close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

We have to putdown a Cat today

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by eleanor, Aug 16, 2006.

1. eleanor

eleanor

We've got eight cats -- all rescued, all "reclamation projects".

Julian, our eighteen year old has come to the end of his time here. We adopted him at sixteen. He has had health problems all along -- he's been scheduled to be put down three different times -- each time, we brought him home and he's made a good recovery. Right now his quality of life is gone -- he can hardly walk.

We've had him on prednisone, lactulose, sub-cutaneous fluids (50 - 125 ml. daily) and DMT (an amino acid) for the last one and one half years.

This morning we found him behind the washing machine in a pile of his own waste -- he also let go all over the house. In the past we kept him isolated at night, but he seemed to be much happier being left out.

It was clear that he was looking for his own "den", his own space. I can't be angry with an animal who seemed to be trying to do "the right thing". It's just that he could not find his own private space.

We were hoping he'd have another miracle -- not this time.

At four PM he's making that last journey -- for all our sakes, I hope there really is a "Rainbow Bridge". Here's this cat that growls, is cranky, very opinionated, -- and yet, we still love him -- just like that grumpy old Uncle that you really do not know WHY you tolerate.

I realize many folks here do not respect my views, so I don't know why i'm writing this here -- but, I thought some animal lovers might just understand.

2. walkin man

walkin man

I am sorry that you are going through this trying time. As a rescuer you have given comfort to a creature that was unable to respond as you wish he might have. Just consider what he might have experienced prior to you finding him. I support you in your decision. You have gone the extra mile to save this pet but have reached the point where you must make the decision to ease his sufferring.

Many of us here have had to face this choice in the past and will again in the future. It is one of the hardships we bear, but the pleasure our pets bring us more than offsets the pain. Imagine how dull life would be without them. Even the cranky old guy.

You did the right thing.

walkin man

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

4. Glock_36

Glock_36 Jason

My Prayers are with You. May God Bless You and Watch Over You for taking care of His Loving Creatures.:angel:

5. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

eleanor.........

I really think the old boy probably is just in pain and it is time to go...........bless you for taking in this old boy and making his later years as comfy as possible...........

I am sure he is not growling and is happy and comfy again where he is.......

My thoughts are with you, this stuff is NEVER easy!!! :angel: :angel: :cat: :cat: :cat: