Weapon Profile...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Gos, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Gos

Gos

With the recent environment of cop shootings, I've been wondering about blowing off the dust and replacing my AR15 with my old M1 Thompson. I do have a 50 round drum for it. I'd be using the same 45acp ammo for both, and there is no mistaking that weapons profile.
    Just thinking it may help persuade someone to stand down rather than shoot it out. Sort of like a puffed up porcupine. Mother natures way of saying don't touch, and it would be an effictive weapon for normal patrol ranges.
    Your thoughts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shJbuRpyKkA

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

I'd personally love to see that!

3. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

You may get style points but zero useful points. The .45 has a reputation os being studly, the 5.56 is imminently more useful over a much broader range of scenarios.

4. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

I'm wondering why someone who doesn't recognize the AR-15 as the "military-issue machine gun" that is most certainly is would recognize the Thompson at all?

That's just me, tho. :supergrin:

5. Gos

Gos

I'm sure they would recognize both. Just more history with the old Thompson and that big drum mag.
    Just an old guys fantasy...

6. SPDSNYPR

SPDSNYPR Zippy's Friend.

I'm kind of an old guy. Most of my fantasies are not appropriate for this forum, and usually involve more than one college cheerleader. :whistling:

7. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

Any cop who hosed down a bad guy with a Tommy gun deserves an extra 2 week paid vacation on top of the standard 2 weeks off :supergrin:

8. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Perhaps, but you could butt stroke the unlucky suspect if things got squirrely, and not break anything.

9. Gangrel

Gangrel

10. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

And when they aren't scared of your Tommy gun, wouldn't you rather be shooting bullets that will punch through body armor and car bodies?

11. tkelly

tkelly Guest

Gos, while I agree that it would be hell for intimidation, what if you had to use it? If you've got an honest-to-God M-1 full auto Thompson, it is worth thousands of dollars. I'd sure hate to see it sitting in an evidence room somewhere for a year or more while the OIS investigation is conducted and all the legal-eagle BS is handled.

12. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

I kind of agree with MSU... on recognition. Back before we started our HRT team we had 3 Thompsons in the armory at our headquarters downtown. I served with our department armorer in the air force, we were good shooting buddies so I got a bit of 'leeway' when it came to certain things.

If we had a big time warrant to serve in my district and I had a day or so heads up I'd check one of them out and go through the door with it instead of a shotgun. Great fun.

That was back in the early '70's though, everyone over 18 had grown up seeing them on television. Now I think more people are more familiar with the AR and AK designs and would probably be a source of more immediate concern.

When it comes to just plain fun at the range I don't think the AR holds a candle to the Thompson... especially when the tax payers are paying for the ammo.

Oh, never did have the opportunity to fire a round out of them during warrants... I guess everybody really did know what they were. :crying:

Jack

13. Gos

Gos

At my age a cheerleader would kill me before I finished the thought....
    I'll stick with guns; Much Safer.:tongueout:

14. jethro21

jethro21

Everyone who sees my AR15 thinks it is a machine gun...I have a Noveske flash hider and they ask if it is a grenade launcher...I always say yes.

An AR15 gets almost as much compliance as a K9 where I work

15. Bushido5150

Bushido5150

16. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

We have an old full auto Thompson here that has made a few range trips with us on qual day. The deal is always if you bring the ammo you can shoot it all you want. I've put several 30 rounds stick mags through her without a hiccup. That old girl runs like a top!

I agree that ballistically it doesn't hold up to the 5.56, but you just can't beat it for the fun factor.

17. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

18. A6Gator

A6Gator

Used to drag a Thompson around for ship defense in the 70's. All I recall about that it wasn't the lightest gun I ever humped around and it wasn't exactly a tack-driver, but for pure fun in ripping a bunch of rounds downrange, it was great. If you stop some BGs who watch old movies, it might just be the ticket.

Now, if you own one, you have WAY too much money to be dragging it around on patrol...:supergrin: Pre-war Thompsons are running in the high 20's/low 30's.

19. BAILIFF

BAILIFF Piece Officer

Could be an Auto Ordnance TM1...

20. Legion Etrangere

Legion Etrangere

Back in the 70's,after we would had quailifed for the month, the range master would let me drag out an old Thompson out of the vault. The deal was,I loaded my own stick mags,and that I didn't put any holes in the prop mail box on the obstacle course. I was Sgt. Saunders from the TV series "Combat" for a couple of hours.Those were good times.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010