Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember the training to hide under your desk in case of nuclear attack? Looks like wearing a mask is the present day equivalent. I have not seen any mandated qualifications for a “mask”, this is just an attempt to make some feel safe and that the government is doing something.

·
Banned
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The purpose of the mask is not to protect the wearer, but to protect others from your droplets with potential virus.
I am aware of that. The point is that many of the homemade masks do not prevent the aerial transmission of the virus.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think the masks work to some degree. I was surprised at how much moisture my cloth company issued mask collects during the day. That's the purpose.

We have to wear masks at work, I see a fair amount of sun gaiters/sunshields as well as bandanas.

I agree some masks are questionable because the construction and 'putting on' are up to the user. I've seen people wearing N95 masks that were providing NO protection because they were not properly wearing them.

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
They don’t prevent they help. If your droplets when you breath go 1 foot without a mask they may go 3 inches when you wear a mask. If someone in the grocery store is 1 foot away passing you it helps them. A sneeze might be 5 foot no mask and 9 inches masked. That is the point.

I am aware of that. The point is that many of the homemade masks do not prevent the aerial transmission of the virus.

·
NRA Life Member
66,434 Posts
It isn't airborne, it is transmitted in droplets, like a cold or the flu. Where have people gotten this idea, that I haven't even seen in the fakest of fake news, that coronavirus is transmitted through the air as you breathe?

The thing is that the people wearing the masks are not trying to protect you. They think it protects them.
That might explain the nuts I've seen wearing a mask while fishing alone or while driving or sitting on their own porch.

allinfected.jpg

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Like trying to filter rice, with chicken wire .

The common theme, is one wears it to protect others from you, following that line of thinking , it must then be considered contaminated after one use . So no touching the mask itself, no setting on a car seat, or in a purse , as everything it touches then has to be considered contaminated.

At work they consider a N95 mask a one time use, it’s red bagged after one use . If you’re going to do it , do it right .

·
emeritus
3,878 Posts
They don’t prevent they help. If your droplets when you breath go 1 foot without a mask they may go 3 inches when you wear a mask. If someone in the grocery store is 1 foot away passing you it helps them. A sneeze might be 5 foot no mask and 9 inches masked. That is the point.
You don't cover your mouth when you sneeze? Eeewww.

·
NRA Life Member
66,434 Posts
Don't like it, don't wear it. Be the man you want to be, dead or alive:noevil:
Or, in most cases, mildly ill with little or no symptoms.

allgonnadie.png

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
With early antibody testing showing that a much higher percentage of people have been infected than originally thought, that's both good and bad. Good, in that this virus may turn out to be much less of a serious health threat in general than originally feared, but bad in that the R0 may be much higher. Without immunity the higher R0 makes the risk of infection, and thus danger to those at elevated risk due to age or co-morbidity that much higher. But we need to isolate only those high-risk people, not the entire population.

Wearing masks or other PPE should not prevent us from going about our business. I have no problem following sensible guidelines to prevent infection as long as doing so is aimed at protecting those at elevated risk, not restricting everyone else. People need to get back to work, and like it or not, people need to be exposed to this virus because immunity is the only thing that's going to stop it. Social distancing, PPE, or draconian social measures can't stop it, only slow it. The question is, for how long do we need to drag this on, and at what cost?

Once antibody testing ramps up, will those who test positive for antibodies be given "clearance" to go into public without a mask? Or will they need to wear one anyway so as not to scare people, or be arrested, or be assaulted by some nut?

Unfortunately some people are hysterical about it, and if you try to reason with them they get belligerent. If someone is that afraid, maybe they should just stay home and send someone younger/healthier/braver to do the shopping instead.

·
emeritus
3,878 Posts
With early antibody testing showing that a much higher percentage of people have been infected than originally thought, that's both good and bad. Good, in that this virus may turn out to be much less of a serious health threat in general than originally feared, but bad in that the R0 may be much higher. Without immunity the higher R0 makes the risk of infection, and thus danger to those at elevated risk due to age or co-morbidity that much higher. But we need to isolate only those high-risk people, not the entire population.

Wearing masks or other PPE should not prevent us from going about our business. I have no problem following sensible guidelines to prevent infection as long as doing so is aimed at protecting those at elevated risk, not restricting everyone else. People need to get back to work, and like it or not, people need to be exposed to this virus because immunity is the only thing that's going to stop it. Social distancing, PPE, or draconian social measures can't stop it, only slow it. The question is, for how long do we need to drag this on, and at what cost?

Once antibody testing ramps up, will those who test positive for antibodies be given "clearance" to go into public without a mask? Or will they need to wear one anyway so as not to scare people, or be arrested, or be assaulted by some nut?

Unfortunately some people are hysterical about it, and if you try to reason with them they get belligerent. If someone is that afraid, maybe they should just stay home and send someone younger/healthier/braver to do the shopping instead.
So we should act as man as acted since before we walked upright and is the reason we are currently still here? Interesting. My TV says different.

·
NRA Life Member
66,434 Posts
Kind of what I have been saying for a few days now: we locked down everybody at once, high-risk and low-risk, instead of just telling the high-risk people they need to stay home. That means during the lockdown the low-risk people have not been exposed and recovered. So, when we unlock everybody, the low-risk people don't have immunity and the high-risk people are in much greater danger than if there was no lockdown, because everybody is getting sick at once.

Some people are hysterical about it right here on Glock Talk. It's hard to tell if it's just fear or also some strange unwillingness to give up their fear. They're kind of like people who are afraid of snakes or something - there's a little, tiny seed of reasonable fear that has mushroomed into an irrational phobia. "OMG, everybody's gonna die!" Yes, it's even over half as many as died from the flu, season before last, when it didn't cause a ripple or the blink of an eye. "OMG! Hospitals are overwhelmed!" Except they are laying off employees because they don't have enough patients, now that most other medical procedures have been canceled or delayed. "OMG! New York is burying people in mass graves on some island" No, they aren't using mass graves and they bury a couple of thousand people on that island every year. And on and on and on....

·
King Doofus.
5,973 Posts
Virus's are forever. Thev've been here long before we came, they'll be here long after we're gone. Living in a sterile environment will only make you less immune, more susceptible to severe illness or death from a virus that may have only given you a runny nose. Humans are a communal species, we evolved to share our immunities. Without a viable vaccine, this virus, like many like it that already existed, will continue to kill those with weakened immune systems. You can come out and be exposed now, or come out and be exposed later.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts