close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weimaraner a smart, trainable dog ?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by FloridaG31, Oct 26, 2004.

1. FloridaG31

FloridaG31 Humble Glocker

I'll be in the market for a pup soon and I've always wanted a Weimaraner.

I can't remember if I read or heard once that they were kinda dumb and hard to train.

Anyone have a lot of experience with this breed? I'm very interested in a well trained dog and am willing to put in the time, I just don't want to try with a breed that isn't trainable!

I think it's the most handsome breed of any dog !

Thanks !!!!!

;c

2. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

i've heard they are smart, but have never had experience with one.

one thing to know is that the smarter the dog, the more you'll have to train it. not necessarily as a factor of intelligence, but because they can wanna be the boss ;)

3. Jon509

Jon509

My boss has one and he is as dumb as a box of hammers. He will sit, stay, etc., but when it comes to walking around sense he has none.

Jon

4. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

i've been taking my dog to training since i bought him 2 years ago. there have always been weimeriners in my classes. some were pretty smart while others weren't. actually, the trainer at the facility i currently attend breeds and show weimeriners and they are her favorite breed. i think any dog is trainable if you're willing to put forth the effort. :)

5. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

I knew a smart Weim a number of years ago. He was well trained, and well mannered.

However, my uncle had farmdog Weims, and those dogs were ill tempered and not trained...

I guess it's a matter of YOU putting in the time & effort to train the dog.;)

6. blackbox1011

blackbox1011

I have a 2 year old weimeraner. Hes a great dog. Hes pretty smart and super super loving. I dont think he likes anything more tha cuddling up. They are awesome dogs but take some work. Let me know if you have any specific questions.