close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weber Smokey Mountain

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by pal2511, May 29, 2012.

1. pal2511

pal2511

Finally got a Weber Smokey Mountain grill. My wife picked it up along with 24 bags of charcoal that were on sale at Home Depot for me today. Hope to have enough time to put it together tomorrow and do a "burn in" on it. Going to try some Beef Brisket this weekend or ribs

2. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Congrats, did you get the 22"? Probably one of the top smokers on the circuit for competition guys.

3. Kurly

Kurly

A GREAT! piece of smoking equipment that won't rob your wallet and allow you to spend your time and money on cuts of meat that will make your friend's salivary glands water!

4. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Congrats on the new smoker! I love to smoke food, so much better then grilling. How does it do on charcoal consumption? I love to smoke but I have to go up and down stairs with the el cheapo I have. If I only have to check on it every 2 hours it would be great.

5. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Invest in a Guru or Stoker and the world will become perfect.

6. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I have an 18" WSM. After you get the temp stabilized you can get 8 or 10 hours of steady temperature. I've read of people getting 18. 10 lbs of charcoal will get you 12 hours of burn. I don't use the water pan. I have a shallower pan from a Brinkman El Cheapo with a foil wrapped ceramic disk from Lowe's in it. Water helps stabilize the temperature but increases the charcoal consumption.

7. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Congratulations! I love my 18" WSM. Brisket's a little ambitious for your first cook. I would do a pork butt or ribs for the first time. From what I read, and did, they don't really need a "burn in" just wash out the inside and grates before first firing her up. Here's a great site for tips, tricks, and recipes:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

8. tongix

tongix

I saw the 18 and seems to be my choice. THe 22 is just too big for my taste and of course more space means more charcoal. I dont cook that much just for a family of four so 18 on a weekend is perfect.

9. pal2511

pal2511

I got the 18. I might do pork ribs for the first cook

10. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I have the 18 and its by far the best smoker I've owned. Load it up properly and it will maintain 250 degrees for 12-14 hours without tending easy. For brisket I find its a 16-18 hour job and you'll have to feed it about halfway through. (don't let it burn out and then try to feed it).

Just couple of hints. When you store it invert the barrel part of the stove otherwise the lip will collect water and it will drain inside the smoker and fill the bottom with water. The lid fits perfectly either way but you'll see what I'm talking about when you go out and look at it. If you turn the barrel part upside down it will shed water. The cover will help but it will still collect water even with the cover on unless you do this.

It pays to buy some wide aluminum foil and cover the bottom of the water pan--on the side facing the fire. Otherwise grease and juice will drip down the side of the pan and bake on making cleanup a real chore. The foil cleans up easy (toss it) and the inside of the pan will clean up easy in the sink with some dish soap.

The thermometer in the lid sucks. Invest in a good dual probe digital thermometer. There's a big difference between what the temp at the grate reads vs. the top of the lid--as much as 20 degrees. I bought the Maverick ET 73 after doing lots of research on the BBQ forums. Its been a champ for me through 2 seasons. I especially like that I can monitor the temp inside the house with the remote.

No burn in required on a WSM. Just use it. Its enamel coated steel so it doesn't need seasoning.

Enjoy! 25 bags of charcoal will last a long time...it uses maybe a third of a 10# bag for the average job.

11. fork14

fork14

I'll second the BBq Guru! Set it at night and she'll stay there till morning. My WSM ran hot the first couple smokes, I guess till the interior got coated with some smoke. Use the minion method for starting your charcoal, it's much easier to catch your temp on the way up vs choking the WSM down if she gets too hot. I foil the water pan and use no water or sand. If your not getting a guru or stoker, I'd recommend putting in a good Tel Tru thermometer in the dome.

12. stk10767

stk10767

BBQ Guru? Stoker??

13. kiole

kiole

14. ray9898

ray9898

Device that precisely controls the temp by regulating the airflow with a fan.

15. McDaddy

McDaddy

Built my own with a Smokey Joe Gold and a Tamale pot...$70 total and works like a champ. Can get an 6-7 hour burn on 5-7#'s of charcoal. Here are some Armadillo eggs after a two hour smoke at 225.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. pal2511

pal2511

Big bird do you insert the maverick through the access door.to read temperature of grate area? What do you use to read temperature of the meat? I saw the thermapen but its kinda pricey right noe

17. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I use the Stoker on my pits https://www.rocksbarbque.com/

But I would seriously consider the GURU on my next one if I need it, I like the form factor of it and that they are putting wifi in theirs now. www.bbqguru.com

Essentially, you can control your pits from anywhere in the world, if you had to. I like being able to roll over in the middle of the night and check on my pit temp during a competition, without having to get up and check them manually. I know where the meat temp and pit temp is at and can adjust it from my phone.

This may not apply to the home cooker, but it's nice to know you can adjust it on the fly from the comfort of bed or the couch if necessary, for longer cooks.

18. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

I didn't. I just run the wires under the edge of the lid. Not the most technical solution but it works. I haven't had any problems doing it this way and have run it for two years like this.

19. pal2511

pal2511

I'm going to try some ribs tommorrow on it. Wife also bought some huge chicken thighs that I am going to try. Off for the next couple of days...
    Still have not put it together but may do it today, have to get to work in a few hours otherwise I would be bbqing up the ribs now :)

20. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

If you want to try some outstanding rubs, and yes I know everyone has favorites but the rubs I use more than anything are from Simply Marvelous. Their Cherry just POPS on pork, I layer mine usually some Sweet Seduction on the bottom layer then pecan or cherry or spicy apple. They don't make a bad rub, many folks on the bbq circuit use their stuff, I use it both at home and in competition, fantastic stuff. www.simplymarvelousbbq.com