close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weather Proof a Digital SLR?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by MtnBiker, Dec 31, 2006.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker NRA Member Millennium Member

OK, I'm new. This is probably a newbie question.

I went hiking yesterday. I wasn't supposed to rain until 3 PM. It started at Noon.

I was afraid to get my Digital SLR wet, so I carefully wrapped up my old trusty film SLR with a trash bag and threw it in my back pack.

I managed to take a few shots. Since it's film, I'll have to wait to see how they turn out.

It made me wonder if there is a way to weatherproof a digital SLR. I sure don't want to risk the camera for a few photos, but if there's a way to protect it and still get outdoor shots in inclement weather I'd sure like to know about it.

Any ideas?

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Clear plastic bag with an opening for the end of the lens?

3. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

There are shells made of clear plastic that will work on some Digital cameras. Search on the web.

4. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

Canon 1d series of DSLRs are weather sealed, all openings have o-rings to keep water out. Of course that is only good if your lens is also weather sealed (some L lenses are) or you would get water in you lens. I have read stories of 1 series cameras being dropped into water and surviving being briefly underwater. Your mileage may vary.

5. General Sherman

General Sherman

Some of the Olympus point and shoot are water resistant to various degrees.

Or get one like the Canon G7 that has a waterproof case available.

6. kato4moto

kato4moto

Since I can't always control the weather at the races I'm covering, I sometimes have to deal with rain. If possible, of course, I'll head for cover (the forest) and shoot as much as possible underneath a canopy of trees. A couple months ago in New Zealand, even that proved incapable of stopping what had turned into a deluge that forced organizers to stop the day's racing prematurely.

At that point, I'd already made up my mind to head back to the car since the rain flooded the contact between my SB-800 and D2X with the 12-24mm f/4 so much that it wouldn't reliably flash. But I was able to get some more shots on the way to the car with my D2H and 70-200mm f/2.8 VR. I always try to keep the equipment underneath my arms if I'm out in the rain so they don't get completely drenched. Afterwards, I simply towel them off. I don't think this level of weather resistance is possible with less than pro-level equipment, though, so plastic bags would be the minimum I'd recommend.