close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Well, back to my bodyguard for backup.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by razdog76, Oct 18, 2011.

1. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

I decided to go with my S&W model 38, rather than my G27 for the foreseeable future.

In the last couple of months I have had to add a wireless mic to my gunbelt, and I still have to find some room for an X26 issued last week.

I haven't shot this gun in every bit of four years! A little dry firing every once in a great while, and shot the entire 60 round course of fire without having to re-shoot any phase.:supergrin:

2. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

After carrying my jframe on my ankle for about 5 years I swapped it out for a G26. I went back to the jframe about 6 months later and dont plan on replacing it again.

The glock is just too darn heavy for ankle carry 48hrs a week. I know alot of guys do it, but for me I couldn't handle it any longer.

3. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

I always carry on my vest. I've tried a couple ankle holsters for j-frame, Kahr, and it was obvious I was carrying there. Perhaps its the jack boots.

I figure being that obvious, any DB can see I had a proverbial ace up my sleeve.

4. puckhead

puckhead

I use my 27 in an ankle holster and don't really notice it unless I am sitting back at the office. I think it is a Bianchi holster but don't know for sure. but it has two straps, one I put just above my boot line and the other around the laces on my boot. There is a third tension strap and with everything right it doesn't move at all. I was issued a little 5 shot revolver, but with my +1 I have 11 shots

5. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Perhaps the best thing the plain lead 38 special loads does is dispatch injured/sick critters.

Capacity is an issue I was concerned about, but qualifying with both my G27 and 38 was not an option.

6. fla2760

fla2760

Don't sell the .38 short with today's ammo choices.
    Speer 135 gr +P "short barrel load" has performed very well for NYPD in those grand fathered in .38's. Carry a couple of speed loaders and or strips if you can. My duty weapon was a Smith model 10 and I always carried a model 36 on my ankle and a model 49 in my off hand pocket.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1347644&highlight=speer+135

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1367780&highlight=speer+135

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  7. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

8. Ajon412

Ajon412

+1......Also, don't rule out the newly reintroduced Federal .38 Spl 125gr Nyclad HP (standard velocity) round:

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/handgun.aspx?id=828

Back in the day, my former department issued a Federal Nyclad 158gr +P in both SWCL and SWCL HP in .38 special for on and off duty......

This load from Bufffalo Bore looks interesting as well:

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=111

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  9. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

I'd be interested to hear how these work. I wear Elbeco uniform pants with the cargo pocket option and I really don't see fitting anything in there except gloves and flat things. I don't think I could get our Taser w/ camera in there, but I'd sure like to not have it on my belt...

For the OP, I go back and forth between my 442 and my G26 for BUG. I love them both but they are suited for different things. I generally carry the 442 anymore.

10. fla2760

fla2760

+1
    The Federal Nyclad is a good load too. I like it in my Ruger LCR as it does not recoil as much as the +P loads in the polymer revolver and it penetrates and expands well. I am partial to quality revolvers for CCW, old school I guess, my G27 has been back to Smyrna so often that it should get a frequent flyer discount. I am going to get a G26 to back up my J frame. :supergrin:

11. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Nothing wrong with a good ol snub...check out the Gold dot short barrel rounds in .38 great ammo.

12. Ajon412

Ajon412

+1 for old school revolver carry....:supergrin: BTW, what's up with your G27?

13. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

It should, since it was designed to replicate the terminal performance the 9mm load NYPD was using out of a 2" 38.

I don't sell it short at all, there is just no point to use the vast majority of other 38 special loads in a 2" since they were designed to work in a 4" barrel. This is especially true of the .357 snubbies. I think the .38 special is a great cartridge. I know I can shoot +P through my gun, I try not to since it is in better shape than I am at 37, and it is about a year older.:supergrin:

Since it will never perform like a gun with a 4" or longer barrel, I think it better to concentrate on being able to make it easier to shoot well to make all 5 shots count.

Plain lead bullets don't shed jackets, and seem to be consistent in performance. Moreover, through dispatching injured critters, I have found in my scientifically flawed analysis, plain lead wadcutters, and semiwadcutters to work very well, if not better than other JHP in other calibers.

14. fla2760

fla2760

The G27 I bought new in 2001 was having repeated FTF and FTE with five different brands of ammo. it went back for that and numerous parts were replaced. When it first happened I ordered 3 new Glock 9 round mags and the problem persisted. It then went back for the frame rail upgrade after I became aware it was within the serial number range for the "upgrade" and most recently when I was shooting the LEOSA course with it it locked up, turns out the number 1 pin sheared in half. :wow: I was on the last phase of the LEOSA course of fire and got off 4 of 6 shots and that was that. I did qualify as my hits were all good prior to that. I also qualified that day with my 642. No limp wristing for the prior problems, all factory ammunition no hand loads. I just got a lemon. :dunno:

15. fla2760

fla2760

I hear you, you may want to consider CT laser grips, I have them on my 642 and considering the circumstances that a BUG would come into play it would be money well spent IMO, assuming that your agency has no problem with it .

16. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Um, no.

We have the Buckeye State Sheriff's Association, and aside from a couple patch changes, the same basic uniform since the early 60's. You guys, and your new fangled technology.:rofl:

17. Cochese

We aren't subjected to having cameras on our tasers (thankfully) so I really don't know.

We wear the Flying Cross Chicago P.D. style six pocket pants. The style code is 39300.

I've successfully switched us to 5.11 PDUs and external carriers effective as soon as I find a local vendor.

Our current pants: (I use the DeSantis holster. It is rad.)

[​IMG]

18. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

I use the DeSantis in my 5.11 class B pants. No camera here, either though. I found it to be a bit bulky at first, but you get used to it quickly.

19. Cochese

Sweet holy jeezus.

I just noticed that on an episode of Cops in Ohio.

Everyone in every department has the same uniform. Holy crap! Why TF do you guys wear your badge on your nipple????

[​IMG]

Our County Sheriff Association pushed us to all have the same livery on our cars for a long time. Throughout the 90's. A lot of the rural departments still follow it.

[​IMG]

20. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

The Ohio Highway Patrol wears their badges there too. I think it is to remove the usefulness of that pocket. Before body armor, it would also protect you from some drunk trying to give you a purple nurple.

I think it is a sharp looking uniform, but dated. It amuses me though because although all of the 88 counties are supposed to follow http://66.161.141.185/oac/311-1, all of the counties have their own nuances regarding ribbons, service stars, campaign or deputy hat, etc.