GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
The Snowflakes have invaded GT
4,318 Posts
If your object is to actually make people aware of breast cancer, forget the gun - get breast!

Implant a nice big set of 44's and wear your shirt unbuttoned really low.
You will get the chance to reach many many more people.

You will then earn our respect for your work in the Breast Cancer Awareness Movement.

Maybe you aren't really that big of a supporter after all?

·
Registered
16,889 Posts
First, good for you showing public support for Breast Cancer Awareness month.

This is a big deal to my wife's family, had lost several of the older family to it back in the 1960's and 1970's, so everyone, both male and female, get checked regularly and several are alive today because they got treatment early.

I'm another person who does not advocate open carry in most situations. When hunting, sure, have my Witness on my hip just in case, but as it makes some people uncomfortable I do not wish to offend, and frankly isn't necessary. I can get to my CCW no problem.

I guess the question nobody has asked is, are you LEO or in a job where open carry is appropriate? If so, rock on and thanks for your support.

·
Registered
125,264 Posts
I'm another person who does not advocate open carry in most situations. When hunting, sure, have my Witness on my hip just in case, but as it makes some people uncomfortable I do not wish to offend, and frankly isn't necessary. I can get to my CCW no problem.
Yeah, I'm only against doing it in public. In the woods or in the fields is totally different.

·
Farmer, House Sitter and Cook
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Are you going to OC at a breast cancer rally
No.

...or just explain it to everyone that gasps at your gun in your daily life?
I'm hoping that it will generate smiles and polite conversation come October.

Why would people gasp at my sidearm?

I'm a uniform cop (patrol) and this is my current duty pistol . I disclose my job in my profile. I thought many of you knew that, because there were many favorable comments following the recently posted photo thread I started showing off this exact same gun with the exact same background only wearing different grips. Some of you who criticize me here even commented in that thread. And in that thread I said that I was rocking it on duty.

So it's open carry at my job and I said that my boss knows. Sheesh.

·
Registered
125,264 Posts
I'm a uniform cop (patrol) and this is my current duty pistol I disclose my job in my profile. I thought many of you knew that, because there were many favorable comments following the recently posted photo thread I started showing off this exact same gun with the exact same background only different grips. And I said in that thread that I was rocking it on duty.

So it's open carry at my job and I said that my boss knows. Sheesh.
Well that makes a world of difference. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

·
Registered
14,398 Posts
So you just feigned ignorance when we all were against open carry?

Sounds like you just wanted to start an argument.

Usually law enforcement doesn't claim to be open carrying. They say "this is what I'll carry on duty".

·
Registered
16,889 Posts
Yeah, I'm only against doing it in public. In the woods or in the fields is totally different.
And even then, in certain situations, it is not appropriate. As I work in the woods, from time to time I encounter neighbors while digging up property corners. I'd rather they see the ghey fanny pack with rolls of pink and orange flagging hanging off of them than the Glock 26 inside the fanny pack.

For those whom have never worn one, an appendix cross draw fanny pack is probably one of the fastest draws for those of us who don't do competition you will find. I've done it one handed while keeping my eye on a couple coyotes once, while not as fast as using both hands is easily doable.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have nothing against OC . But from what ive seen it brings a hole lot of unwanted BS Down on you, as I walk on buy without a hitch :supergrin:

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Like others, I didn't connect that you were law enforcement, and my first instinct was I am not a fan of open carry (I see it fairly often around here, and let others choose for themselves, but it is not for me).

If an officer and this is your sidearm, go ahead and rock the pink! The only thing I would suggest is to avoid the slacktivism element this (and a few other) big causes seem to be developing. Make sure the company who sold you the pink grips donates to a legit breast cancer cause, or do so yourself.

Using the color without kicking in to the cause increases noisy awareness, but all the awareness in the world doesn't solve the problem. We could all wear pink from head to toe, but unless it translates into somebody doing something meaningful, nothing changes... and breast cancer continues on as before, just in more colorful surroundings.

I do like the fact that law enforcement officers get engaged in local events and tie into the fabric. Good luck, and stay safe!

Reactions: CBennett

·
Registered
15,120 Posts
Like others, I didn't connect that you were law enforcement, and my first instinct was I am not a fan of open carry (I see it fairly often around here, and let others choose for themselves, but it is not for me).

If an officer and this is your sidearm, go ahead and rock the pink! The only thing I would suggest is to avoid the slacktivism element this (and a few other) big causes seem to be developing. Make sure the company who sold you the pink grips donates to a legit breast cancer cause, or do so yourself.

Using the color without kicking in to the cause increases noisy awareness, but all the awareness in the world doesn't solve the problem. We could all wear pink from head to toe, but unless it translates into somebody doing something meaningful, nothing changes... and breast cancer continues on as before, just in more colorful surroundings.

I do like the fact that law enforcement officers get engaged in local events and tie into the fabric. Good luck, and stay safe!
yeah I get that also I dont often read a persons profile and I get the same stuff...I will say something like im going from PA to NY or Maine or..well wherever and im taking my snubby....then i get a bunch of PM saying that im evil and violating the law..when in my profile it says covered by LEOSA so its not illegal...guess its pretty normal not to pay attention to peoples profiles :) I know I didnt..sorry OP great cause, stay safe and carry on :) .

·
Banned
663 Posts
If anybody has ever been to a place where OC is acceptable... there is very little concerns by those folks who see it everyday. The more people that see It... the more acceptable it becomes. Obviously... there's a bunch here on GT who don't get out much... or who think that they are the only ones who should be able to carry. Now... the folks who go out carryin' AR's and such for public "shock" value... I disagree with that. However... if it was common-place over a period of time... those rifle-carriers would get absolutely bored because nobody would notice 'em. Ya have to "ease" folks along... over time.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
If anybody has ever been to a place where OC is acceptable... there is very little concerns by those folks who see it everyday. The more people that see It... the more acceptable it becomes.
This is what I believe.

I think it's just like when concealed carry came on the scene, "Oh my god there will be gunfights on every street corner".
The doom and gloom just doesn't happen. The states that have had OC for years proves that.

·
U S Veteran
2,472 Posts
Oh, yeah, in the woods, in my fishin' boat, on the ATV checking things out around my hunting property, I totally OC. But when I leave to go to the area restaurant, I CCW.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't see anything positive about open carry. Especially by someone with no training in firearms retention. If you must open carry get a good belt and a good leather holster with at least one retention feature. Always keep your gun side protected, and be aware of the gun at all times. Be prepared for attention, likely unwanted, and good luck.
s45

21 - 40 of 46 Posts