close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

well i just quit drinking.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BEER, Apr 25, 2013.

1. BEER

BEER bad example

had a hard day and once i closed it up for the day i didn't feel like cooking so i stopped by the diner in town for dinner and to see if my favorite little waitress was there. she was there picking up her last check so i convinced her to hang out while i ate and to talk. i finished eating and we were hanging out having a good time, probably a good 3 hours.

at some point when the waitress came by i started ordering beer instead of soda, and so did the waitress. there at the end i got brave and asked her if she wanted to get out of the joint and she said sure so i offered my place and she agreed. next thing i know we're sitting in my truck and i'm putting the keys in the ignition as if everything is normal.

every alarm bell in my body went haywire. at first i thought something was wrong with her. then it hit me, after a strong 25 year drinking career i'd finally slipped and was about to drive drunk.

i've always prided myself on the fact that my drinking has never cost me a job, a relationship, friend ship, or any sort of truly important event, and most importantly i'd never even been tempted to so much as drive to the corner store a block away no matter how drunk i was.

i explained to her that the night was over, and exactly why. i then walked back in and gave my keys to the diner owner and explained that i would be back for them tomorrow and why. i called a friend to come get me and drive me to the house at which point i poured out every last drop of liquor and beer i had in the house and on property.

it finally happened. alcohol got the better of me and i will not stand for that **** so i am done. cold turkey.

the next few days/weeks/months/years are going to be rough i'm sure so i want to apologize now for my behavior in the coming future. bare with me if you can, ignore me if you must.

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

How ugly was she? HH

3. Trapped_in_Kali

Trapped_in_Kali

Congrats on spotting that and making that hard decision!
    Good luck, the hardest part is making the decision.

4. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

You can do it brother! Been there, quit that, couldn't be happier. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

5. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

Lots of us have made the same call as you. Many of us weren't smart enough to drink for years without driving.

Good for you, sir. Stick with it. Your advantage (and its a big one) is that your decision was an intellectual choice, made of your own volition, rather than something you felt compelled to do after a near accident, a DUI or worse.

I'm thinking you'll do just fine.

6. Caver 60

Caver 60

I sincerely hope you can stay with that decision. Hang in there.

7. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Every man has his own bottom. For some its drug addicted homelessness. For others its jail time for driving drunk and hurting someone. Hopefully, for you, this was your bottom and you can now climb back out. If so, you got away just in time. Congrats. I was there. My bottom was court ordered AA after two alcohol offenses in six days and sit in the county clink. No more for me. That was 15 years ago.

8. BEER

BEER bad example

i've been shot at. handled it.

been kicked square in the chest by a ticked off horse. handled it.

stabbed. handled it.

jumped and beaten damned near to death and left for dead. handled it.

this though? i'm not so sure. i grew up in a drinking culture around drinkers. drinking is simply what men folk did, and i've done it for over 20 years. what the hell do i do the next time i do a solid day's work, or have a rough day at work? how do i reward myself the next time my muscles ache, my head hurts, and i settle in for the night knowing that everything that needs doing is done?

the next time i put a line in the water am i supposed to just sip soda? i mean this is something that is literally ingrained in my dna. i don't scare easy but the thought of living the rest of my life without beer or liquor is terrifying. i know it's just 1 more fight in a long line of fights, and that booze is just 1 more enemy i have to beat, but this fight is the first that has ever scared me.

who or what am i if i fail to win a fight that i started myself?

9. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Congratulations on chocking the tire before the wagon rolled down the hill.

Best of luck tonight, tomorrow, and every sunrise/set thereafter.

TBO

10. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

Good luck. Dive into a hobby that you enjoy and use that to keep you busy and raise some endorphin's. Exercise, biking, photography, build model airplanes, etc.

11. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

This is great advice. Joining a fitness center is a good place to start.

12. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

There are plenty of ways to deal with things other than cracking open a cold beer. Try hanging out with non-drinkers and see how they cope with life. Good on you for not driving drunk!:wavey:

13. jollygreen

jollygreen

You never disappoint. A typically idiotic, rude, low class post.

14. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Well, it's gonna be a test for sure since you associate it with other things you do in life, like fishing, stress relief, etc. Anyways, like the saying goes, you can do anything you put your mind to. You will just have to make different life choices for a little while and stay away from people who may put you back on the wrong path again. I wish you you the best of luck and hope you have good people around you that can help.

15. Riverkilt

Riverkilt

Good decision. You may have some sleepless nights - that's normal. Lots of great folks at your local AA meetings - we're just folks like you who also decided we needed to quit and decided to have fun with it instead of do it alone. There's an AA meeting tomorrow/Thursday night at 7:30 at the Kenefick Southern Baptist Church
    3536 FM 1008

16. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

Beer, it is easier than you think. All you have to do is not drink today. Do that every day. That's all there is to it. :wavey:

Worked for me for 9,672 days so far.

P.S. Change your GT name. :supergrin:

17. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

I quit drinking after a wedding reception years ago. Alcohol did not touch my lips for at least ten years. I drink now a bit. I might drink a beer every night. Having some wine now. Spirits-nope

I got tired of being never tasting the yummy beers and wine out there. Haven't been drunk since the night I tried to destroy that ******** waiter at the reception.

Besides, drinking now and then lets me use the "Can't come in, been drinking" excuse if work calls.

Good on you though. Alcohol destroys lives...or to be not so dramatic is can cause some real pain in the butt issues.

18. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Read that bolded part. Thats a problem my friend. Its dependance. You need it to be happy, to feel rewarded, or to get by(unwind). This is your chance, sieze it.:wavey:

19. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Made the same decision about 4 years ago...although I didn't get to pick up a cute waitress in the process. It was just time for a change of ritual.

For me it took a little time to get used to the change, but I physically felt better and that allowed me to take each challenging situation on with a better attitude and stronger will. I grew up in a beer drinking culture/family also, and I worked in the bar business for a number of years. I still have beer/wine offered at every family function and long ago stopped explaining why I choose iced tea. Also like you I can honestly say I absolutely did not drink and drive, I didn't want to ruin a good night with a very bad decision.

It is what it is, and I'm happy with my choice. I hope you find what makes you happy. Be careful of the public declarations, you will get lots of unsolicited advice (like this!) and pressure to contine. You have to do what is right for you, and as long as you stay off the roads and don't hurt yourself you are doing fine.

20. theblakester

theblakester

"Search your heart with all diligence, for out if it flow the issues of life." Always be true to yourself. Dig deep, not shallow. I respect and commend your decision and your reasoning behind it. Maybe find a good support network who doesn't drink to associate with (friends/family members). Good luck sir.