Webcams for security?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HollowHead, Nov 23, 2014.

1. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Besides a nice pair of speakers, I bought a box of six Logitech webcams at a garage sale yesterday. These are the sphere-types that clip to monitors and have a USB cable. Is there some kind of way to either Bluetooth or ethernet them to use as live security? I've got a barn with indoor stalls that I'd like to be able to monitor and can run cat 5 to easily if needed. Thanks. HH

2. njl

njl Crusty Member

Since those are meant to be hooked to a computer that'll interface with them and "do something useful" with the video output, using them as security cameras is going to require you to do a lot of engineering or put some computers in the barn to interface with them and do something with their output. Unless they're focus adjustable, they're probably meant to be used at distances of 1-3ft, and may not do well providing wide shots of things several yards away.

You'd be a lot better off finding another use for those and getting some dropcam's, assuming you have power and either ethernet or wifi signal out in the barn.

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I couldn't pass up six for $5 especially because they're the newer ones with internal microphones. To charity they go, thanks! HH

4. jhall

jhall

I have an old Microsoft 640x480 webcam at work. I set it up in the corner of my office and use a piece of software called YAWCAM. It turns it into a motion activated 'security' camera. When activated it will email me screenshots of detected motion. Or I can log on and view it at will. It's pretty neat.

But like the poster above me said, something like that would require some computers be up and running all the time in your barn. So probably not a good solution for you.

The dropcams he mentioned would probably be a good solution.

5. JamesPeter

JamesPeter

http://lifehacker.com/5860538/how-t...treaming-motion-detecting-surveillance-system

6. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Post up the models. If they're simply USB cams with no Wifi or Ethernet connection then no, you cannot use them for what you want to do without connecting each of them to a nearby computer. If they have Ethernet or Wifi then your options may be a bit more varied.

7. njl

njl Crusty Member

...unless you got a deal some some small netbook PCs...I suspect something like the original EeePC goes for pocket change at this point, and even an obsolete netbook (which would be far better) can probably be found for very cheap.