close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weightlifting question?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by malleable, Jul 19, 2012.

1. malleable

malleable

Assuming that you can bench 100 lbs x 10 reps max, is there a formula that would show your probable 1 rep max bench?
    If you could do 200 lbs x10 would you simply double it, 300 lbs triple, etc?
    Probably a stupid question but can't find a logical answer.

2. Detectorist

Detectorist

3. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

There are calculators out there and some of them are *fairly* accurate.

...but no, 200 x 10 wont get you to 300. You need to be in the 225-250 range and at 8-12 reps.

The thing to keep in mind about lighter weights and higher reps and then extrapolating a max is, for the calculators to work, (they will give you a number, but it is meaningless if the weight is too light and the reps too high) you have to know some weights within 20% or so. Heavy is heavy and if you dont know what you can do with heavy low rep, you wont put up a number because you have done a lot of light high rep stuff.

For example, if the calculator says "200 x17"....and you can do that and that is as heavy as you have been, if you throw 300 on the bar, you are not ready for that weight and have not done the work up to move that weight.

4. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

My high school junior year my max bench of 330 lbs, my two heavy sets were 225 x 7-8 and 255 x 4-5... I could do 135 into the 30+ rep range for whatever that's worth...

I think any formula is not really any better or worse than an experienced guess..

5. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Formulae like that are not always accurate. When I was benching 501, the most I could for 10 reps was about 295. That was because my training was focused on lifting a max single, and there was no reason to do a lot of reps. Conversely, just because someone can do 10 reps with a particular weight doesn't necessarily mean that he can single the weight that the chart suggests he can. You have to train heavy to lift heavy. Doing sets of 10 will not confer the brute strength, stability and nervous system conditioning to do a max single that is commensurate with the chart unless you are training on a progressive overload system.