close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

weird...better accuracy with the g26 than with the g19...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by nEEdLzZz, Mar 16, 2012.

1. nEEdLzZz

nEEdLzZz

first all hi guys! i'm new to the forum...my first own thread :tongueout:

anyway...as of now i own two glocks, a g19 and a g26.
    i've had the g19 for about 3 months now and purchased the g26 about 2 weeks ago...

so far i've put about 600 rounds through the g19 (with a lot of brass to the face and one FTE) and like 250 rounds through the g26 (no malfuctions)...

i went to the range yesterday with both of them. started with the g19 on 20 meters (22 yards)...shot a horrible group (10cm apart)...then i switched to the g26 and my accuracy went way up..shot groupings of like 3-5cm apart..

how can this be? i mean, the g19 has a longer slide and all, which should be more accurate, right? anyone else experienced something similar? granted, i'm new to shooting handguns (was in the airforce though, but we never shot that much with handguns)...

was pretty impressed by this little gun so far and it is now my favourite gun...btw i own 4 guns in total:

- walther pps (the trigger really sucks on this one..i guess it just needs to be broken in)
    - glock 19
    - glock 26
    - SIG p226

ok, the accuracy on the SIG is something else..but then, nothing can compare to a SIG, right?

PS: excuse my english, i'm from switzerland :D:tongueout::supergrin:

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Many people report being more accurate with the sub-compacts. I'm more accurate with my G27 than I am with my G23. I think it has something to do with the grip, perhaps the hump on the backstrap of the sub-compact being higher up on the grip forces a tighter, more stable grip. Or perhaps the lack of a pinky finger hold on the grip prevents the pinky finger from adversely affecting the grip. Hickok45 said in one of his videos, and I personally find it to be true, that the pinky finger is the weakest finger and can't really contribute anything positive to the grip, it can only act to throw your accuracy off.

3. nEEdLzZz

nEEdLzZz

thats a valid point. never really thought of that...when i first shot the g26, it felt A LOT "snappier" than my g19...but after a couple of rounds i got used to it..and the trigger also smoothened up...damn i love this little gun :supergrin:

4. DocCasualty

DocCasualty

My theory too, voyager, that it is based on the grip, though I'm not sure what aspect of the grip it is. It seems counter-intuitive but that 5th finger seems to be more trouble than help.

I've seen this question pop-up before and some folks believe it is because of a shorter barrel and tighter lock-up, etc., though I'm skeptical those are the reasons.

5. fowler

fowler

The short grip keeps you from pulling to the left when you pull the trigger.

6. greenlion

greenlion

GLOCK frames flex slightly upon recoil. The subcompacts flex less because they are shorter and relatively stiffer. People also find the G30 more accurate than the G21 for the same reason.

7. unit1069

unit1069

Yes, I've noticed that also.

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

If the triggers are the same, then it is the grip.

And except for the best shooters on the planet, it has absolutely nothing to do with accuracy differences between the various guns, themselves.

Many good shooters will find the longer sight radius and full grip to be to their advantage. But every gun fits people differently :)

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Could be something like that, exactly. The interaction between faults and how the grip fit magnifies or doesn't magnify those faults for specific shooters.

Until someone is capable of consistent off-hand groups of about 2" at 25 yards with some gun, then accuracy issues are likely to be with the shooter himself. And even then, a suspect problem gun might still just take getting used to. Some guns just make it easier for the shooter :)

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Pretty common - go to a few GSSF matches and you'll see people shoot the same course with several Glocks. It is common to be more accurate with a subcompact, regardless of whether you shoot it first or last.

11. HK Dan

HK Dan

Simple. When shooting the G19 relax your opinky finger. It should just be resting on the grip and adding nothing to it in terms of strength. This will help keep you from milking the grip too, but the main thing is to relax that pinky finger.

Your situation is common with new shooters. The pinky finger crunches down as your trigger pull increases, and Voila! You shot is off just as the trigger breaks.

12. JohnnyC76

JohnnyC76

This is interesting. I have a 17, am picking up a 26 today and heading to the range with some buddies tomorrow. Will have to test this pinky theory

13. Radian

Radian

Freaked me out the first time I shot mine. It indexes and transitions like no other pistol I have.

Best times on splits were on a G4 26 in a bug match with a 17 mag stuffed in.

Cycles anything including 125,000 pf probably not making power floor rounds.

Very happy with this pistol.

14. nEEdLzZz

nEEdLzZz

thanks for the input guys...i guess it really has something to do with the pinky ^^

i also shot the g26 with the type of mag, which allows you to rest your pinky on the extention...my shots werent as accurate as with the normal flush magazine..

15. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

:welcome: nEEdLzZz,

I'm curious, is your G19 a Gen3 or a Gen4 with dual recoil spring?

Massad Ayoob has commented about the better accuracy of the Gen3 sub-compacts, with shorter barrels and dual recoil springs, versus the full-size Gen3 pistols with single recoil spring.
    Mas Ayoob: " I've seen the G21 do 1.5" or a bit less at 25 yards for 5 shots, off the bench, but I've seen the G30 do UNDER 1.0".

If you ask in one of the general forums in GT, you'll see the same with the 9mm Glock 26 versus the 9mm full size Glock 17, and I for one have certainly seen the same with the snubby Glock 27 in .40 versus the Glock 22 full size in the same .40 S&W chambering.

The reason seems to be twofold. First, the shorter barrel gun has a relatively more rigid barrel, when you measure width vis-a-vis length. Second, and perhaps more important I think, is that the G30 in .45 ACP and the Baby Glocks in standard frame size have the double captive spring design in their recoil springs. This seems to better guarantee that the bullet is past the muzzle before the mechanism begins to unlock. That gives a more consistent barrel alignment shot to shot, in relation to the plane of the sights that are aiming the gun.

There is another gunmaker (which will remain nameless here) who made a 9mm double action auto that generally was doing well if it shot a 2.5" group at 25 yards out of the box. However, the company offered a variation for twice or more the price that did an inch at 25 yards. The guys at the "custom" section of the factory told me a big part of that was a different recoil spring assembly that guaranteed the bullet would be out of the muzzle before it began to unlock. Those guns used to go about $1500 retail. You get the same effect in the Glock 30 at no extra charge, with every standard G30 that leaves the factory. "

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  16. Apprentice

Apprentice

My theory is that what Voyager said and tighter more consistent lockup with the double captured RSA. This latter I hold because our Gen 4 17s and 19s are more accurate than their Gen 2 and 3 cousins we shoot side by side to them.

I don't experience this phenom myself but I cured dikkking up my Glock shooting by holding them all like a G26 - choking them up high high, relaxed down low.

17. nEEdLzZz

nEEdLzZz

both my glocks are gen3..g19 and g26 od green...

18. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

If the gun fits, you will be able to hit.

19. Geno

Geno Millennium Member

nEEdLzZz,
    Your English is better than a whole lot of Americans! :) I had a similar experience. I found that my G26 was also more accurate than the G22 I used to own. The G22 is gone but my G26 will never go!

Some good info here.

20. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

nEEdLzZz,

Welcome to GT! I found the same to be true for me as well. I had a G19 first, then picked up a G26. I shoot the subcompact a lot better than the compact, which left me to wonder what I was doing differently.

I discovered that the two-finger grip method works best for me, and I really don't rely on the strongside pinky for grip, even with the larger-framed models. I've found that if the top of the grip is held tightly and the bottom a bit more loosely, that I get better movement with the trigger finger. Apprentice mentioned this earlier, and I have to say that this method works for me.

That is why I don't employ any sort of pinky extensions on any of my magazines--it's because I really don't need them.

I also have a P226...it's the new Mk 25 model.

Enjoy your new G26!