Weird Things That Happened at the Range

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by JJ Jim McQuade, Mar 11, 2017.

1. JJ Jim McQuade

JJ Jim McQuade

As I'm sitting here working I was things about some of the weird things that have happen on the range. A few years about I was shoot at the range and I witnessed a box of ammo exposed. the box of ammo was on the little table on the on the firing. At first everyone who was their were confused at what happened. We all thought that it was a ricochet that came back and hit the ammo box. it turns out that another shooters casing had flown over the separating walls over 2 lane and the brass end had landed on top of one of the cartridges in the box which the primers were facing up and hit it just right to set it off. So what are some of your weird story of things happening on the range?

2. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

Weird. Many people were touching these little thingies on these other thingies and LIKE MAGIC ... little holes appeared in these flat thin things way over there, and behind that clouds of dirt flew in the air! I almost did not notice because there was a boom of thunder every time they touched the thingie and I was hiding! :kidding:

(Every think what paleolithic man reaction would be at a shooting range?)

3. OBG17

OBG17

I wasn't present, but the exact same thing happened to my firearm instructor. Now we make sure that the ammo is properly secured inside it's box when we shoot.

JJ Jim McQuade likes this.
  4. glock collector

glock collector

Awerbuck told a story of a 40 casing from one student flying into another students 9mm while the slide was cycling causing a jam, he said I would have never believed it had he not been there.

Taco Junkie and JJ Jim McQuade like this.
  5. JJ Jim McQuade

JJ Jim McQuade

Exactly! I do the same now. What was even crazier was seeing the brass casing all exposed and mangled with the bullet laying close by.

6. JJ Jim McQuade

JJ Jim McQuade

Wow. that's so nuts.

7. Copis

Copis

i watched an NRA instructor (with a group of students) shoot the target pulley system inoperable. Ten minutes after that he got kicked out for "flagging" his students. Money well spent for that course!

8. oldengineer

oldengineer

I was spotting cases for a friend shooting his Taurus 1911. He fired a round, there was a double shot and he ended up holding the frame, and his face looked like he was doing an Al Jolson Jazz Singer impersonation from powder blowback. The second round either cooked off prematurely or fired out of battery because it exited from the frame (we think) and blew out the magazine in the process. The takedown pin was blown out and was found a few feet away. Miraculously the only damage suffered by him was a small scratch to his cheek. He packed up the pieces and Taurus repaired it for no charge.

dugansduece likes this.
  9. JJ Jim McQuade

JJ Jim McQuade

wow I'm glad no one was hurt badly.
    w

10. gooffeyguy

gooffeyguy In the STL

Wow, and I thought brass to the face was bad

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JJ Jim McQuade likes this.
  11. refugeepj

refugeepj

stupid unsafe people endangering lives.

was shooting magnum revolver at the local FOP, back in the mid eighties.
    a father sent his teenage son between another live shooter, to my left and me, without calling for a halt. we were shooting and i saw him out of the corner of my eye, called out.
    turned to the dad and asked him why he hated the boy so much.
    after the boy set a target, and returned, they began to shoot 22 rifle past those of us at the firing line, from behind us!
    that was enough to get a very hostile response in the direction of the inbred knumb knutz.
    i ordered him to cease fire, gathered my business and left, with his license number reported to the PD.
    i also expressed my displeasure, and discussed his parentage, in detail.
    saw another doophous setting targets on top of the backstop.
    asked him if he knew there was a lake within range over that backstop.
    his response was brilliant! he said:"so?"
    i then asked if he really was trying to kill a boater or fisherman.
    finally the light went on without me needing to get nasty.
    incidents like these are craziest things that have happened while i was at various shooting facilities.
    stupid people, with zero common sense.

12. Firecop203

Firecop203

No so much as weird as funny. I was shooting my UZI at a small range in a rural area. I did a couple of magazine dumps and a this redneck looking guy in coveralls comes walking up and asks "Is that an AK-47?"

I did the best I could to keep from laughing and told him no. He got a big disappointed look on his face and walked off. He never asked what it was.

13. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Lit the berm on fire with some launched flares. Whoops!

14. JJ Jim McQuade

JJ Jim McQuade

LOL.

15. Pygmalian

Pygmalian

We must remember that for some people, RULES are for everyone but them, and they will go to their graves with that mindset...
    With that said, when I was a cop, before retiring, I'd always see people in their vehicles stopped in a traffic lane waiting for their passenger to come out of a store, not caring about all of the drivers behind them having to wait to get over into the other lane to proceed. I made it a point every time I saw them do this to stop behind them, turn my lights on and walk to their car and get their driver's license, registration and insurance. They were surprised because they didn't think they did anything wrong, go figure. I'd tell them that they were impeding the flow of traffic and I walked back to my car and let them sit and wait a few minutes. I never wrote the ticket but let them think about it. Can't tell you how many times I rode with other people and this happened and they would always comment, I wish I was a cop. People do stupid things but when they realize it was stupid they don't always learn their lesson. Then again, I've seen people accidentally shoot themselves and I can guarantee they learned from it.

Dynactus, Redbike, glock1097 and 4 others like this.
  16. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

When I have my Uzi's or AK's at the range, I am almost always asked, "Is that legal???"

:faint:

Joshhtn, 72Cheyenne and MO Fugga like this.
  17. JJ Jim McQuade

JJ Jim McQuade

If that were me I wouldn't be asking if that was legal. I would be asking to shoot both. :exercise:

orangejeep06, mj9mm and MO Fugga like this.
  18. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Some joker carried a propane tank to the berm at the 200 yd range. I asked him if he was sure it's small enough (humorous sarcasm). Later, the range master told the State wildlife officer I did it 'cause I was wearing shorts. Everyone there was wearing shorts but he said 'yellow shorts'. Mine were khaki. They were going to make me leave for the day over it. I finally said I know who did it, but since I don't want to get shot, I'll take the blame and come back the next day. The officer asked me and my son to shoot at a different part of the range 'till the perp left. Range master confessed, later, he didn't know what color shorts the dude was wearing. The dude that took the tank to the berm was wearing jeans shorts.

Something else was a .45 acp ricocheted from the berm on the pistol range and hit my 100 yd AR target as I was approaching it. I even heard it go over my head. Bullet barely had a scratch on it as if it barely hit the berm, and it's a high berm.

19. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Ah...something else. There were 4 of us on the 200 yd range one afternoon and a buck and 5 or 6 doe walked across the bottom of the berm and decided to take a break, there. After calling cold range, we sat there maybe 10 minutes watching them through our scopes. It would have been like taking candy from a baby, but all we could do is watch. It was kinda cool, though. I've shot a mouse and a water moccasin on that same berm.

20. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Not weird, but very tragic. A death at our local range. Public ******* shooter with an AR10 put a round thru the 4x4 upright on the very top of a 12 foot high berm and it deflected downward into the next row of bays, and hit one of the guys in the back. Our squad was first on scene and detained the public shooters until the Riverside Sheriffs deputies arrived.

short update
    http://www.pe.com/articles/negligence-826969-crime-parents.html

full blog
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1291864