close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Webrates and Fmuz

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Tvov, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Tvov

Tvov

My old computer (PII 400) has two new things I can't figure out. One, seems to me to be an obvious "adware", is "Webrates". It can be either/or "Webrates0" or "Webrates1". Everytime I turn the computer on it tries to go online, which I think is connected to the "Webrates" stuff. I can temporarily shut them off using Task Manager. "Adaware" seemed to have gotten rid of "Webrates1" temporarily, but the Webrates0 stayed, and Webrates1 returned. Spybot did nothing.

Also, "Fmuz" showed up recently. When I try to delete it, my computer says that windows is using it, but I've never seen it before. I can shut it off with Task Manager without problems, but it comes back when the computer is rebooted.

Any ideas?

Edit: Just realized that it is "Webrebates", if that makes difference.

2. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

Have you updated to the newer version of Adaware SE? Still free.

It fixed a number of offensive items on mine. Also, always check for updates before you run it.

3. Tvov

Tvov

I'll go check on that right now, thanks.

4. Tvov

Tvov

I just downloaded the AdAwareSE... It came up with 87 objects when the old version said everything was clean. I deleted those. The "Fmuz" is gone, but the "Webrebate" guys are still there. I'll keep looking...

5. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Now, download and scan with Spybot Search & Destroy. Fix everything it finds. It's good to have two (or more) spyware scanners. AdAware will find some things that Spybot won't, and vice versa.

Spybot Search & Destoy link

Next, download Hijack This.

Hijack This link

Run Hijack This.

Click "Scan".

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING THAT HIJACK THIS PICKS UP. Hijack This does not differentiate between normal and malicious software. If you don't know what you are doing, you can really screw things up.

Click "Save Log".

Paste your log into a reply to this thread. ENSURE YOU DISABLE SMILIES IN YOUR POST. Those of us that know what we're looking at can help you pick and choose what stuff to remove with Hijack This.

6. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Yeap had the same problem. I have no idea how that one sneaked it's way past all my programs.

Go to add/remove programs.

It will be there.

When that is done go to regedt32 and search for webrates and delete evey instance of it from there. I believe you may see it 2 or three times.

7. Tvov

Tvov

Thanks for the replies...I haven't had a chance yet to do any more. Still recovering from the Fireman's Dance last night...

8. Tvov

Tvov

Thanks, NetNinja, that got rid of it.

I'm still going to try Hijack This when I get a chance and see what comes up.

Thanks for the replies.

9. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Heh, sometimes the solution is the simplest one. I never even thought of checking Add/Remove Programs.

If you still want to post your Hijack This log here and get it looked at, I'd be glad to.

10. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

I went to the registery first. and started deleting the entries until I came across add/remove in the registery section.

So I opened add/remove and what do you know the bastard installed itself there.

It was also interfering with my Ebay browsing.

I would list items click on one and try to go back to the listing and it would take 20 seconds.

I only found the bastard when I would reboot my machine and it came up with an error saying webrates. something error.

I said what the heck! how did that get installed!

I need to hit the 500milllion lottery. I would sue every single company who does this underhanded sneaky ****!

Then I would post every bit of information about them on the web so people can send all thier AOL cd's to them and other crap.