Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Minnesota where we can have extreme weather on both ends of the spectrum. Hot, cold, humidity, etc.

As a backup, I store a handgun in a safe in my vehicle at all times. Will the weather extremes have any ill effects on my gun or ammunition?

I apologize if this is a redundant topic. I did a search and didn't locate anything. Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I live in MN too, and my 19 stays in the truck a minimum of 8 hours every work day. The only issue I have had is that my safe, the kind with electronic buttons, didn't work after my first winter. I still keep it in the truck, but I just have to use the keys instead of the buttons. My Glock has been fine sitting in the extremes of our great state.

Sent from my EVO using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
42,165 Posts
All guns can and will rust. All ammo can and will corrode.
Oil the pistol every few weeks, change out the ammo every six months and you should be just fine.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Only store a firearm in an unattended vehicle (outside your garage, anyway), in a vault or lockbox. Console/Glovebox (or my personal favorite- the magical under-the-seat firearm) storage just doesn't cut it. Firearms are more susceptible to temp change than temp extremes. Summer, as long as it's out of direct sunlight, it's fine. If it's dry and properly maintained, super cold weather isn't a concern either. Properly maintained means clean and just the required lube. Getting into the latest snake oil/grease can cause problems, particularly in extremely cold conditions. Stick with any common gun oil, used in moderation. Good luck.
I live in Minnesota where we can have extreme weather on both ends of the spectrum. Hot, cold, humidity, etc.

As a backup, I store a handgun in a safe in my vehicle at all times. Will the weather extremes have any ill effects on my gun or ammunition?

I apologize if this is a redundant topic. I did a search and didn't locate anything. Thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
About the only thing I have had happen to ammo was a ring formed around the cartridge case from the foam 50rd box they were sitting in. That ammo was in my truck for over a year in the hot & humid Fl weather. Still shot fine.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
My advise would be to pay attention to the vehicle gun and keep it clean and lubricated.
I wouldn't let it go unchecked for a whole season just because it is not hard to take it out and clean and lube once in a while.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. The gun is in my regular range rotation so it will be regularly cleaned and lubed. I figure I'll probably put fresh ammo in it every few months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts