Well I got me a bike!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by TimP, Aug 22, 2005.

1. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

I just picked up a used 2005 Yamaha YZF600R via aprivate sale on saturday. Its blue and has 5K miles on it. Never dropped, yet :(

I have no experience riding a bike, just what I got riding dirt bikes as a kid. I am signed up for the MSF riders course this weekend, and a cornerspeed riding school in Spet at VIR.

I bought a Shoei Z-II helmet, and the guy gave me a jacket. I know i need some pants, gloves and boots.

2. JAREDG21

JAREDG21

Have fun you bought a good bike now go out and enjoy it.:cool:

3. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

Yeah I rode it about 20 miles around my neighboorhood this weekend. Its a gated community, with very little traffic. I was able to practice "parking" it, walking it, taking alot of turns at slow speeds. With the roads being open, and not much traffic I was able to practice some panic braking scenarios. Get up to 30mph and have to stop quick etc. I was used to riding a YZ 250, so this has a lil more pep, but its managable. I'm going to buy some pants, boots and gloves later today.

4. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

Congrats!

Don't get to stupid with the throttle and check out www.newenough.com.

Have fun!
    Glen

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If you can ride a dirt bike then you can easily ride a street bike. You just need to learn to judge braking distances and throttle response, that's all.

6. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

yeah, its not as fast as the R6 or R1, but its plenty fast enough to beat about any car you would see, and fast enough to get you in trouble. The power delivery is smooth, and pretty linear. I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 12. First a YZ80, 125 then a 250. I'm 5'9 135lbs.

That YZ 250 was fast, but the new bike is crazy fast, but its ( dare I say ) more predictable in how the power comes on. The maini thing that sold me on this bike is how comfy the seating position was. Its a lil on the heavy side, but i can replace some stuff with CF and fix that.

7. Guest

I hadn't been on a bike in 20 years before I got my Shadow last month (August 8th). Now I've got around 1300 miles on it, including a 220+ mile round trip from my house to Kitty Hawk, Manteo and Oregon Inlet. I did it during the week to avoid the insane traffic coming out of VA going that way on the weekend.

I wonder now why I stopped riding back then...;g

It's great being back on the road, feeling the rushing wind, waving to other bikers, and just relaxing! (except when that idiot wants your lane)

8. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I've found the same thing. It seems that dirtbikes are more "jerky" than the streetbikes. I think it's a combination of less weight and different gearing.

9. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Congrats, man. I just got myself an SV650 yesterday, if you didn't see my thread.

10. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

I almost forgot about my blog. I can post the image directly now, hooray for me:

[​IMG]

11. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Definately the gearing. Dirtbikes are geared way low for instant power.

Also you are comparing a 2-stroke single to a 4-stroke I-4. When the 2 stroke is on the pipe it's full power now. The I-4 has more of a power curve (opposed to the 2-strokes almost spike of power).

The combination makes for full power right now kind of sensation on a dirtbike (good for off road where traction may be an issue and a spinning tire helps, not to mention it pays to get the front wheel light in many situations). Streetbikes are genereally more car-ish. Broad powerbands and tall gearing for good top speeds.

They are each specifically suited to the riding environment they were meant for. So a comparison between the 2 (before anyone tries to) is kinda of dumb (make that really dumb). It's like what would win, a lion or a shark? In what environment would the comparison take place?