Well, I Finally Did It

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by FillYerHands, Jan 30, 2020.

1. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

I moved up from D class to C class in USPSA!

I've been shooting USPSA for over 10 years now, starting off in Production, and moving to Limited Minor last year, so I could avoid having to make reloading the main focus of my competition. Well, it worked, and after a shaky start (including a single-digit classifier run), I managed to shoot in the 40's and 50's since. Then, this weekend, I shot well enough that this score bumped the single digit out of the calculation, and bam, I'm a C.

For those interested, I have never been the fastest mover, so my goal has been to shoot better, especially at far targets, and this has worked. I will also say that practicing draws, to get to a quicker first shot, seems to have helped.

So now, looking at my classifier scores, it looks like I can even move up in Production, if I were to shoot the next classifier at 43 or above. Given that this is where I have shot them in the past few months, and given there is really no difference between Production and Limited when shooting classifiers, I wonder if I should shoot Production next match, and should I make C there, let that be my farewell match? Ah, decisions!

And then . . . how do I move up to B? Well, first, I need to shed some weight and get better and faster moving. Plus, shoot all A's, unless by some miracle I win the lottery and upgrade to something that shoots major PF. So, likely it won't be for a few years, any way.

Pierre! likes this.
  2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

If you want to move up in Production with a Glock, then get a G34. It's the largest and heaviest Glock in USPSA Production Division. Shooting a subcompact is no way to move up. Too light, too much recoil, not enough grip surface.

Snoopy47 and Pierre! like this.

3. Bradley T

Bradley T

I've seen some amazing speed and precision with those G34 pistols in capable hands.

Pierre! likes this.
  4. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Congrats!
    Been there, a couple times... :)

Keep working it, and it will get better!

PS - i've seen BIG guys move amazingly fast in my time... so don't give up hope, just try a bit of Leg Conditioning to help you out!

5. stykshooter

stykshooter

Congratulations! ...and I agree with the above advice. When I switched from shooting 17's in minor and 22's in major to 34's and 35's, my scores went up drastically.

In my opinion, a G-34 with a set of Dawson sights on top is the gun for that game.

Pierre! likes this.
  6. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

A friend recently decided that his Plastic Pistole (XD, not G) was holding him back in Limited Minor even though he had just recently made B class. Rather than change gun and caliber, he went Production.

7. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Actually a Glock is not the first best choice for Production anyway. They are far too light. A G17, with empty mag inserted, at about 25 ounces versus a CZ SP101 at 42 ounces. USPSA Production Division is based on the gun list, with empty mag. You are allowed to go over OEM by 4 ounces.

APPENDIX D4 – Production Division 18 Maximum weight Yes. 4 ounces with empty magazine inserted over OFM weight listed on approved pistol list

8. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

From the 2019 USPSA Production Nationals equipment survey. Now at one time, decades ago, Glock was in the lead. But things change. Glock will continue to decline in this Division. For now, CZ has it locked up, but SIG and Walther will gain somewhat.

[​IMG]

9. ronin.45

ronin.45

I didn't even see where the OP said what gun he runs.

10. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Shooting a single classifier does not move you up. It takes 4 correct runs. What Glock are you running?

Classification Bracket Percentages
    Grand Master 95 to 100%
    Master 85 to 94.9%
    A 75 to 84.9%
    B 60 to 74.9%
    C 40 to 59.9%
    D 2 to 40%

11. FillYerHands

A G17 isn't subcompact, but I have considered a G34. But honestly I think I have a lot of people skills to fix before I a new gun will do the trick.

And I've shot 7 classifiers in Limited so far. Yes, the first 4 averaged below 40, since one was, as I first said, a single digit score. But they count the highest 6 of your last 8, and the single digit finally got worked out the bottom of the scores.

My plan moving forward is to take 9x45's advice and get some shooting instruction. All my classes have been about self defense, and I need to get advice from a GM on how to score higher.

12. FillYerHands

Update - that didn't work out. I shot my most recent USPSA match in Production, hoping I could shoot 43+ on the classifier and move up. As it turns out, shooting production is SO MUCH about when to change magazines, that I never really got into the groove in that match, and I shot 27 in the classifier. So, I'm officially retired from Production. So long.