Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately we've been having a problem where the system is running the fan by itself. This is an American Standard Series 80 One-Stage with a Honeywell Chromotherm IV thermostat.

Right now the system is set for AC and the fan to AUTO. Most of the time everything is fine. But every couple of days (sometimes weeks) we would notice that the fan is running but not the compressor. In checking the thermostat it shows the fan as ON instead of AUTO. If we switch it to AUTO the fan stops and all is fine for a while (days or weeks).

Any clues or ideas?

·
Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
29,327 Posts
Thermostat battery? Someone in the home messing with it?

Since the thermostat is magically setting itself to "FAN ON", I'm think it's the thermostat itself.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No one else messing with it - unless the dog has figured out how to reach and change it, it's just the wife and I. Also, in order to switch it you need to open the flip down cover so it's not going to change by being bumped by accident.

Didn't know that there was a battery - will need to pop the cover and take a look.

·
Registered
43,278 Posts
I'm gonna guess thermostat(I'd switch the battery first) or blower control board but that's odd that it switches to ON.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Some Honeywell thermostats have a "Circulation" mode that can be activated in the advanced settings. This will run the indoor fan a certain percentage of the non-cooling time to keep temperatures more even throughout the home. On the focus pro and vision pro stats this is a user setting on the main screen. If the thermostat has been in use and this just now came up, I would change the thermostat. If someone has been in the advanced settings lately and played with the Circulation setting or accidentally changed the application from residential to commercial you could reprogram.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well - I popped the cover and checked - it is not a battery model.

I'll probably wait until it fails more regularly and then replace it.

Thanks for your help!

·
Me fail English? That's unpossible
3,698 Posts
I'm guessing something in the programming is causing the fan to come on. Could be setup for circulating. Anyway to go into your programming and check the fan settings? That's all I got at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I've seen that stat go wonky quite a bit. When it does it more, toss it and put in a different stat. That is NOT one of honeywells better stats.

·
NRA Member
1,415 Posts
poltergeist.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I had a similar problem.
The fan ran but compressor did not run.
Changed thermostat batteries.
About a week later the capacitor started to buzz.
Put in new capacitor and all is well.
The capacitor was a few years old.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts