Glock Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
10,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this over on Coptalk already, but figured I would ask here as well.

Does anyone know of any agencies with weapon / light combinations that exhibited reliability issues?

For example the Glock 22 issues of feed reliability with lights attached.

I am asking for any system...Glock, Sig, Smith, etc. I am conducting an informal study for now, just trying to get some intel, ideas, etc.

I am also trying to find out if and how the issues were rectified.

Thanks..

· Registered
30,515 Posts
I have, I don't know how many, Streamlight TLR-2 and TLR-4 laser lights on handguns, rifles, and shotguns.

As I recall I have never had any trouble with the light or the light causing any trouble with the gun..

A year or two ago I did send a TLR-2, that was on a shotgun, back to Streamlight because the laser started acting up but the light was still fine.

· Registered
59,814 Posts
A lot of our younger guys use the TLR with their Glock 17s with no issue. When I started I had some issues with my light but that involved a leaky kerosene tank.

· Registered
26 Posts
This is what I have seen out on our ranges.

We use the H&K P2000 for a service issued weapon. Obviously a polymer framed weapon. A couple of years ago, my agency authorized weapon lights for all personnel, not just specialty units. I put a Surefire X300 on mine. Had no issues. A lot of guys running the Streamlight TLR series had issues.

Eventually, we figured out that it was improper mounting tension that was causing the issues. Since a Streamlight uses a clamp style mount, it can be over torqued when installed. In the instructions, it says that a COIN should be used to achieve proper tightness, not a screwdriver. When you use a screwdriver or other tool, it gets over torqued and you change the rigidity of the frame, which affects the cyclic rate of the weapon, but since you haven't changed the magazine or magazine spring rate, malfunctions will ensue.

I have probably 4000 plus rounds out of my H&K with an X300 and have had no issues. I ran it when I recently went to Firearms Instructor school and it performed well. Although, there were several guys using Streamlights there and didn't seem to have any issues either, but since I don't have one on mine, I can't speak to it.

· Registered
10,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what I have seen out on our ranges.

We use the H&K P2000 for a service issued weapon. Obviously a polymer framed weapon. A couple of years ago, my agency authorized weapon lights for all personnel, not just specialty units. I put a Surefire X300 on mine. Had no issues. A lot of guys running the Streamlight TLR series had issues.

Eventually, we figured out that it was improper mounting tension that was causing the issues. Since a Streamlight uses a clamp style mount, it can be over torqued when installed. In the instructions, it says that a COIN should be used to achieve proper tightness, not a screwdriver. When you use a screwdriver or other tool, it gets over torqued and you change the rigidity of the frame, which affects the cyclic rate of the weapon, but since you haven't changed the magazine or magazine spring rate, malfunctions will ensue.

I have probably 4000 plus rounds out of my H&K with an X300 and have had no issues. I ran it when I recently went to Firearms Instructor school and it performed well. Although, there were several guys using Streamlights there and didn't seem to have any issues either, but since I don't have one on mine, I can't speak to it.
Thanks for the info, rebel.

· Registered
30,515 Posts
In the instructions, it says that a COIN
The mounting screw slot is a little sloppy on purpose. I thought it was to keep from using a screwdriver and tightening the screw until it broke.

I've only used a Quarter to tighten the screw and never had a problem even with some pretty hard kicking guns.

You can see that the screw slot is somewhat rounded so even with a Quarter not a great deal of torque can be applied.

· Registered
213 Posts
My Walther P99 in 40 has always had trouble with any attachment. It's perfect without any, so that has addressed the problem. But my newer P99 in 9mm has never had any issues.

After reading about the G22, I assumed it affected 40 caliber polymers more than others.

· Registered
10,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Walther P99 in 40 has always had trouble with any attachment. It's perfect without any, so that has addressed the problem. But my newer P99 in 9mm has never had any issues.

After reading about the G22, I assumed it affected 40 caliber polymers more than others.
Thank you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.