close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Website Development

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Helot, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Helot

Helot

I work for a fire department in Southern California and the association (union) is currently developing / refining a website. One of the goals of the website is to foster debate on various issues.

I was wondering if you could provide some information as to what is required to run a site such as GlockTalk. What hardware / software is required? What sort of expertise to maintain? And, most importantly, what are the costs?

I appreciate any info you can provide.

Thank you.

--------

Sent an e-mail

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

3. Scott

Scott Free at last! Millennium Member

I can't address the specific costs and equipment for GT (it's a lot of both), but blood, sweat and tears are all required 24/7. I think Eric is up to an even dozen helper monkeys (no, not the Mods, I mean actual pretend helper monkeys) and still can't quite keep up (email is a double-edged sword, ya know).

If you can keep the bandwidth very low (i.e. small group, not all logging in at the same time (evenings and weekends), you can probably (maybe?) start with renting space on a server. Much cheaper for itsy, bitsy things, but the costs multiply exponentially as demand increases.

Hey webmasters, please add your thoughts and correct me where I've gone wrong (except about the helper monkeys!).

;n ;n ;n ;n ;n ;n ;n ;n ;n ;n ;n ;n
    (group photo)