Welcome To The Great Reassessment.......

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LinuxLover, May 26, 2020.

1. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

All these years ... albeit sheltered.... (thanks, parents) from some of the seedier underbelly of society's failures and dark secrets.....I never realized how the things, I too, take and have taken for granted... are a privilege even here in OOOSUH (USA).

F'rinstance: I cite....... the washing machine......

Forgot the now easier lifestyle for women who could then have all the free time they need to gossip, drink alcohol in public houses, sitting legs apart on splitback barstools, and idyllicly mender into THE (gasp) MEN'S WORLD !

No, hear me here...... this isn't about social status (although I'll happily save that for a future post) ... but it's about: COVID-19.

I know you wondered how I'm gonna spin washing machines into a plague... right? Easy - peasy!

We had SO MUCH .... er, "goodies"... pre-Covid.... and now we find we can very well do without quite a few so-called non-essentials .... seeing as we can practically do anything with practically nothing at all!

I present... NYC.... and the realization that The Big Apple has worms.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
    Frustrated and struggling, New Yorkers contemplate abandoning the city they love.....

Excerpted from: The Washington Post (sorry, no URL)

NEW YORK — It was laundry that broke Mary Shell. Or rather, the lack of an in-unit washer and dryer in her Brooklyn apartment where Ms. Shell, 37, a field producer for reality television, could barely afford her half of the rent before the novel coronavirus pandemic because work had been slow for months. Times are even tougher now that her roommate, also unemployed, has had to move back in with her parents.

Shell was so financially strapped that she began inquiring about various night-life gigs, only to see covid-19 close all the bars and clubs. (“So that’s another job you can’t do in a pandemic.”) Still, her situation might have been bearable if the nearest laundromat wasn’t four blocks away.

“I just want to be able to do laundry without having to drag it up and down a four-story walk-up or pay someone $40 or $50 to do it for me,” said Shell — echoing a gripe of New York City’s apartment-dwellers so timeless that “Seinfeld,” “Friends,” “Living Single” and “Broad City” all have episodes about the indignities of shared laundry facilities. But throw in a pandemic and Shell said the stress has been “exhausting,” noting how she recently showed up to her laundromat to find that someone had handled all the clothes she had just washed.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

Me here....
    The Dinkens, you say!​

2. 9XX19mm

9XX19mm

Poor baby!!! Awwwweeee... :chatter::fist::aodnsb:

I used to have to walk 5 miles... yes walk... one way to wash my clothes at a laundromat... and walk 5 miles back home. With all my stuff in a push cart. Ask me if I give a [email protected] what Karen in NYC has to deal with???

orangejeep06 and surevaliance like this.

3. PBCounty

PBCounty

People get way too worked up about laundry. I love it when my friends / family say they have to "do laundry" as if it's an engaged process. Dude, put it in the machine and push a button. As far as laundry mats go, pack a cocktail cooler and hang out and talk to the chicks who are more or less captive there....no big deal.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    clancy, DannyB, orangejeep06 and 7 others like this.
  4. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

There was a laundromat at my college called "Suds" that was also a bar. You did your laundry, down a few beers, play some pool, maybe make small talk with a girl, get the ritual underway and move on to other establishments.

DannyB, SRS, orangejeep06 and 3 others like this.
  5. Adjuster

Adjuster

Always in the game! :cheers::dancing::drinkie:

/

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

She has to walk upstairs with her laundry? That is really the problem? :rofl:

Wait a second - she didn't have a washer and dryer before the coronavirus, so didn't she have to do her laundry the same way then?

clancy, orangejeep06 and Ross-in-Pa like this.
  7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I used to go to a place in Cincinnati called Sudsy Malone's, where there would be nationally touring bands playing in the bar and people behind you doing their laundry.

orangejeep06, Grabbrass and PBCounty like this.
  8. DaveD

DaveD Ex-Mod Moderator Millennium Member

I was an adjunct professor at a local college for a couple years. It would make me laugh at the kids doing laundry in their underwear as everything else was in the wash.

I do remember my college days where I had to make a decision to do laundry or stop at Kmart to get new stuff.

9. surevaliance

surevaliance

Both of us - my wife and I, - used do walk approx. 3-4 miles to our elementary schools.
    Then same distance - to get back home.
    There was no water in our houses, so we got water from the "community" water well at the end of the block. Imagine Siberian winter when it is -30 C or -40 C outside. Little kiddo is pulling small sleights with 20-gallon water drum, on icy road.
    https://www.t24.su/na-okraine-tajsheta-ustanovili-umnuyu-kolonku-dlya-vody/
    There were wood- and coal-burning stoves in the houses [still in the most houses there]. So, we had to remove an ash, to split a firewood, to sift 2-3 buckets of a coal.
    Sometimes - twice a day.
    Etc., etc.
    I miss my childhood. Real life, real friends.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqbk9cDX0l0

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Ross-in-Pa, bobmitchum and Duramaxsky like this.
  10. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

What is it old people and their disgustingly liberal use of the ellipsis? Was it something that was taught in schools in the '40s, perhaps a carryover from the days of the telegraph?

11. surevaliance

surevaliance

You mean those retired hippies?

12. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

i just want my laundry beaten on rocks by these 3 ladies...
    [​IMG]

Mr Meeseeks, Flags and PBCounty like this.
  13. porschedog

porschedog

When I was a kid growing up in Fort Lauderdale there was a laundry mat next to a strip joint. We also had a topless donut shop. As I was 14, I didn’t get to go To either one. Later we had a topless car wash.

surevaliance likes this.
  14. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

I for one regret the potential for this alleged exodus from NYC.

It means all these millennial weiners will be moving out among us.

It's easier to keep all the nuts in one bowl.

15. Jon_R

Jon_R

I would have thought the life of a fieldproducer for reality shows would be nothing but the best..... huh.

16. Otto Pistol

Otto Pistol

I am not sure “laundry mat” exists.

Is it not “laundromat”?

17. DannyB

DannyB

I'm in TX. Trump is covering a large portion of the wall. We're kicking around the idea of extending it the rest of the way.

18. nmk

nmk

19. Out West

Out West

You lost me here: "Women...drink alcohol in public houses, sitting legs apart on splitback barstool".

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  20. Adjuster

Adjuster

Youre gonna get turned into a horny toad!

/

FullClip and Mr Meeseeks like this.