close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

weight loss plateau

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Cooper, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Cooper

Cooper

i have lost over 40 lbs in the past 2.5 months. i'm eating 1200 calories a day, min 20 minutes of cardio per day, elliptical 3x per week, weight training for mass 3x per week.

the past three weeks i've lost 1 pound. ONE. this is driving me crazy.

some things i've read suggest that i should incorporate a "Cheating" meal once a week to bust the plateau. any truth to this?

thanks! sorry this is so rushed, i'm late for class . . .

2. NeroGatto

NeroGatto Extraordinaire'

That's alot in a short period of time... I'm no expert but by personal experience keep going and in the next few weeks it should start losing again.

Also, check up on this but 1200 calories a day you might be starving yourself for too long period of time. Maybe ease up to 1500 calories few a bit but make sure you eat no more than 250-300 calories a "meal" and have 5-6 meals a day. (If you already weren't doing that)

3. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I plateued at about 40 pounds too. Fortunately, this was at a weight that was less than I wanted to end up at. So the solution for me was to gain weight.

You proably aren't in that situation. I think the body adapts. If I were yuou I would change something. Add a cheat meal. I actually had a cheat day. Add a cheat day. Change from a low cal diet to a low carb diet. Up your calories a little and eat more frequently as already suggested.

Change your cardio. Instead of 20 minutes on a elliptical do repeats on a rower. Start training for a 10K. Start pulling a weighted sled for your cardio. Walk for 45 minutes to an hour, that is good for fat loss and can actually be enjoyable. Up the intensity on the elliptical, do HIIT on it.

Switch up the weight training. Start with a kettlebell style routine. Intsted of training for 'mass' start a powerlifting type routine. Do a 20 rep squat workout.

Add ten or fifteen pounds. Some of it will be muscle mass and that should up your metabolism for more weight loss.

One thing, do you eat a good breakfast? You need to. One other thing, do your cardio when you get up in the morning and than don't eat for an hour afterwards.

Change something. If it works, ride it til it stops. If it doesn't work, change up something else. There is no easy answer, and the journey is part of the fun.

Good luck,
    Jack

4. DBradD

DBradD

I busted about 3 plateaus during my quest. My best advice is to loosen up on the calories a little to 1500 and exercise about 3x as much. 20 minutes might seem like a lot of cardio but is really isn't. Lower the level and do the exercise for 60 minutes, 5 days/week and see what happens. Keep up the 3 times per week weight training. I think you'll bust your plateau if you do this. BTW, I think 1200 is too low for a grown man, so the others' speculation about "starvation mode" really wouldn't surprise me. I went from 202 to 168 (9% bodyfat and about 4 waist sizes) using a 1500 calorie diet, in about 4 months. I've been at that weight for a couple of months now, I think--kinda lose track of it after a while.

Good luck.

DBD

5. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Not Enough Gun

What's your current condition like? If you're getting into lower body fat percentages, like low teens, you'll really need to examine your diet and get it dialed in to see any further progress. You also need to take into account body composition in general, if you've begun exercising regularly after not doing so for a while, you may have gained some muscle mass which would skew the results on a scale. In my experience, the advice you've already been given is pretty good, you might want to add some calories back into your diet, either spread over the week or in one reasonable cheat day. I'm not that big a fan of steady state cardio, mostly because it's really, really boring. You might want to look into something like high intensity interval training as an option for cardio training.

And if you're completely insane, there's always Tabata squats.

6. Cooper

Cooper

thanks for the replies. i am 5'11", 235 lbs. down from 279.

today i ate about 2000 calories, uped the cardio by ten minutes. because of my schedule (senior in college, hanging an exhibition in a week, etc) it's not possible to exercise much more than i already am.

i will try some of the advice suggest, though. after my show i'll be able to work in a little more exercise, and even more after graduation. i'm not willing to wait that long, so i'm giving myself some extra calories for a few days, and starting the transition from 20 min walks to 20 min runs. need better shoes, though.

7. thaddeus

thaddeus Millennium Member

When I was trying to trim down I hit just such a plateau. A good trainer told me that I was not eating enough! My metbolism had shut down. I started eating 6 times a day, forcing down grilled chicken when I was not even hungry, all this boosted my metabolism and the last bit of fat melted off.

8. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I would ease back on the working out and relax a while on the calorie counting. The goal is supposed to be something that you can maintain for many years. I have been back to the gym for the last 16 months and have been within ten pounds or so the last year. That is not a failure , it is progress from where I was a year and a half ago.

Staying the same and living normally is not a bad deal for your body. Remember that almost all diet folks put back on at least as much weight as they lose.

I am gradually hitting the gym more ( I try to hit half the days in a month ) and just don't eat stupid for more than a day at a time if I lack sense for a short period of time. Not beating up on yourself for every hour you are not running, or for every junk food visit is really important. You need to think long term as in years , not this month or this week.

9. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

I think it is best to get a scale that also does a body fat analysis. Depending on what kind of physical work you are doing, your weight may stay the same, but you are dropping fat and inches. I have lost 25 pounds, but becasue of the weight lifting I have dropped like 12+" and 6% body fat that I know of. I should have bought the scale when I first started.

10. California Jack

I can't speak about all of those type scales, but mine doesn't work properly for me, and I kinda think the same of other scales.

According to the literature that came with my scale, it says the scale is not accurate for athletes. It goes on to define athletes as those with resting pulse reates less than 60 bpm. The literature is right.

Jack

11. DBradD

DBradD

Great. I just ordered one of these. :frown: I was about 2 seconds from getting on here and asking whether or not they work.

Hmmm. I could drink a bunch of caffeine and get my pulse over 60--I wonder if it would work then. :clown:

DBD

12. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

On the scale I have, it has seperate programming for those that fall into the athlete category.

13. California Jack

DBD,

That's only my scale. You probably ordered a better onm that will work for you. Let me know if it works out.

Jack

14. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

Worry about fat loss and not weight loss. Eat a bit more, add in another 10 minutes of cardio and let your waistline do the talking, not the scale.