We All Have Our Dream Bikes...

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by turbonatr, May 8, 2005.

1. turbonatr

turbonatr Senior Member Millennium Member

...and mine is from the mid 80s. Yes, that's right, it isn't a Hayabusa, R1, ZX12, etc. Yeah, sure, I wouldnt mind to have a 'busa or Blackbird sitting in the garage. But the bike that holds a dear place with me is the bike that revolutionized, if not defined, the sportbike era, the 1986 Suzuki GSXR 1100. I have wanted one ever since I first saw them buzzing past my house when I was about 11 years old (which was in 1986 as a matter of fact). I remember laying in bed with the window of by bedroom open listening to a couple local 1100 owners ripping down the Garden State Parkway in the wee hours of the morning during the summer thinking one day I'd own one. Man, the sound of a piped GSXR 1100 "superbike" made me absolutely giddy at that age. To be perfectly honest, just seeing a pic of one on the internet does the same thing to me today, almost 20 years later. Yes, I know todays 600cc class crotch rockets all make more power than the old 1100, have better suspensions and brakes. So what? Todays sports cars are all markedly improved over yesterdays muscle cars, but that doesn't make those old gas guzzling, big block monsters any less special.

I guess seeing a first generation Gixxer reminds me of a simpler time. A time before mortgage payments, long hours at work, 80 mile-per-day commutes, etc. One of these days I'm going to be the guy ripping down the highway on a GSXR 1100 that some little kid is listening to in the wee hours of the morning.

One of these days...

2. RugerFan58

RugerFan58

I used to own a Benelli 750 SEI 6-cylinder back when they came out in 1976. I wish I still had it or it's big brother the 900-6. Nothing even comes close to how good that thing sounded. Even the Harley riders liked it.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

My dream bike is a US Army single cylinder Indian with the Thompson in the front scabbard.

4. sgtslwilson

sgtslwilson

I was also bitten by the bug in 1986. It was the first time I saw the Honda VFR Interceptor. I just bought mine last week and it is a dream come true.

Funny thing happened to, concerning this thread. I drove up to the local dealership to check on parts and guess what pulled up next to me? A 1986 GSX 1100. Both of us agreed that the best bikes were made in '86. These young'uns on their 600's don't know anything about the old school stuff. They just take it for granted.

For what it's worth, I have been riding a long time and I have yet to find a kid who can outride me on their 600. It may happen...but not yet.

I never thought I would see the day when my Interceptor was thought of as an "Old man's bike"...go figure.

Here is a picture.

5. turbonatr

Congrats on the VFR. Fine choice.

The funny thing is, todays 600s are very capable performers. In fact, there is an article in Cycle World magazine that features Ricky Gadson aboard a new R6. He managed a 9.93 @ 135.05 with a front-end tie down strap, a set of aluminum lower links for the rear shock and one smaller tooth front sprocket. Now, take a look at all the kids at the drag strip with their new 600s. Lucky if they manage an 11.50 out of them.

6. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

There is a reason why Gadson gets paid all that money.;)

7. turbonatr

Absolutely. He's a very talented rider for sure.

There is also a reason why the R6 reached 135mph trap speeds.

Horsepower.;)

8. quinch

quinch Turgid Member Millennium Member

Great bikes. Perfect examples from that period where sporting motorcycles took a huge jump foward, and a new genre was born. I'd be proud to have one in my garage.

9. KyleB

KyleB

They forget to mention the huge block of lead that was on the front of that r6

10. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

I'm with 100%, my man! True GSXR's are oil-cooled. I'll never get rid of mine. I'd love to park something newer next to it, but NEVER trade. Sure the new bikes have more power stock, but who said you had to leave it alone?

My '91:

11. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

These are pictures from last year. It has alot more done to it now. I'm just waiting on the cylider head from the machine shop.

12. turbonatr

13. gixxer11

gixxer11 bbrrraaapppppp!

Hey turbonatr, would you be interested in buying some '90-92 gsxr 1100 parts like a complete front end w/upside-down forks , complete brake system F&R, complete clutch assemblies, or pretty much anything else that'll fit? Try me, I've got a garage full of stuff. The nice thing about oil-coolers is they are like Legos, stuff from one year will fit on other years. My prices are VERY reasonable. Actually I need to get rid of alot of it to make room for other projects. PM me if your interested. BTW, your Eleven is beautiful!;Y ~2

14. turbonatr

Actually, that's not my bike (I wish!!). Just an example I found on the web I thought I would share. That being the case, I don't have a use for 1100 parts.

Now, if you were selling your bike...;) I might actually part with my AR50 .50BMG rifle if an 1100 became available (and that would be the ONLY reason I would part with the .50!).