close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weapons light carry case

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by darthhamtaro, Mar 16, 2010.

1. darthhamtaro

darthhamtaro

Hey, everybody anyone know of a good way to carry a weapons light (the kind that goes on rails) for ccw? i would like to carry the light incase its needed but havent figured out a good way to do so. i know blackhawk has a belt rail system but id like to put it in my pocket instead of my belt, so any ideas to keep it from scratching the lens or turning on in my pocket? I have small children and may need to pick up or hold them back I like the option of putting it on the gun if I need my hand free and I can still use it as a flash light in my hand if needed
    thanks

2. RayB

RayB Retired Member

I waited to see if anybody else would take this…

I guess we’re a little freaked out by your anticipating the need to restrain your kids with one hand, while brandishing an armed weapon, or trading shots with the other… :shocked:

Forgive me, but it sounds like flashlights are the least of your problems—you need a new neighborhood! :wow:

Also look into every aspect of securing your house or apartment. :whistling:

Loving discipline is best started early with children. :eyebrow:

Moving on to your questions about weapon lights and flashlights…

Weapon lights and flashlights are somewhat exclusive of one another, and are designed for specific applications.

While you can mount some flashlights to a pistol, it’s not a rig you are going to holster, let alone carry concealed. This is best done on a long gun platform.

Rail-mounted weapon lights, like the X300 or WX150 are designed to work conveniently using your index finger from a ready-to-fire position. Conversely, they are not optimal for use as pocket flashlights, as the ergonomics are all wrong.

For you, I’d recommend two lights: 1) A quality flashlight for pocket carry; 2) A quality, rail-mounted weapon light for home use. You can buy both for the cost of a SureFire X300…

For the rail-mounted weapon light, I’d recommend the Streamlight WX150 or the XTI Procyon.

For the flashlight, ask your fellow GT members what’s great, and where the best deals are!

If you must pocket carry a weapon light, get the SureFire X300 with the protective flip lens cover.

And please don’t let those kids anywhere near any gun! :nailbiting:

--Ray

3. darthhamtaro

darthhamtaro

if i have misunderstood your point then i apologize.
    i didnt ask your opinion on parenting, or your thoughts on where i live, or on how long "YOU" think ive owned a gun or even tactics on how deploy said weapon i already own several tac lights and flashlights and asked about how to carry them, not your internet sage advise.

with the amount of active shooters nowadays and me having children there "MAY" be a time that i need both hands and if a gunmen is in a dark hallway or store in between me and the exit i "MAY" need to hold an infant and shoot it sucks but thats life. next time please read the question before sounding stupid.

4. RayB

RayB Retired Member

You will notice that I was the only one to take your questions, and I did in fact address them:

Weapon lights and flashlights are somewhat exclusive of one another, and are designed for specific applications.

While you can mount some flashlights to a pistol, it’s not a rig you are going to holster, let alone carry concealed. This is best done on a long gun platform.

Rail-mounted weapon lights, like the X300 or WX150 are designed to work conveniently using your index finger from a ready-to-fire position. Conversely, they are not optimal for use as pocket flashlights, as the ergonomics are all wrong.

For you, I’d recommend two lights: 1) A quality flashlight for pocket carry; 2) A quality, rail-mounted weapon light for home use. You can buy both for the cost of a SureFire X300…

For the rail-mounted weapon light, I’d recommend the Streamlight WX150 or the XTI Procyon.

For the flashlight, ask your fellow GT members what’s great, and where the best deals are!

If you must pocket carry a weapon light, get the SureFire X300 with the protective flip lens cover.

As indicated above, I did read and answer your question(s). I even made recommendations. And the record shows that I was the only one--you might want to ponder that last part! :whistling:

I will note that in addition to several tac lights and flashlights, you have a big, fat chip on your shoulder. :eyebrow:

As for sounding stupid, well, we all, each of us, live inside our heads. :upeyes:

Keep in mind, that like you, I'll post whatever the hell I please! You'll just have to suffer that! :supergrin:

--Ray

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  5. darthhamtaro

darthhamtaro

you are right, thank you, ill just buy what say and do what you say. Ive seen the light now thank you internet god thank you for your great wisdom you have bestowed on me, no not just me, all of glocktalk.

6. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

I don't know about pocket carry but I would think that almost any properly sized cell phone or pager case might work. Uncle Mikes has some cases that might work but they would be belt mounted, something that I think would be easier to access than from a pocket.

7. darthhamtaro

darthhamtaro

Thank you RyanNREMTP
    thank you for answering me with good ideas.
    I knew blackhawk has a good belt system but I had not heard that mikes had holders of any sort I will look into them thank you

ps thanks for not joining into the stupidty that I let myself get sucked into

8. crazypilot

crazypilot ERAU Alumni '05

Not sure if I understood right but have you considered purchasing a Raven Phantom LC holster? You'll be able to carry your light on your pistol while keeping it concealed. I'd also recommend carrying a hand held light in case you need a light and not have to draw your firearm.

9. danattherock

danattherock

I got a NY shoulder rig for my G20, it is made by Desantis. Ordered the Streamlight TLR-1 light ($99) from MidwayUSA just now and got the carry case for the light there also ($19). I may use the carry case to hold the light on the shoulder rig, or if nothing else on my belt. I plan to use the gun for woods/black bear protection in SE Alaska. The light will be on at night, while in the tent, but I knew better than to try and find quality leather for this gun that would accomodate the light all the time. Found my solution at Midway.

10. darthhamtaro

darthhamtaro

oh i love midway what is the name of the streamlight case? or how did you find it? thanks

11. darthhamtaro

darthhamtaro

yep i bought a raven a while back and love it its my edc but im trying to go appendix carry and man that holster was not made for appendix carry and i have a fenix ld20 so i dont have to point a gun at stuff all the time just to see in the dark lol
    man me and you had the same logic going there, great answer

12. danattherock

danattherock

When I put the light in the shopping cart, the case popped up as a suggested item. I snatched it up. Sweet idea.