close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wearing mittens while riding??

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by 357glocker, Nov 22, 2006.

1. 357glocker

357glocker

I saw some motorsports mittens in the cabelas magazine. I'm still riding and it's really only my hands that get cold. I looked into the battery operated gloves but they don't really fit the budget. My question, is it OK to ride with mittens, they wuld stay warmer especially with a hand warmer in it? Do they hinder the ability to get to the brake/clutch? I don't have any mittens laying around to test it out.

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Off-road, it would be a consideration.

In traffic? Nope.

Not to mention, "mittens" doesn't only sound funny, but they feel[/ig] funny as well.

3. FoxMustang

FoxMustang We Deal in Lead

Look for silk or fleece glove liners.

Or snowmobile gloves; made for the cold, and to allow use of handlebars. Not much protection in a crash, though.

4. 357glocker

357glocker

5. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

I tried a pair of mittens last winter, and they didn't work well, but they weren't like the ones you're talking about. The ones I had were just regular mittens. I didn't have any trouble with the controls, but they were just as cold as gloves, even with the chemical hand warmers in them.

I ended up getting a pair of Teknec (I think that's the right spelling) motorcycle gloves for a little more than that price. (about $65.00) at a local motorcycle place. They worked better than anything else, until I got heated grips and a pair of Gerbing gloves.

I have heard, but have never used, that the battery powered (D-cell) gloves you can find for anywhere from 19.95 to 39.95 on the internet work well. Do a search for "Battery heated gloves."

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Find the dedicated insulated moto gloves instead of mittens. Silk glove liners don't bulk up much and keep your hands in decent shape easily into the 30s.

7. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

One other thing. Be careful with those handwarmers and don't get them next to exposed skin. They will burn you. Ask me how I know. :supergrin:

I don't know for sure, but it stands to reason that the extra airflow over them, rather they're the disposable ones or the ones you can refill, (Like the Jon-E) make them burn hotter than normal.

8. codivecop

codivecop

9. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Riding in the snow is soooo much fun. Sheesh, I'll take vacation from work just to ride in the snow. :banana:

If you wanna forget about your freezing hands, simply ride with your fly open.

10. Motor-T

Motor-T Windbag

11. sillymike

sillymike

Me and the GF have installed handlebar mits on our bike (The snowmobile kind)... It looks funny, but does a pretty good job at keeping your hands nice and warm.

We both ride KLR, so wre are used to people looking at us funny...