Wear or Don't wear masks in public

Discussion in 'Covid-19 News/Info' started by Iamaarmed, Jul 27, 2020.

Why or Why not wear masks in public

Poll closed Yesterday at 1:49 PM.
  1. Don't wear: Violates my rights

9.3%
  2. Wear a mask: Protect myself and others from catching or spreading virus.

60.0%
  3. Don't wear: Masks are not helpinig contain the virus or protectinig anyone. They are useless

30.0%
  4. Don't wear: I don't care if I catch or spread the virus. I have a free choice.

0.7%
  1. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

Why or why not wear a mask in public.

Please vote as to why you would or would not wear a mask in public places such as stores etc.

Squid1 likes this.
  2. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

3. BBMW

BBMW

I don't wear it outside. I wear it inside in public places (think stores.)

bigdogmurph, n2g, Syclone0538 and 5 others like this.
  4. Dave514

Dave514

You forgot Wear a Mask: because it's mandated

billorights, mj9mm, Joshhtn and 9 others like this.
  5. tacit mesa

tacit mesa

You left out: "It's the law/mandate/health department rule"

10or45, mj9mm and CBennett like this.
  6. nursetim

nursetim

The mask doesn’t protect you.

Agonizer, 10or45, mj9mm and 4 others like this.
  7. John_AZ

John_AZ

The one thing about the mask debate that really boggles my mind is the people who say being told to wear a mask violates their “rights”

How is being told to place a piece of fabric over your nose and mouth any different than being told to place a piece of fabric over your genitals, breasts and/or shoes on your feet?

Not debating the usefulness one way or the other of the masks. I just don’t get the “rights” violation part.

mac66, Squid1, rangerhgm and 6 others like this.
  8. tacit mesa

tacit mesa

Agreed. No one actually cites an enumerated right that it allegedly violates.

tihash, SevenSixtyTwo and bdcochran like this.
  9. Dave514

Dave514

mac66, Squid1, tihash and 2 others like this.
  10. shadowlands

shadowlands

I wear it in public.

fieldhand1 and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  11. tacit mesa

tacit mesa

That's really all that's asked or required.

tihash and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  12. Mathemagician1

Mathemagician1

13. nursetim

nursetim

6AAADFCF-EEEF-40A2-B72D-DB38D97FD014.jpeg
    admittedly a bit of hyperbole, but not a huge leap. If you refuse the mandatory vaccine, you may have to wear the mask. Marking separating one for “special” treatment.
    Also, TB had killed 1.5 million in 2018, no masks, 150 thousand dead, EVERYONE has to wear a mask. It was said, this was because TB has a treatment to cure. The treatment is long and not without potential side effects.

14. Dave514

Dave514

That is worth noting.
    Face mask use could result in a large reduction in risk of infection (n=2647; aOR 0·15, 95% CI 0·07 to 0·34, RD −14·3%, −15·9 to −10·7; low certainty), with stronger associations with N95 or similar respirators compared with disposable surgical masks or similar (eg, reusable 12–16-layer cotton masks; pinteraction=0·090; posterior probability >95%, low certainty).
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

And wearers of masks should understand that the better the mask, the better the protection.

Squid1, tihash, Joshhtn and 2 others like this.
  15. SevenSixtyTwo

SevenSixtyTwo

A simple cloth mask is the very least I can do to help protect myself and others from spreading the virus. I wear one in stores and when distance isn’t possible.

Lt. Donn, Squid1, rangerhgm and 6 others like this.
  16. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

How is being told it is mandatory to wear a mask any different than being told you cannot wear a mask in public?

Squid1, mj9mm and arkdweller22 like this.
  17. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

Or maybe...
    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.10...h1n0tlxLQBVEhqnmjA1nmv5c-Caa9qJDOcRXunLq-Epmg

They're not saying "don't wear a mask", but they are saying that they're only worthwhile wearing in certain situations. A point they reiterated in a subsequent addendum bowing to political pressure.

TheyLie likes this.
  18. Dave514

Dave514

Or maybe you have to read the whole study to understand what the authors were saying. As they make clearer here.

We understand that some people are citing our Perspective article (published on April 1 at NEJM.org)1 as support for discrediting widespread masking. In truth, the intent of our article was to push for more masking, not less. It is apparent that many people with SARS-CoV-2 infection are asymptomatic or presymptomatic yet highly contagious and that these people account for a substantial fraction of all transmissions.2,3 Universal masking helps to prevent such people from spreading virus-laden secretions, whether they recognize that they are infected or not.4

We did state in the article that “wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection,” but as the rest of the paragraph makes clear, we intended this statement to apply to passing encounters in public spaces, not sustained interactions within closed environments. A growing body of research shows that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission is strongly correlated with the duration and intensity of contact: the risk of transmission among household members can be as high as 40%, whereas the risk of transmission from less intense and less sustained encounters is below 5%.5-7 This finding is also borne out by recent research associating mask wearing with less transmission of SARS-CoV-2, particularly in closed settings.8 We therefore strongly support the calls of public health agencies for all people to wear masks when circumstances compel them to be within 6 ft of others for sustained periods.....

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2020836

19. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

Or maybe you should read my entire post and quote it properly.

The statement made in the original article was clear, with citations: masks have little effect in stopping transmission.
    The "retraction" is politically pressured doublespeak where they go on to state; "we intended this statement to apply to passing encounters in public spaces, not sustained interactions within closed environments." So it's not a retraction at all, just a clarification. According to their definition, most interactions fit the bill of "passing encounters." Here's their definition, which they never retracted: "Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes)."
    With that definition, it's clear that mask mandates are nothing but security theater. They say as much in the original article: "It is also clear that masks serve symbolic roles. Masks are not only tools, they are also talismans that may help increase health care workers’ perceived sense of safety, well-being, and trust in their hospitals. Although such reactions may not be strictly logical, we are all subject to fear and anxiety, especially during times of crisis."

If you're going to quote me, quote me completely and in context. Let's keep the debate honest.

TheyLie, Squid1 and Mathemagician1 like this.
  20. Dave514

Dave514

Or maybe admit that you added that last part after having already posted your reply and me having quoted the reply that was there. All I did was quote your post and reply to it. That you added more is not on me.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.