Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just finished my first week of ateamer's split. I remembered something and learned at least 2 things.

I remembered the reason I like full body workouts. It is easier if you miss a workout. If you miss one workout your whole body will get worked the next time you work out. On a split, if you miss a workout, it is a loing time between workouts for that section of your body. Now, it wasn't me that missed a workout, but my son missed one because of music lessons. I hadn't planned properly. WHat I did was workout 2 consecutive days to make up for it. I thought that might be OK since it was different halves of the body. I guess this is one advantage to full body workouts.

What I learned is that I have a terrible work capacity on my pressing movements. Today was the second pressing movement day of this week. SO, according to my understanding of the slpit, I was supoosed to be in the 6 to 8 rep range. I was shootring for 8 reps. By the time I got to presses, I was shot. I was at about 60% of my 1RM to squeese out 6 reps. It was awful. I have trerrible work capacity!

Another lesson learned is that since I never train at anything greater than 5 rep sets, eight reps is darn near impossible. I really had to back off the weight to get that many reps, even when fresh. 8 reps in the CGMP made my tris feel really pumped. One of the reasons I like low reps is because I don't like that pumped feeling.

As a side, as a finisher, I did 50 sandbag loads into the back of my truck. That was fun.

Jack

·
BIGASS!!!!
2,836 Posts
Lots of learning going on there Jack!:supergrin:

Sometimes I wonder (or worry) if my volume is too low and hindering my work capacity.

Any pressing always seemed hard if it wasn't done early in the routine.

And I hear ya on the 5 rep thing. Within the past month (as an experiment) I started working in 8s, 5s, and 3s on my benching. Months of 5s was getting stale, and trying 8-10 heavy reps was torture. So I am going to try to cover a little broader rep range.

How much does your sandbag weigh?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Brad I know where you're comi9ng from. A few months back I did a 50 rep in 20 minute squat routine. I definetly could tell the volume was doing something for me. I think tis split will be a good expirement with volume.

Never weighed my sandbag, but I think it weighs around 110. Nothing heavy, just trying to get the ol ticker pumpin.

·
BIGASS!!!!
2,836 Posts
50 sandbag loads into the truck is impressive.

I'm not sure I could pull that off, my Dodge Ram has 8" of lift and 36" tires. So its about 10" higher than the average truck. :supergrin:

Excuses, excuses ,excuses......

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going back to full body workouts. I have decided I do better with more frequency/less volume. I will consider starting the workout with different lift each time ie. week one start with the pressing exercise, week 2 start with the squat exercise week 3 start with the pull exercise repeat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts