close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weapons of Choice

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by MC, Jan 2, 2006.

1. MC

MC

Anyone read 'Weapons of Choice' by John Birmingham. It's the first book of a trilogy on the subject. A military experiment in the mid 21st century goes wrong and a multinational fleet gets thrown back in time to 1942. It's an alternate history novel of what happens when both the Allies and Axis have access to the full information of what happened in WW2.

The writing and scenarios are terrific. What is as fascinating as the battle scenes are the interactions between the newcomers and the World War 2 officers when they are confronted with people from a time where some of the ships are commanded by women and black officers.

I'm currently reading the second book of the trilogy called 'Designated Targets' and it's as good or better than the first.

2. Flotsam

Flotsam Millennium Member

Yep - just finished Designated Targets. Both were very good - I'm looking forward to the next book, but I don't see how he's going to wrap up the tale in just three books - I could easily see a series coming out of this. Good characters, good flow to the writing - very enjoyable.