close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WC flat wire spring

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by knedrgr, May 25, 2012.

1. knedrgr

knedrgr

So I took the plunge and ordered this spring to see what the hoopla was all about. I installed it in my full size rail gun and went to the range. Only put about 25 rounds thru her w/o any issues. The recoil felt the similar as my Wolff 16 lbs spring. The WC is rated at 17 lbs. And the spring comes w/ a WC Bulletproof spring rod.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Spring-Kit-Full-Size/productinfo/614/

Here are some comparison pictures between the WC vs. Wolff spring, and WC BP rod vs. EGW rod. The WC rod is proprietary and must be use w/ the FW spring. I'm going to run this set up for a while. Pretty happy with the purchase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cuba

cuba

Why change the original spring rating and diameter, I wouldn't change my system, 17lb is over springing a 1911 as far as I'm concerned, if you need the extra power to return to battery there is something out off spec with your 1911, wonder if the extra space left in the dust cover using a smaller diameter spring will cause any problems, I think WC is trying to reinvent the wheel with this one.

Last edited: May 25, 2012

3. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

Didn't know it came with it's own guild rod. I guess that partly explains the price. I gather from what Larry Vickers has written the flat spring allows for more slide travel in short 1911s' which helps to increase their reliability. He has a post on the M4 Forum under Ask Larry Section on this.

4. knedrgr

knedrgr

Never said anything was wrong with my 1911. It shoots fine w/ both springs. I know the new spring only has 1/2 a box of ammo thru it, so that's not saying much. However, my gun still runs like a champ.

Service life is what I'm trying to go after. Not looking to replace my original spring every 3K rounds.

Space left in the dust cover? Please explain.

5. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

I don't know how much good it does in a G.M. but I have shop made rods and Glock flatwire springs in a 4.5" Modified gun and a 3.5" OACP and they work very well.
    I would definitely have one in the rather undersprung 4" Compact... if I owned one.

6. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Wilson knows a thing or two about 1911s....so does Cuong. ;)

7. cuba

cuba

Wilson might know a thing or two about 1911, but I think he also knows that there is a tinkering foul born every minute, he might love his job but he's in the business to sell parts.
    Wilson also makes shock buffs, but I wouldn't use them either.
    Now if you were to say JMB thats a different story, I think he knew ultimately all there is to know about 1911. :whistling:

8. cuba

cuba

Spring bind comes to mind.

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

JMB did not know **** about a flat wound spring,......kinda like a few peps here. :whistling:
    If it were available, 100 years ago, I'm sure it would have been used.

10. faawrenchbndr

I ran one on the Springer project gun for a bit.
    Went back to a standard spring, the "new Glock sound" drove me nuts.

11. Glock_en_speil

Glock_en_speil

Like many 1911 fans I think JMB was the greatest gun desinger that there ever was however if he were around today I'm sure he would have found ways to improve his masterpiece even further.

I've always been confused at how most of the 1911's modern day improvements are widely accepted while others are passonately argued against. For instance, very few if any 1911 enthusiasts will argue against lowered and flared ejection ports, skeletonized hammers and triggers, beavertail grip safetys or the virtually limitless choices we have for sights these days. NONE of these modern features were added by JMB yet they have gained wide acceptance.

Now whenever someone wants to talk about a full length guide rod war practically breaks out.:dunno:

Also, as a Wilson Combat enthusiast I can tell you that 17 lbs. is the standard weight of their recoil spring for all of their 5" 1911's whether the spring is the standard round type or flat. :supergrin:

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  12. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I'm not sure if the new ones have them but Sig has used a flat wire spring in the 239 for 15 years. $20 is a good deal seeing it comes with a barstock guide. Of course they lock you into buying another one of their springs when it comes time for a replacement.

13. knedrgr

knedrgr

and how is that going to cause spring binding w/ the extra space in the dust cover?

14. knedrgr

knedrgr

It's kind of blasphemy running a glock spring in a 1911, isn't it...
    :embarassed:

:supergrin:

15. knedrgr

knedrgr

You mean like this one? :supergrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  16. faawrenchbndr

Nothing wrong with teaching an old dog a new trick!

17. Brucev

Brucev

Flat wire springs were used in the early 1930'2 development of the Gas Trap M-1 Garand. I am not sure how many coils the spring had. As finalized in development the M-1 Garand used a gas port design with a round wire spring of 220 coils. The early flat wire springs are now collector items worth big money.

18. faawrenchbndr

Very true,........but they were NOT available in 1910. :whistling:

19. knedrgr

knedrgr

hmmm, yeah try telling that to Hilton Yam. What's that I see in the background of his India build 1911? Looks like a 17lbs spring.

[​IMG]

20. cuba

cuba

[​IMG]