close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Website for Small Business

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by GrapeJape, Aug 26, 2004.

1. GrapeJape

GrapeJape

I have a good friend who has a small business that is in need of a basic website. Nothing major . . . just an advertisement on the web containing product information and contact information. He has Bellsouth business DSL at his store and has asked me about setting up a web server and web page. I know some HTML and web design (enough to be dangerous) and probably enough to set up a web server with a few calls to technical friends, but I am of the opinion that he would be better off paying someone to host his website off-site for a monthly fee. I have heard good things about http://www.simplehost.com/ and it doesn't look like you can beat the price ($7.50/month including domain registration). I believe that I could handle the web page creation and eventually turn that over to him and his wife. She is a graphic designer as well, so she can create custom graphics and logos for the website!
    Any opinions or advice on this? Am I wise to steer him away from the webserver (that he wouldn't have a clue as to how to manage himself)?

- Jason

2. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

my husband just started a small online business and is having it hosted at www.1and1.com. a business site was only $10 a month. they have other hosting packages for $4.99/month. now let me tell you that my husband is the manager of IT for his company and knows plenty about computers but decided to go with 1and1.com instead of buying a web server.

a great place to get predesigned templates is www.alltheweb.com and www.steves-templates.com. i'm a freelance graphic designer/web designer and sometimes it's just easier to pay for the premade designs and edit them with your information, esp. when i have people who want websites done in a rush.

good luck. :)

3. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

4. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

You buy me a hi cap magazine for my glock 17 and i'll host it for the next year. (dns provided)

I have a linux server, no front page server extensions.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

It's not worth it. Too much work trying to keep it running 24/7, backing it up, maintaining it. It would be much more cheaply and reliably maintained on an external server.

6. Training Junkie

Training Junkie

ditto hwyhobo. get an outside company that has redundacy, backup, been in biz awhile, etc. don't always go for cheap.