close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WD-40 on Glocks?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JRX, Dec 17, 2002.

1. JRX

JRX

A buddy of mine uses spray WD-40 to clean his G22. He has done it that way for a few years. Every time I hear him mention it I shake my head & say something about too much oil being bad for Glocks. Anybody else out there using this method? I gotta think it's not a good idea.

2. SoDFW Jason

SoDFW Jason Slow Hillbilly

I gotta think you're right.

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Me too.

Given a chance, WD-40 will kill primers, it was proven to me by Dad years ago, he used it regularly on his guns.

One time he brought his High Standard Sentinel revolver along on a visit, it's the one he kept loaded at home and he decided it was time to shoot the seven CCI stingers that he kept in it...only two of them fired. Even after repeated firing pin strikes.

4. Roger C

Roger C

Aircav has some detailed procedures on how WD-40 can be used to care for a handgun. Send him a PM and I'm sure he'll help you out.

5. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

It's stated many places that Glocks don't need much oil but too much oil WILL NOT hurt any semiauto. Problem with WD-40 is that it's very light. I use synthetic motor oil with good results.

6. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

WD-40 is good stuff, but not on guns. ;T

7. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

WD = Water Displacement

Guess what it does to any lubricant that just might remain?

;g Not good for guns

8. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

If you want to clean your gun that way use brake cleaner. Then lube it with what ever you like most of the Glock armorers use TW 25 B. The last couple of months I have been using Tetra Gun grease. I like it a lot better then everything else I have ever used. But never use WD-40 For all of the above reasons, and then more.

9. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

I have been using WD-40 for years as a cleaner and light lubricant on all of my firearms and it works quite well. It’s a relatively inexpensive product that’s readily available worldwide unlike some other firearm specific cleaning products that are out on the market today. I recommend its use with firearms for cleaning purposes. Just remember to remove any excess from the gun and apply a good lubricant after like Tetra, MP7 etc.

10. cntrline

cntrline

WD-40 is not a lube, basically its kerosene. Although its an oil, its a cutting type oil, not lubricating. Maybe ok to clean with, but I would use a good gun specific solvent for cleaning. Then for a lube a quality 10w non detergent synthetic oil is best.

11. riverrat

riverrat Millennium Member

Really not a good idea. WD40, while a decent penetrant, is not suitable for either cleaning or lubrication. In fact, its probably the worst thing you can spray on a semi-auto of any kind.

12. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Riverrat,

Can you enlighten me as to why in your opinion WD-40 is so bad for semi auto firearms since none of my firearms has ever malfunctioned due to its use and I am using some of these firearms not for casual shooting at the range but for IPSC/USPSA, Steel and IDPA competition.

BTW, the following link provides a brief history of the product and the company that produces it.

http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

"Convair, an aerospace contractor, first used WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion. The product actually worked so well that several employees snuck some WD-40 cans out of the plant to use at home."

13. Gustavo

Gustavo

I've used WD-40 for quite some time in revolvers and semi auto guns and it had always worked o.k just wipe the excess off the gun. I stopped using it because a lot of people told me so. I used gun oil as lubricant. So that motor oil, would it be suitable for any gun or has it only been tested on Glocks?

14. cntrline

cntrline

From the website;

December 1995, WD-40 Company acquired the 100-year-old brand
    3-IN-ONE Oil from Reckitt & Coleman. 3-IN-ONE, with it's precise applicator
    spout, made a wonderful match for WD-40.

One could infer from the above that WD is not a lube. Its not. I can't prove it, but I do think that its safe to say that a material, whether its steel or tennifer surfaced, will suffer much less wear over a period of time if a lubrication oil is used than if a cutting oil or kerosene is used. The gun will function either way, for a while. It would take many rounds to be able to tell the difference, many rounds, probably many thousands, most of us would never know the difference. Some use motor oil, some use WD, from reading the tests and experiences of many others, seems to me that any normal solvent for cleaning and any quality synthetic oil for a lube is the way to go for long term durability and dependability. Everyone has their preferences for brand, but the bottom line is that WD is NOT a lubricant, the company says it protects against corrosion then they bought 3 in 1 as a match.

15. Stainz

Stainz

WD-40 bought 3-in-1? Ha! I use WD-40 to remove excess/gummed 3-in-1 all of the time! I thought that meant it collects three times it's volume of dust...

Atlas skins were SS - the WD-40 may have been a protectant for the salt spray near the coast. It displaces moisture - AND leaves a thin 'protective' coating.

I have heard of folks cleaning by using a degreasing tank (1-2 gallon tanks with sealing lids are available from 'Harbor Freight', etc, for $6-$20) with mineral spirits and oil - a 5:1 mix. One uses synthetic motor oil - another Slick 50. I use straight mineral spirits - sometimes with lacquer thinner (The good high VOC type!). Never use this on coated/blued parts (Mine are SS.). I oil manually as I reassemble.

Stainz

16. riverrat

ryucasta,

30 years of personal experience. Have you ever seen what it does when the temp hovers around 0 degrees F?

Keep using it, I did for several years. Its just a matter of time.

It doesn't clean as well as gunscrubber or basic carb cleaner and simply isn't a quality lubricant. If your cheap use carb cleaner to clean (watch the plastics)or GM Top Engine Cleaner, and mobil one to lubricate.

17. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Riverrat,

I truly appreciate your concern for my financial well being but really don’t worry about it you should really be worrying more about your own financial house before you start worrying about others since we all know what a booming economic powerhouse Arkansas truly is when compared to the rest of the union.

Riverrat states:

“If your cheap”

Regarding your advice about using carburetor cleaner I’ll pass on that thank you when I’m not using WD-40 for cleaning I use another product that’s called Wurth Metal & Plastics Parts Cleaner. I have found this product to be extremely effective on all types of firearms just like WD-40 but unfortunately its not always easy to get and for some GT’ers it might be a bit pricey. So in closing I wonder if those 30 years of experience that you mentioned earlier are really 1 year of experience and 29 of repeating the same line over and over again.

18. riverrat

ryucasta,

You asked me a question, I answered it. You don't like the answer, tough, don't ask. Oh, and you never answered my question regarding colder temperatures.

Many posters here are price conscious. I never said you were. I mentioned the lower cost alternatives for their sake.

In fact, I'm not concerned about you or any aspect of your life. Rather myopic of you to construe my post in that manner. But, before you run down Arkansas, perhaps you should check the rankings on the per capita number of millionaires. Many of us are here out of inclination as opposed to necessity (unlike those poor dot.comers and software geeks who have nowhere to go but Kali.)

In your earlier post you stated, "I am using some of these firearms not for casual shooting at the range but for IPSC/USPSA, Steel and IDPA competition." If you think that is anything but casual shooting, then you have no idea what serious shooting involves.

Grow up, broaden your horizons, learn to express an opposing position without resorting to personal attacks. Perhaps then you can contribute something meaningful to a firearms discussion.

19. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Riverrat,

I apologize for not answering your question regarding the cold it was an over sight on my part. Having said that I have experienced hunting trips in Canada where the temperatures were a tad bit lower than 0 Fahrenheit and I have also hunted in Indonesia where the climate is hot and extremely humid and WD-40 has been with me to these places and it never failed.

With regards to who started the personal attack wasn’t it you that commented about me being cheap or did I interpret your “If Your Cheap” comment incorrectly? To be quite frank I have always considered shooting outside of the competitive arena to not be to taxing on firearm but if you think otherwise what can I say you’re entitled to your opinion.

As far as the millionaires comment is concerned if memory serves me correctly Arkansas has about 2.7 million citizens while California has about 34 million and while you can argue per capita I would feel safe to say that California has quite few more millionaires in gross numbers than what Arkansas currently has but that is a topic for another day.

20. riverrat

Did you use a WD-40 soaked G22 in Alaska? If you review the original post, you may note the context of the discussion.

I'm truly sorry for the lack of clarity in my earlier post, I never meant to imply you, personally, were cheap (That's usually Duncan's arena).

Might just be my perspective, but if nothing dies, its just a game (not that I don't like games).

Finally, what difference does it make how many there are? The important thing is being one of them.

Take care,

Ted