Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Methberry PD
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sooooo....for the first time in X amount of years, I'm actually going to go work out tonight. The local professional FD is nice enough to offer their workout equipment to any and all local LEOs who wish to better themselves in the basement of the firehouse.

On my desk here I have an old police bag with a brand new pair of tennis shoes, a pair of workout pants (it's six degrees out) and a ratty t-shirt. I'm about to pee myself I'm so nervous. I feel like it's the first day of gym class back in sixth grade when the only muscles I had that were "fit" were my jaw muscles from munching cereal all day while playing video games.

I haven't been in a weight room in about three years. I'm pretty sure I'm going to kill myself on accident. Probably drop a barbell on my junk or the cable will snap on the pull-downs. Anyway, if you don't hear from me by tomorrow, I'll likely be strung up in the firehouse and used as a heavy bag.

Any advice for full-body weight training? I'm getting back into it in order to continue with my diet plan. Starting in August I went on a "plan" and promptly lost about 30 pounds. I've plateaued since then and nothing I'm doing is making me lose more. So off to the weight room we go....

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Proper technique is important. Light weights with lots of reps is a good way to begin. Don't be one of those folks that always wants to see how much they can bench press, etc. every time you work out. If you don't know how to use a piece of equipment, ask some who does. Warm up and cool down.
Congrats on starting back on the work-outs. Stay with it. It really will pay off.
Keep us posted on how it goes.

·
Registered
977 Posts
If you feel like you've pulled a muscle STOP IMMEDIATELY. Much smarter to skip a workout now, then to sit out 2 weeks because you were too stupid to stop lifting. (Yes, I am that dumb)

·
Crazy CO
18,146 Posts
Do warm-ups; start back up slow; if you feel like you have hurt something stop immediately, adjust your diet; work with your frame, (ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph). Don't forget to do a little aerobics along with the weights, and if you do them without hurting your joints, regular squats will help in maximizing overall muscle gains; as well working larger groups over working small areas a little at a time for over all development. If you are working for strength, (this depends on your age, and after you have worked out slowly for about a month or two), work with maximum lifts. For example, if you can lift weights much over 6 repetitions per set, you are lifting too light; increase your weights. If you are going after endurance, lift high repetitions and low weights. If you are getting up in years, the same as for lifting for endurance. If you are using primarily free weights, especially with barbells, neck apparatuses and the like, USE a spotting partner.

·
Methberry PD
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm lifting primarily for weight loss and strength. I might have overdone it a little tonight- not sure. I followed a basic guideline for total-body workout. Didn't pull anything, just really tired. Arms felt like limp noodles afterward. I did a mix of upper body and lower body. Ran a quarter mile on the treadmill. I know, not much, but I'm way out of season.

·
Massive Member
25,509 Posts
I'm lifting primarily for weight loss and strength. I might have overdone it a little tonight- not sure. I followed a basic guideline for total-body workout. Didn't pull anything, just really tired. Arms felt like limp noodles afterward. I did a mix of upper body and lower body. Ran a quarter mile on the treadmill. I know, not much, but I'm way out of season.
Don't worry. You DID overdo it... if you're tired your first time out, you'll be sore as hell tomorrow, and the day after will be worse... Sorry I didn't see this earlier, might have been able to save you .. :supergrin:

When you're in your 40's or worse, you have to ease back in a lot more gradually than you did in your 20's. Get a large bottle of motrin, icepacks, and if you have to take a couple extra days off to recover from this, no worries. Just go easier last time.

I do about half what I think I can do when I start, and end up sore, but not to the point I have to quit for a week.

Good luck, and keep it up, you won't regret it. Next week, anyway, you may regret it tomorrow. 2nd day out is the worst for me.

Very VERY light aerobic like exercise is great for muscle recovery. Tooling around on a bike or something like that. Not enough to hardly break a sweat. it just gets the blood moving, helps healing/recovery.

When I started up in my 40's, I "knew better", started light on the weights, not too many reps. Didn't hurt a bit afterwards, wasn't that tired. Was still sore the next day. Old sucks.

Much better to start off too light, if you're not sore, ramp it up next time. Better than having to take a lot of time off because you're too sore.

Randy

·
Crazy CO
18,146 Posts
What did you do to drop the initial 30lbs? I could really stand to drop that much if not a little more.
I don't know about him, but I am going to try walking to work when the weather clears up a bit. Exercising in a gym just annoys me any more; even if it is fellow staff members or their dependants.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I already walk to my primary job regardless of weather. It's maybe 100 yards from my house to office door. :) I guess that's one perk of living in the church parsonage.

On the otherhand, I'm about 1.5 miles from the SO. However, I'm only there a few times a month as a reserve.

·
38,473 Posts
Talk to your doctor first before starting any exercise regiment. Let him tell you what your condition is and what you should start off at so you don't kill yourself with a heart attack in the first 5 minutes.

I condensed my workout routine down to 20 minutes or less because I do interval weight training and I don't stop between different exercises. I change the position and keep going so I can get in 3 chest exercises (bench, incline, decline), 1 back (seated row), 1 tricep (extensions), and 1 bicep (curls) while keeping my heart rate up.

If you keep it intense, you get a pretty good body pump.

·
Methberry PD
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, as far as age goes, I'm *ahem* 28...

So I really have no excuse. I'm not feeling too bad at all today. Triceps are sore and my chest is a little sore, but not nearly as bad as I figured I'd be. Tomorrow will likely be worse. I'm not planning on going back until maybe Sunday.

As far as what I did to lose weight, well, my bloodpressure was creeping up this last summer. went to Doc about some other things and he really gave me hell about it (I have a cardiac history in the family of course). So I agreed to "do something." My mom has had good luck with this program called Metabolic Research. It's quite expensive. I went to a consultation and about crapped a brick when they told me how much it was going to cost, money I didn't really have. They had given me a "Pre-conditioning guide" and so I just started following that. My wife made me stick to it and I was eating a lot of protein, a lot of salad. Eggs in the morning, or oatmeal, with yogurt or cottage cheese. Whole wheat grains only, and limited at that. Spinach salad at lunch with tuna or grilled chicken. In the evening I was allowed a "high calorie" meat such as pork chop or steak as long as there was some veggies with it. Lots and lots of water. No pop, not even diet.

And it just started dropping off a little at a time...

·
Methberry PD
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Question about running-

I've never been a runner. In high school, when I was lifting 2x a day and playing football, I could sprint and was one of the fastest linemen on the team. I was a lineman because I wasn't really smart enough to be anything else. I wasn't really big enough for linemen, but they didn't know what else to do with me. Anyway, I noticed yesterday that I ran a quarter mile in about 4 minutes without stopping. More like jogged, and I was winded pretty good, but not as bad as I expected. I'd like to get to the point where I can run two miles without exceeding 20 minutes. What's the best way to work up to that sort of goal?

·
Crazy CO
18,146 Posts
Question about running-

I've never been a runner. In high school, when I was lifting 2x a day and playing football, I could sprint and was one of the fastest linemen on the team. I was a lineman because I wasn't really smart enough to be anything else. I wasn't really big enough for linemen, but they didn't know what else to do with me. Anyway, I noticed yesterday that I ran a quarter mile in about 4 and a half minutes. More like jogged, and I was winded pretty good, but not as bad as I expected. I'd like to get to the point where I can run two miles without exceeding 20 minutes. What's the best way to work up to that sort of goal?
Slowly, since you are in your 40's. Get on an 1/8 mile track and work your way up to it. Also, up and down hills to build strength. If you are in an area that is conducive to provoking respiratory problems, try to run in as clean an air environment as possible. Keep a check on your pulse rate, and you can do that by wearing a device that measures that. I don't have time to look it up at the moment but there are standards for that.

Another thing, before working out have a light amount of carbohydrates. After weight training, and heavy duty running have a little something with carbohydrates and then some protein. If you go to the local GNC, you can check that out, and Walmart carries a few items; or look on line. My advice is stay simple, and eat right. You don't necessarily need to spend a bunch of money on this, with the exception of taking some type of green foods. The green foods are good at helping with recovery because of the nutritive value.

Rest in-between times is one of the greatest tools for making gains in strength and physical condition.

·
Methberry PD
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Slowly, since you are in your 40's. Get on an 1/8 mile track and work your way up to it. Also, up and down hills to build strength. If you are in an area that is conducive to provoking respiratory problems, try to run in as clean an air environment as possible. Keep a check on your pulse rate, and you can do that by wearing a device that measures that. I don't have time to look it up at the moment but there are standards for that.

Another thing, before working out have a light amount of carbohydrates. After weight training, and heavy duty running have a little something with carbohydrates and then some protein. If you go to the local GNC, you can check that out, and Walmart carries a few items; or look on line. My advice is stay simple, and eat right. You don't necessarily need to spend a bunch of money on this, with the exception of taking some type of green foods. The green foods are good at helping with recovery because of the nutritive value.

Rest in-between times is one of the greatest tools for making gains in strength and physical condition.
Dammit Hack I"m not in my 40s!!!!! :wavey: DOB 10/82...

How much truth is their to consuming potassium in order to prevent cramps when running? Something I've been plagued with since gaining weight. Get the shin splints real bad too.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Sooooo....for the first time in X amount of years, I'm actually going to go work out tonight. The local professional FD is nice enough to offer their workout equipment to any and all local LEOs who wish to better themselves in the basement of the firehouse.

On my desk here I have an old police bag with a brand new pair of tennis shoes, a pair of workout pants (it's six degrees out) and a ratty t-shirt. I'm about to pee myself I'm so nervous. I feel like it's the first day of gym class back in sixth grade when the only muscles I had that were "fit" were my jaw muscles from munching cereal all day while playing video games.

I haven't been in a weight room in about three years. I'm pretty sure I'm going to kill myself on accident. Probably drop a barbell on my junk or the cable will snap on the pull-downs. Anyway, if you don't hear from me by tomorrow, I'll likely be strung up in the firehouse and used as a heavy bag.

Any advice for full-body weight training? I'm getting back into it in order to continue with my diet plan. Starting in August I went on a "plan" and promptly lost about 30 pounds. I've plateaued since then and nothing I'm doing is making me lose more. So off to the weight room we go....
Let us know if THAT happens......And keep a few ice packs handy just in case because a barbell to "the junk" is gonna leave a bruise.....:rofl: I'm sorry, but I just couldn't resist....Seriously, I give you a lot of credit. Good luck. It's about time I got motivated to get off my butt and start exercising. I'm not overweight, just out of shape.....:wavey:

·
Unusual Member
1,594 Posts
Remember, the most important thing is not how hard you work out for a month, but how long you stick with it.

Other than that, intensity, frequency, duration. In that order.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Question about running-

I've never been a runner. In high school, when I was lifting 2x a day and playing football, I could sprint and was one of the fastest linemen on the team. I was a lineman because I wasn't really smart enough to be anything else. I wasn't really big enough for linemen, but they didn't know what else to do with me. Anyway, I noticed yesterday that I ran a quarter mile in about 4 minutes without stopping. More like jogged, and I was winded pretty good, but not as bad as I expected. I'd like to get to the point where I can run two miles without exceeding 20 minutes. What's the best way to work up to that sort of goal?
2-MILE RUN

this is obviously a little faster than 20 minutes for 2 miles, so just change the lap and rest time to fit your needs, this is the way to go for building cardio endurance.

Break the 2-mile distance into 400-yard increments (1⁄4 mile, or once around the track) and do eight intervals, running each in 1 minute, 38 seconds -- a pace that's equivalent to a 6:30 mile -- and resting for 60 seconds after each. Each workout, reduce your rest period by 5 to 10 seconds until you can do all eight 400-yard rounds without stopping.

·
Most mackinest
12,547 Posts
Dude,

Skip the weights.

All you need to do is:

Pushups to failure, daily x3.

Sit-ups to failure, daily x3.

Stretch (go online for daily yoga based guide.)

Get on the treadmill. DON'T RUN, since your a fatty (like me). Instead of running, set the incline to max (15 degrees) AND THE SPEED TO 3.0 MPH. Then walk your ass off.

With the incline that high, 3.0 mph will keep your heart rate at 160-170 BPM. Your target at 28 years is 150-160 for weight loss.

Do this for about 4 weeks. It will get your knees ready. There are stretches that will quash your shin splints.

Trust me on this workout. I was 165 when I started LE in 2004.

When I got hit by that drunk last year and blew up my shoulder/collarbone, I couldn't work out and hit almost 260.

With the above, my body is toned, I am down to a svelte 235 lbs and falling, and my knees and splints are tolerable.

Give it a try.

Save the weights for about three months after what I posted above. It was put together by a friend of mine at work who dabbles in Ironman stuff and exercise science/fitness.

·
Crazy CO
18,146 Posts
Dammit Hack I"m not in my 40s!!!!! :wavey: DOB 10/82...

How much truth is their to consuming potassium in order to prevent cramps when running? Something I've been plagued with since gaining weight. Get the shin splints real bad too.
Oops, my bad. Heck, you're one of those darn younguns I tell to get off my lawn!:whistling:

Tomato juice after exercise is one of my favourites. Switchel is another one.
There are all kinds of things concerning switchel in this URL. And, non alcoholic beer, as it is considered by me to be better than Gatorade.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=switchel

1 - 20 of 38 Posts