close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Webcams and Yahoo Messenger

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mc_oliver, Sep 8, 2004.

1. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Everytime I use my office connection to access the net, the web cam features of YM doesn't work. I know we have a firewall and connect via a proxy server.

Do I need to configure our proxy server to be able to work with YM's web cam features?

Thanks a lot.

2. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

Yes. And configure Yahoo to use your proxy.

Don't bother asking them for help; they'll quote the FAQ back to you, even if you state there's not enough information in it.

Laura

3. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Really appreciate the reply Laura. :)

Would you happen to know what sort of ports or "other stuff" I need to open or install in the server?

Thanks a lot.

4. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

Nope, they were less than helpful ;)

But, while trying to figure it out, I managed to reset my AP back to factory standards, and have pretty much left it anything out. Then the power supply to my camera crapped out and I haven't bought a new one. I think it worked once or twice, but god knows what I did. It certainly wasn't because Yahoo help helped.

You could download a personal firewall like Tiny and set it to ask you everything, then try connecting and see what comes up. Or get a packet sniffer like Ethereal, but those are harder to read.

How's that for not helpful? Maybe I should apply to Yahoo to help write their FAQs ;f

Laura

5. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

6. lomfs24

lomfs24

Laura, you are far too helpful to work at Yahoo. You need to repeat after me... "It's not working huh? The problems is on your end then."

I don't remember what ports Yahoo Messenger runs on. Isn't it something stupid like 54xx something? Or is that AIM?