close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weightlifting belts?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by mossy500camo, Sep 21, 2006.

1. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

What kind of belts do you guys use? Standard leather, Valeo, etc?

2", 4" etc?

2. DBradD

DBradD

In the old days, I used a typical leather belt (forgot the width--a very average one) for rows, shrugs, and a few other things and a powerlifting belt for heavy squats and deadlifts. I didn't use a belt at all for curls, etc.

Looking back on it, I'm not so sure that this was the smartest strategy. If I had it to do over, I think I would use belts A LOT less in an attempt to help strengthen stabilizing muscles. I haven't read anything recommending this--just an idea that I came up with later on. I don't know what others do.

I'm doing only bodyweight exercises now, so I don't need one at the moment.

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

When I was competitively powerlifting, I wore a four-inch leather lever buckle belt. Now that I am not competing, and thus am lifting quite a bit less, and am actually giving weightlifting a shot, I don't wear a belt. Once in a while, I'll throw the belt on for a heavy squat, but I don't think it's seen the outside of the gym bag for at least two months.

4. malkore

malkore

I lift more bodybuilder style than powerlifter, so I don't even own a belt. I'm never doing 1rep maxes or anything, so I go unbelted so I can work the core when squatting, deadlifting, etc.

5. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Atta boy!

6. California Jack

ateamer.... Are you splitting or squatting?

Anyhow, so this isn't a thread hijack, Mossy, I don't wear a belt either.

That idea has been written about a lot. Some authors suggest that if you need a belt to wear it only on top sets so the core can get worked on the earlier and backoff sets.

7. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

+1

I always thought you were only supposed to use a belt when lifting around 80% of your 1 rep max and up.

I have a 4" wide Inzer leather belt that tapers down in the front. It's overkill for what I do. I only used it for squats and shrugs, when trying to add extra weight. Haven't worn it since last fall, but I plan on dragging it out soon.

Not wearing it has probably been a good thing.

Just last week I was talking about belts with a guy at work. He said they support your back because they are stiff. I tried explaining they support the back AND core, and compact all your insides around your spine for support.

Hope I wasn't wrong. ;)

8. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Squatting. Actually, more like dipping the hips to a bit above parallel on the C&J, and more of a quarter squat on the snatch. A decade of powerlifting-style squatting has made my quads and achilles tendons very tight, so it's hard to drop. Speed is coming along quickly, though. My body type is well-suited for explosive activity, and I quickly adapt to learning movements.

Doing a set of five C&J or snatches is a lot harder than a set of five bench presses with the same percentage of max; full-body exercise done with a lot of speed versus a slower movement in a single plane of motion with a fair amount of isolation. Weightlifting also requires a faster workout with shorter rest periods between sets, so I am getting some good conditioning from it. My mobility and agility is coming up, too, and my desire to train has been rejuvenated.

I'm having a lot of fun with it. Learning the technique is quite a challenge. Did a 215 PR clean today for a double and a PR 130 snatch (pounds for both, unfortunately, not kilos) for five reps. The snatch felt like I was good for maybe 145-150 for a single. Not much weight, but going up every week and technique is also improving. One one of the snatch reps today, the bar actually brushed my chest; that's a big improvement from it being a good 10 inches in front two weeks ago.

My goal is that by the end of the year, I will C&J bodyweight (245) and snatch about 65-70% of that. Also, both will be done with proper, full-squat technique. Once that goal is met, then we'll proceed from there.

It's also really nice to be rid of the shirts, suits and wraps. Never did really like them, and hated the bother of adjusting training for them, and the actual physical discomfort of using them.

9. California Jack

ateamer,

Are you getting any coaching? I got my first bit of coaching last week. I split snatch and squat clean, turns out I'm all screwed up. Hips rise too fast and I'm not finishing my pull. As far as cleans go, I seem to be doing good. Jerlks need work, but according to the coach I'll get there. Unfortunately, this coaching was a one shot deal.

About your flexibility: Are you doing plenty of front squat, dare I say, to rock bottom?:rofl: How about Overhead squats?

Sets of five for the quick lifts are taxing, I agree. Heck a max C&J gets me breathing harder than a tough set of 5 DLs. Sets of five with minimum rest are good conditioning. I wouldn't push the reps any higher, I seldom go over 3, fatigue can lead to bad form.

A few weeks back at a body weight of 212, I C&Jed 215. I have snatched a liitle over 75% of that so I'm ready eh! Actually, I can clean much more but can't jerk more so I have never really tested my limit in the clean. About all I know is I got 225 for an easy single.

When I was trying to pick a weight sport to particicpate in I choose Weightlifting instead of PL for the reasons you listed plus I work out alone and no spotters are needed.

About your tight achilles, are you wearing a heeled shoe?

ateamer, please keep me informed with you progress.

Jack

10. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I had one short coaching session with a friend who is a competing O-lifter (former British Commonwealth Games competitor) and coach. He is still an active coach and lifter in the Bay Area. I can get with him again, and will try do so in the next month or so. He has also offered to look at videos of my lifts when we can't meet face-to-face.

Front squats will happen when my wrists loosen up. Right now, I am too much of a (feline) to handle much weight. I am going to try looping straps around the bar until the wrists get limber. It's pretty much the same with overhead squats. Tight knees keep me from going down far, but I am going to start doing them with just the bar to get the muscle memory going.

I am wearing weightlifting shoes - the rare Nike Lever. I bought a pair in 1990 and they had already been discontinued. I will get a pair of Adidas at some point; it's my understanding that the Nike shoes have too soft a sole, especially compared to the Adidas with the wooden wedge. I've been working on achilles tendon stretches. The other limiting factor is very stiff knees. They don't want to go forward very far. I am sure it is from the very minimal range of motion and quad usage in powerlifting squats; as you probably know, the most efficient PL squat only sees the upper leg moving through about 90 degrees of motion, and virtually none from the lower leg - the knee stays put and doesn't move forward at all, thus minimal quad recruitment. Over the last few weeks, though, I am seeing improvement.

What I really need is a true weightlifting bar and some bumpers. I've already gouged the platform in my garage by dropping iron plates on it. I'm going to replace the outer part of the platform with rubber matting, and find some bumpers somewhere. The 30mm power bar isn't really right for weightlifting, either.

11. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Oops, hit the "quote" button instead of "edit".