reason, then you'll likely spend an hour sifting through BS with their answering machine service and some guy who can barely speak English, BEFORE they send you BACK to a rep here in the States. Drives me absolutely bonkers. Thankfully though, I've only had to call them once when I first set it up.....everything else I can do online without assistance.

14. hd67xlch

hd67xlch

Comcast just up graded my whole city to fiber, took them about a year to do it. My question is what difference does it make if you upgrade everything in the city to fiber, but the cable from the street to the house is still the standard cable line, and wont your home thats 20 years old with standard cable need to be updated to fiber to actually see a difference?

cyberghostx13 and cbetts1 like this.
  15. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

yep, cutting the cord is good! I did that a few years back too, and ended up with 1Gb internet, Netflix, and PooTubeTV for a lot less than I was paying for Xfinity 400Mb internet and TV combined. Yeah, I know lining the pockets of PooTube and Netflix goes against my principles, but the cold hard fact is that if you want to see movies or the PGA tour, or news, you pretty much need to pay the commies.

I may change movie subscriptions when I get bored with the Netflix offerings. But for now it works.

16. unit 900

unit 900

I have a choice of 2 providers, Comcast and Verizon FIOS. Both have the same predatory approach to services. If you want to drop TV and just keep high speed Internet, the price of Internet skyrockets. I'm out of range of the Hi def air wave stations, so I'm stuck if I want to watch local TV, though that is just local news and Jeopardy. For comparison purposes, my 'triple play' (Internet/TV/VOIP phone), with basic channels is $140 a month. I do have nominal 1gb download speed. When you run that through the provided modem/router it drops to about 30mbs. If I could get the news over the air, I would drop everything but Internet and get an Ooma VOIP phone set up. I use a Firestick fo all of my real entertainment needs.

cyberghostx13 and DoubleWide like this.
  17. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

There are some streaming providers with local channels.

Personally, I just have a digital subscription to the local paper.

For years I didn’t even have that, I just listened to the local radio station to and from work, but obviously not driving to work anymore.

18. nmk

nmk

Antenna. Pretty cheap. Maybe a bit over $20.

Current Resident likes this.
  19. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3

Get a roku stick. Tons of free content. Start with Pluto and ROKU channels. If you are Amazon Prime or netflix you have that paid content. The paid subscription services always run free trials HULU, Sling, YouTubeTV. Try them and subscribe to one if you like it.

unit 900 and cyberghostx13 like this.