"We know our daughter was there and we want them to find her!"

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Captain America, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Captain America

Captain America

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,583514,00.html

Family and friends of missing Americans have searched the ruins themselves. They've hired private rescue teams. They've pleaded with the U.S. government to do more to help bring home loved ones who disappeared amid the rubble of earthquake-ravaged Haiti.

More than a week after the quake rocked the country, the grief of not knowing has become unbearable. Frustration and hopelessness has boiled into anger against the U.S. government.

"We know our daughter was there and we want them to find her!" yelled Leonard Gengel, hammering his fist on a table.

Gengel's 19-year-old daughter Brittany is one of four Florida college students still missing. Two of their teachers are also believed buried at the Hotel Montana in Port-Au-Prince.

It remains unclear exactly how many Americans are missing. The U.S. Embassy in Port-Au-Prince had so far accounted for at least 9,400 of up to 45,000 Americans who were in Haiti before the quake. But some Americans may not have been affected by the devastation, and others may be OK but haven't contacted officials.

At least 35 Americans have been confirmed dead, with U.S. officials investigating reports of an additional 21 potential U.S. fatalities.

Friends and relatives want the Americans brought home — dead or alive.

"I think everyone has accepted the fact that they're not going to find everyone alive, but we at least want to bury our loved ones on American soil and not under the rubble," said Forrest Masters, who is in Haiti helping search for a family friend.

Confusion has added to the frustration. At one point, Gengel was told by the university his daughter had been found, but the news turned out to be "bad intelligence" from a rescue crew in Haiti.

The school, Lynn University in Boca Raton, has hired private rescue teams to help search for the missing faculty and students, who were there to distribute food and visit schools and orphanages. Eight of their classmates escaped and have returned home safe.

"These kids went down there on a journey of hope, that's what it was called, and it's turned into a journey of hell," said Gengel, of Rutland, Mass.

Sally Baldwin, of Fort Worth, Texas, is praying for any word about her son, Brendan Beck, 35. He also is believed lost in the rubble of the Montana.

Beck, an engineer doing consulting work in Haiti, checked into the hotel for a night to catch a flight to another part of the country the next day. His mother is angry that she's not getting information from the government; U.S. officials say they're doing what they can under difficult conditions.

"Given that most Americans do not register with the embassy ... it is often impossible to say in these situations how many are missing," State Department spokesman Gordon Duguid said. "As for sharing information, we can always do a better job ... I think we have been sharing the information we have, but many times it is just not enough to be of help to families in anguish."

According to the White House there were 43 international search-and-rescue groups in Haiti with more than 1,700 personnel, including more than 500 from the U.S. Altogether, they had rescued more than 120 people from the rubble as of Wednesday.

The United Nations, which is coordinating the rescue teams, recently determined no additional search-and-rescue groups were needed. Rescue efforts will eventually give way to recovery of bodies, and there's a chance some may never be found.

But even a week after the earthquake hit, teams emerged from the rubble with improbable success stories — including the rescue of several people. That leaves some hope for John Gianacaci, of Hopewell, N.J. His 22-year-old daughter, Christine, is one of the missing Lynn students.

"This is the United States of America. They perform miracles all across the world ... Where's our miracle?"
    ------------------------

Thoughts? This is certainly tragic.

2. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I am sorry for their pain and probable loss. There are risks involved in international travel that many people do not think about, especially when doing aid work. A couple of years ago some neighbors let their daughter do a foreign exchange session in Mexico. While it ended well, it was an eye opener and much higher risk than they knew when she left.

3. Captain America

Captain America

I saw the parents interviewed on Fox at lunch. One made an appeal to Obama that he go to Haiti himself and organize the relief efforts so their daughters could be found.

4. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Millennium Member

bill o'reilly guaranteed the military would keep searching for them...or he will call obammy

5. PuroMexicano

PuroMexicano VIVA MEXICO !!!

how so?
    did she experienced something really special that only happens in Mexico and not in Chicago or LA for example?

6. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I'll hold my breath.

7. hatrix

hatrix

well damn, they looked and couldnt find them, what makes them think someone else can or will?

8. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

I saw that yesterday too. I doubt that the Mighty O will do anything differently.

I am sorry for the loss of their loved ones and when the dad said about John Jr and the equipment that was sent in, I agree with him. But this is very different from what is happening in Haiti.

9. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Obama hates white people. :whistling:

In all seriousness, I hope the families find their loved ones.

10. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

They were still finding people a year after the WTC attack. This earthquake is worse, and in a country with no infrastructure. What the heck do they expect?

11. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

She and her family experienced months of anxiety over the possibility of being kidnapped or murdered. The host family was not entirely forthcoming when they filled out their application to be a host family about their situation. Certainly not something that a small town girl from Ohio was prepared for, most of my neighbors do not have bodyguards. Or need them as badly as the host family did.

And yes, that happens in the US too, but when it does you are at home, speak the language, know where you are most of the time and have people like family that you can go to for help.

When you are on a humanitarian aid mission you are an outsider, look different, often do not speak the language and are usually alone or a member of a small group in a society that at best is likely to be a familial trust or tribal trust society.

My comment was an anecdotal illustration, not a generalization.

12. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Truly sucks, but sometimes these things just happen, sadly.

13. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

I feel bad for these families whose loved ones are missing, but how can you be angry at the U.S. Government? I know it is probably just a very emotional time for the families, but it is not the United States job to go find it's citizens in another country after a natural disaster. I hope these families find their loved ones though, it's just going to take some time.

14. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

At times like that the pain and fear is so great they have to find someone to attach it to. You can't blame the earthquake.

15. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

My sympathy to the families, but the troops and relief workers need to concentrate on the living.

16. turnerjasonm

turnerjasonm

I definitely LOLed at that.

17. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Let's just keep on making jokes about Haiti, claiming it was God's Wrath on "those voodoo people," and all the rest, fellas. Real funny of us now, huh?

18. WolfNotSheep

WolfNotSheep Tackleberry

Maynardwix, I'm with you. Those were my thoughts exactly.

19. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Because, for years now, the U.S. Government has been telling the citizens of America not to worry about anything. From retirement to the safety of your children to the quality of the food you eat, Uncle Sam will take care of you so long as you pay this tax, and that tax, and this tax, and one more tax, and vote a certain way. Don't worry, everything will be fine, the government can -- and will -- fix everything that's wrong.

And now something went wrong. Monstrously, horribly, wrong. Families are missing their children, and good people who went to a craphole third world country to try and help others are dead or missing...and suddenly Uncle Sam isn't magically fixing it. Obama isn't riding his unicorn across a rainbow and rescuing people, and these folks -- good folks -- are finding out in what's got to be the hardest way possible, that they've been fed lies.

So now they're parents that don't have their children, and it must feel like the government's turned their back on them -- because they've been told for so long the government can do anything it tries to do, and suddenly the government's not giving up the goods.

20. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

:rofl::rofl:

That was good, and you make some great points.