close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Well it finally happened. I got squibbed.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DLEE25, Jul 28, 2012.

1. DLEE25

DLEE25 Go Cubs

I took my brand new G19 gen 4 to the range today and had one mishap. First of all this isn't really one of those complaint threads about the G19 gen 4 nor is it one of those threads bragging about how flawless it is. I started out with about 100rds of American Eagle 124 gr FMJ without incident. No brass to the head and no failures. I was happy I got a good one.

Then I got a little adventurous. I had some old HP ammo I wanted to try out. I had one magazine of Golden saber and one mag. of Silver tips. The golden sabers were flawless, and the first 8 or so rounds of silver tips were also uneventful. Then it happened. I had a failure to go to battery. So I tapped and racked and ejected a live round. Still failed to go into battery. I soon suspected a squib round. I didn't feel any change it recoil during my last string so I was surprised.

I unloaded the gun and probed the barrel and my worst fear was confirmed. So I stripped it down and checked the barrel. No bulging and no apparent damage. the bullet was lodged only about a 1/2 in. from the breech so no other rds. could be loaded. I felt so lucky. Someone was looking out for me that day cause had the bullet lodged any further, I could have had a KB! Well I tapped out the bullet and found the silver tip in pristine condition. After a cleaning and closer examination the barrel ran fine. the gun was flawless with American Eagle.

Despite the incident, I am happy with the Gen 4. I feel very lucky cause it could have been worse.

2. TnShooter83

TnShooter83

Lucky, since you didn't notice a change in recoil that could have ended badly. Good thing it only got stuck right at the front of the chamber. Did it sound different?

I all ways get nervous shooting bulk .22lr ammo. As some some of the rounds sound different at times. So far, I've never had a round stuck in the barrel. But it does make me check every once in a while.

I figure at some point it is bound to happen. I hope I catch it sooner than later.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

3. DLEE25

DLEE25 Go Cubs

Didn't notice any change in recoil or sound. That's what freaked me out. It even ejected the spent casing. I was shooting pretty rapidly. Maybe if I was firing slower I would have noticed it better.

4. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Glad you lucked out and didn't ruin your barrel.

5. Cool Hand Hodge

Cool Hand Hodge Senior Member

Yikes! On a side note, i wouldn't worry too much about the .22s. I have shot live rounds into lodged bullets in my youth and it didn't really do anything. Probably not good for the barrel but its not like its going to blow the gun up.

6. di11igaf

di11igaf ibew

The squib I had did sound different. You would definitely know it if you heard what I did. As long as you investigate afterwards, and DONT just tap,rack,bang- you would be fine. A squib should not(none I've seen) be able to cycle the slide and pull in a fresh one. You would notice a problem first, even rapidfiring.
    Now a squib in a revolver, say rapid firing and encounter a squib, that could turn into an ugly kaboom- all you'd have to do is pull the trigger again if you didn't hear it.
    If the OP's ejected and fully cycled the slide that's weird, it must of been a full power load and it got lodged for some other reason.
    A squib is usually just the primer pushing the bullet into the barrel(this will not cycle the slide at all) no powder.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  7. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

I had a squib Winchester Ranger T 40 S&W once shooting my Glock 27, bullet stuck in barrel. Instances like these are making me more confident carrying my own handloads.

8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Good thing you found it before it could have been much worse.

9. LSP972

LSP972

Until one of THEM does it.

No handloading bash here; I've been "rolling my own" since the late 60s.

But last year, I had one of my reloads do the exact same thing as described by the OP. I was at an IDPA match, and there were two RO's standing just behind me. Neither one of them, or myself, heard or saw anything out of the ordinary, and the case ejected normally. But there was a bullet stuck just ahead of the chamber leade, which saved me as in the OP's experience.

I suppose the moral of the story is... anything can happen. Sort of reminds me of the mind-set of that old Russian Olympic shooter... "Is gun! Is NOT safe!":supergrin:

10. scosgt

scosgt

I had a squib Remington JHP .45 in my G30. It did not eject. It sounded and felt funny. I got sprayed a bit with hot powder. The round was gone, it did exit the barrel.
    I posted the story here.
    Remington sent me a $10 refund for the bad ammo!