Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen and experienced two weak items on the Glock. One is the rear sight, and the other is the guide rod. When I was cleaning my Glock 17 (first model) slide, it slipped out of my hands and dropped on a wood floor. This was from a height of approximately 3 feet (I was sitting down). The rear sight popped right off. I had to hunt around and found it about 5 feet away.
That is WAY to flimsy for a gun that is approved for military and police use. I suspect part of the problem is the way the rear sight fits in the slide. Instead of being "dovetailed" into the slide, it's just friction fit into it. I hope metal replacement sights fit more securely than the factory sights. I don't regularly drop my guns, but losing a $100+ trijicon or TruGlo/TFO sight would really piss me off. :steamed:

The second item is the plastic recoil spring guide. I know there are people on here that have sent trillions :wow: of rounds through their Glock and never had a problem with the recoil spring guide. For those that don't have an indestructable Glock, this picture says it all:

I haven't experienced a recoil spring gude rod failure...nor do I intend to. I will be replacing both guide rods in my 17 and 26 with stainless steel versions. I really don't know why these guide rods crack and break. Possibly it is bad plastic. Maybe ammo that is loaded "hot" (+P or +P+). Maybe it's due to cleaning chemicals degrading the composition of the plastic. I just dunno. But I'm not taking any chances.

Dep

·
Registered
15 Posts
You should send Gaston a letter detailing your concerns, I'm sure he would take steps to correct it immediately.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bet that your Glock still firing after loosing a sight and a broken guide rod right?
Yes, but I might as well be holding a Black Cat firecracker. No accuracy with no rear sight. Oh wait...I could do a Mafia shooting with it if I pressed it up against someones head:upeyes:
And broken guide rods HAVE jammed up Glocks.

Gaston doesn't even acknowledge major failures in his "perfection". I doubt he would reply to any letter I sent him. :tongueout:

·
Registered
347 Posts
As said before the guide rod most likely broke from being insalled wrong into the frame. As for the rear sight I should not have come off the gun with a drop of 3 feet most likely the sight had been removed before and reinstalled causing it not to fit with the proper friction. ST

·
Premium Member
42,135 Posts
What ever works for you Duputy'

First rule of thumb is this,..... do not drop your daYmn weapon!
Second, all parts/pieces that are man-made can and will break!
Third, Dr. Glock knows best.
Lastly, DO NOT drop your weapon,.... unless you are French!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which is it?

:)
I described it in detail in my first post. Didn't you read it? Rear sight fell off. I saw pics (I provided one) of the guide rod cracked and broken. I DON'T want to chance a recoil guide rod failure, so I will replace it before it can happen. Try and follow along if you can :supergrin:

·
Registered
10 Posts
As said before the guide rod most likely broke from being insalled wrong into the frame. As for the rear sight I should not have come off the gun with a drop of 3 feet most likely the sight had been removed before and reinstalled causing it not to fit with the proper friction. ST
Well put.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What ever works for you Duputy'

First rule of thumb is this,..... do not drop your daYmn weapon!
Second, all parts/pieces that are man-made can and will break!
Third, Dr. Glock knows best.
Lastly, DO NOT drop your weapon,.... unless you are French!
And the MAIN rule I try to live by... "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong".
I want to prevent Mr.Murphy as much as possible. :whistling:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rear sight wasn't messed with. I bought the gun brand new. Unless the factory screwed up. :supergrin:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh yeah...one other axiom..."an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". I can prevent the guide rod from breaking with stainless. I can only hope a sight replacement with metal sights will prevent it from popping off.

·
Machetes & Guns
1,669 Posts
Lets try this one more time. Hopefully you've had time to get your morning coffee by now.

I've seen and experienced two weak items on the Glock. One is the rear sight, and the other is the guide rod.
Oh really ? 'I've seen and experienced two'

The second item is the plastic recoil spring guide....
I haven't experienced a recoil spring gude rod failure...
Maybe you should go back and edit your OP. I would not want you to look like a Troll :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
347 Posts
So what you're saying is you found some things with your gun that you felt needed improvement and you improved them? Ok great lets all move on...ST

·
Banned
2,504 Posts
You drop your slide three feet while taking it apart. Only time I take mine apart I am seated at a table and the gun is maybe a few inches from it. Why would anyone break down any weapon while standing or not over a proper work place? Next so called weak link is the weapon was put back together wrong.

A simple read of the manual would fix the guiderod "weak link" and safe gun handling will fix the other..........

1 - 20 of 99 Posts