close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WebSite Building Help Needed

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DTD2, Oct 6, 2006.

1. DTD2

DTD2 vote or die

I have been tasked with building our departments website. This is my first attempt at such an edeavor. I am using Yahoo SiteBuilder. Can form the pages and publish them. However, my Captian now wants a secure employee area. How would I go about making one. Kepp in mind I am HTML,PHP dumb.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dennis

2. Bluzman

Bluzman

What he probably wants is an Intranet site. There is some free software on the web that is similar to this GlockTalk Forum.
    Let me search the web for more info for ya.

3. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

What you want is a decent content management system. Here's a website dedicated to CMS: http://www.opensourcecms.com/. You can setup a user system with secure areas. Many will allow you to authenticate against an Active Directory system if you have one in place. They also include things like forums, news pages, private messaging, downloads area, they have built in search systems, etc., etc. Many are extremely powerful, and many are also free. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Also, get away from Yahoo SiteBuilder. Learn HTML and get a demo of Adobe Dreamweaver. ;)

Also, keep in mind that for this site to be truly secure, you need a site with an SSL certificate and a reputable web host.

4. eeyoresfavfan

eeyoresfavfan

Macromedia Dreamweaver and Fireworks is the way to go for web page stuff. I've done some with Frontpage too... not bad, but definitely like the DW better.
    DJ

5. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

So how is the site build going?