Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Disgusting.

Baltimore Cops Kept Toy Guns to Plant in Case They Killed a Civilian
Detectives targeted “dope boy cars”; took drugs, guns and money found during illegal searches; and sold stolen weapons and drugs back on the streets.[/quote]

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
We were discussing this in a meeting this week. We are so low on applicants and recruits it’s just ridiculous. We need to be ever so cautious of who we allow into our ranks, especially now when departments are so vulnerable.

Wait 2-3 years to see the backlash from lowered standards for hiring and passing up quality people to ‘check a box’.

·
Registered
27,823 Posts
“ 4 have been in the academy 18 months “

WTF?

Cities get what they pay for.

Reactions: SevenSixtyTwo

·
Registered
15,695 Posts
We were discussing this in a meeting this week. We are so low on applicants and recruits it’s just ridiculous. We need to be ever so cautious of who we allow into our ranks, especially now when departments are so vulnerable.

Wait 2-3 years to see the backlash from lowered standards for hiring and passing up quality people to ‘check a box’.
We are maintaining our standards, which are pretty tough- we hire around 7% of the applicants- and we are constantly short; right now the Patrol Division is about 200 people short, which translates to a bigger work load since all the shifts run short all the time (makes for some nice OT though)....But it's maddening, being understaffed permanently .....

The upside, as you mentioned, is that we don't see the sort of problems that some other agencies in our area have with people getting in all sorts of trouble (and some of those folks were people we turned down).....

Lower standards in the name of staffing up or "diversity" or anything else is NOT the answer, and agencies like Baltimore will figure that out someday, but that realization will come with a cost.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I went on the Baltimore city police in early 1973.the academy was tough but I came out number 2 in my class I left in Jan 75 for one of the counties for more money.however i got great training and great experience.it sickens me to hear all this i was proud of my time in the city and still am I spent about 30 years in the county, then 10 more with the university of Ms and retired from there.
Hey I did the job for 40 years or so.i was a good police and a good boss.
I would assume a lot of us are the same

·
Registered
11,406 Posts
Seems DC went through a similar evolution some years back with real problems that manifested pretty quickly.

Reactions: SevenSixtyTwo

·
Registered
407 Posts
When Miami PD did this in the 90’s it resulted in numerous lawless officers being arrested for felonies they committed.

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
there was a day when you asked a kid what he wanted to be when he grew up and he's say...police man! fire man! but thanks to O'bummer starting with the knee-jerk beer summit, he turned just under half the population into thinking that law enforcement is the problem when in fact the real reason is that too many minority families are broken and dont teach their children how to behave. My Bro in law (early) retired recently from the local PD because he was tired of walking around with a target on his back.

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
Our #1 girl on our list has three kids by three different dads from the three other agencies she’s worked. #3 has a DV conviction as juvenile he had expunged and then lied about. #6 on the list we determined was at one time addicted to opiated and used Suboxone through the police academy.

This is out of roughly 11 candidates. Hold the line, boys. It’s going to be tough.

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
We have some very protected rookies at the moment, including a unicorn. Sent back through the academy twice. Came out and can’t qual, so it is the only officer in the history of the department that I know of to be issued a non standard issue firearm in order to help it barely eek out a passing qual score.

It has been flunked by 2/3 of of FTO’s and is currently undergoing extended FTO phases.

All this while on probationary status which means it took the job under the condition it could be fired without cause up the one year mark.

Something tells me it won’t work out. And guess who’s beat it coming to work ? And guess who has been asked to make sure it learns the ropes. Because we all know if they don’t get it during extended FTO all they need a couple of weeks on their own with a mentor; right?

This is the from the department that has terminated some experienced officers from other agencies because a sprained ankle was going to delay their start date.

But oh ho, if you meet the magical double whammy statistic you get paid to do nothing but be a huge liability and put all the officers you work with in danger. All so admin can check a box and claim equal opportunity.

·
Banned
16,936 Posts
I can't stand Blue States. Remember when the customer was always wrong?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.