WEIRD gun comment from my gyno

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mrs. Tink, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Mrs. Tink

Mrs. Tink Semper Fidelis

For the men... no gyno-related stuff in here, so feel free to read on. :animlol:

Every year we have to fill out a little questionnaire about our health habits and lifestyle. One of the questions is, "If you own a gun, is it secured away from young children?"

Well, we don't have kids. I suppose the answer to this question depends on what you consider "secured" to be. I put a short explanatory note next to the question, and this is sort of how the conversation went. (She evidently forgot that I put the same thing on my questionnaire last year.)

Gyno: So you guys own a gun?

Me: We have five.

Gyno: Really? Are they antiques?

Me: Not really. My husband started collecting them when he had a roommate in the Army. I've only bought one of them myself.

Gyno: Well, you know what's going to happen when you have kids?

Me: I buy a bigger safe?

Gyno: You'll find a way to get rid of them.

Me: :shocked:

Gyno: You love your husband, but you love your kids more. Everything changes when you have kids.

So don't tell me to change docs--she's already moving out of state and has referred me to another doc. But I thought this comment was really interesting. I didn't get into a debate with her or anything. But I wonder how many people have had this kind of conversation with their docs, or ANYONE, before. I'm sort of flummoxed. It's like her telling me I won't be using kitchen knives anymore.

2. c-mama

c-mama

Crazy.

I've not had those questions asked of me yet.

But I plan on leaving those blank and telling the care providers it's none of their business. :supergrin:

3. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

they ask at the pediatrician, but not at my annual. I'd have laughed at her if she said that to me.

4. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I don't provide any personal information other than what is pertinent to my health. Its none of their business.

5. MB-G26

MB-G26 Extraneous Lifetime Member

Ditto.

My answer on the form would have been: "N/A" Period, the end.

6. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

That same question was on a new patient form at the doctors office last year.

I left it blank and when they asked why, I said because it's not medical information.

The receptionist did argue.

Doc never said a word.

7. Mrs. Tink

Mrs. Tink Semper Fidelis

:)

I guess I never thought about the "none of your business" angle. I also never really considered, although I know better, that anyone would think anything of the fact that we have guns.

She didn't seem horrified or anything. But she did seem pretty sure that my view would change. Guess I'll never have to tell her that it isn't going to. ;)

8. Grimsi

Grimsi Restored member

This is from your gynacologist right? So the proper answer would have been: " not in my ******" right?

9. BabyTaz

BabyTaz Mrs Codivecop

You are welcome to e-mail her the pic of Sarah with the AR!!:supergrin:

10. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

I kinda resemble that remark, I did get rid of my guns for a combination of reasons during a divorce, and in the resulting custody fight. It wasn't due to the children I got rid of them, it was finances and concern they might become an issue in the divorce..

but it was with strong consideration to child safety that i didn't replace them for some years.

It wasn't one reason, though the proximate cause was busily divorcing someone who had a pattern of impulsive behavior and child abductions.. a GOOD reason to get rid of guns, by my lights..

kids are fine, i'm fine, the ex is the ex. :) seemed to work out.

so, there ARE points where guns aren't the big half. i'm about as rabid a 2A defender as it gets, and my teens both own guns.. but THEY were different people between 8 and 15, and *I* was a different person, ..

yes, for your kids you might JUST find it sensible to be a gunless person. quite so.

That has everything to do with your own circumstances and nature and risk analysis.. and how much gungrabber culture you MAY BE FORCED to wade in your personal life...

FWIW i didn't have whisky or beer or girlfriends or playboy magazines in the house EITHER during those years.. :)

11. codivecop

codivecop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh carp!!!!! I just posted in the Women's Issues!!!!!:outtahere:

12. MB-G26

MB-G26 Extraneous Lifetime Member

I bought this house when kiddo was 6 mos. old. He's now nearly 18.
    I purposefully and specifically bought a house WITHOUT a pool, because I did not trust that no matter what day/time it was, what hour of the night or morning it was, whether I was awake, asleep or in the shower, that I could be 150% super human enough to always know that kiddo had NOT fallen into the pool (despite fencing, pool alarms and all that.)

I have had my .38 Colt Dect. Spec. for eons....long before I had kiddo. It was never down where he or anyone else could 'get it', and at the earliest intellectual opportunity I began to discuss my gun and gun rules and safety with him. He learned that it was true what Mommy said, I WOULD always stop and drop whatever I was doing at any moment that he told me he was curious about my gun, wanted to see my gun, wanted to hold my gun, etc. And I did.

My child never drowned.

My child never unsupervised accessed my firearm.

Hum.

13. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

When a doctor asks a question that has absolutely nothing to do with one's health issues, and everything to do with said doctor sticking her little pinko-commie nose where it doesn't belong, it is best to tell said doctor that she has just tread into "boundary issue" territory, and that her prying into your private life/ownership of firearms/fast cars/WTF-ever will next be addressed at a medical ethics board hearing. Perhaps given a choice between her license to practice medicine vs. her desire to advance her political agenda at work, she may find that medicine pays better.

One goes to the doctor to have one's healthcare dealt with, not to hear some pinko gun-grabber lecture.

YMMV

14. sweetatergal

sweetatergal

I'm still wondering why the gyno's office thinks it is any of their business wheather or not you own guns? :headscratch:

I can't even say that the pediatrician has ever asked the question either. Their office just keep baggering me for my kids SS #.

I think I would have to give the doc a piece of my mind on how I felt about he/she asking that kind of PERSONAL question that has not relivance of my current health issues.

15. sweetatergal

sweetatergal

Yes you did! And thanks for sharing the pics with you spending quality time with your daughter teaching her gun safety!!!! :thumbsup:

16. iron medic

iron medic My Little Men!

Since my wife and I have kids (3) she has gotten more into home defense. Just bought her a new Rem 870 in 20ga. Something about motherly protection of blowing the "carp" out of anything in the house that aint suppose to be there and headed towards the kids room.
    :banana: :banana: :banana:

17. sweetatergal

sweetatergal

Something about a mother and her offspring....I can yell and scream at them as much as I want, but don't let a stranger that is not suppose to be there lay a FINGER on one of their hairs on their head!!!!

18. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I refuse to answer any questionnaire, period!

I.M.O. = Tell her to shut her communist pie hole!

Brain washed AMA conditioned idiots.

A major effort by the AMA and others to brain wash more of the citizenry!

:shocked: :rant: :burn: :shocked: :puking:

19. Magicmanmb

Magicmanmb RIP BUDDY

We get that ?? and do you use your seat belts every time you get in the car. The Peditricians ASSociation suggests they ask them.

Answered yes we have plenty of fireams in the house but if you have something you want to sell let me know, I want to be first in line.

Currently building my neurologist a customized 91/30 Mosin

and my neurosurgeon a .45 for IDPA shooting.

Since I get a mothers day present my step kids call, me a mother, I guess I can post in womens issues for this one only.

20. kcb

kcb Southern Lady

Same here!!

I do not recall ANY of my doctors or pediatricians
    EVER asking me those questions.

I'd say I do love my children and I will be sure that they are ALWAYS safe in the way that I feel is best.

Nothing else is a concern of theirs! I didn't have my OWN gun while my children were little, because I was afraid of them. I, fortunately never had to protect them from physical harm.

I DO have my own gun, now!

My husband has always had guns. Well, I did have my dad's 22 but didn't know how to use it. They were all secured away safely where he could get to them but the children could not.

Unbelievable.