Ways To Make A Gen 4 Trigger Feel Better ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ChrisD46, Aug 25, 2019.

1. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

While a Glock 26 Gen 4 is a fine pistol , I've never warmed up to the "bump" in the trigger bar thus the trigger break in the Gen 4 is feels funky compared to my Gen 3 G17 ... What are the way(s) to make the Gen 4 trigger feel more like a Gen 3 trigger ?

2. GRR

GRR

Put a gen3 smooth trigger in your 26.

deadhead, Mr Meeseeks, gh1138 and 5 others like this.

3. Mike-M

Mike-M

That alignment bump is required when a Gen4 pistol has its Magazine Catch on the right side of the grip, in order to ensure proper lift of the Firing Pin Safety. Otherwise it does nothing and normally does not rub against anything...internet tales to the contrary. (ALL Glock pistols in 10mm, 45ACP, and 45GAP have used that exact same alignment bump in all generations since 1990, 20 years before the first Gen4 pistol appeared in 2010, without generating complaints.)

I have tried Gen4 Trigger Bars in pre-Gen4 pistols, and tried Gen3 Trigger Bars in Gen4 pistols. I have never been able to measure any change in trigger pull force.

The Gen4 Frame and Trigger Mechanism Housing position the Connector slightly CCW (viewed from right) compared to earlier generations. That causes the peak trigger pull for any specific Connector to be about 0.5-lbf greater than the same Connector produces in a pre-Gen4 pistol. Gen4 pistols were introduced with the UNMARKED Connector, but that produced a 6.0-lbf trigger pull. Soon Glock developed the DOT Connector to restore Gen4 trigger pull to the standard 5.5-lbf. Early Gen4 pistols with UNMARKED Connector should have it replaced with the DOT Connector.

The MINUS Connector that produces a 4.5-lbf pull in pre-Gen4 pistols produces a 5.0-lbf pull in Gen4 pistols. The DOT Connector that produces a 5.5-lbf pull in Gen4 pistols produces a 5.0-lbf pull in pre-Gen4 pistols. I use the DOT Connector in my pre-Gen4 pistols and the MINUS Connector in my Gen4 pistols. That gives all of them a similar trigger pull of about 5.0-lbf.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  4. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

I like the idea of trying a genuine Glock MINUS connector in your Gen 4.
    There is a guy on the forum here that sells them for $18 shipped...
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/new-factory-glock-3-5-pound-connectors.1661590/
    (they are technically the 4.5 pound connector)

AdamRodgers, Mr Meeseeks and Mike-M like this.
  5. Toocool45

Toocool45

Thanks for the input mikem

6. Intolerant

Intolerant

Polish the bump down, polish the top of the firing pin block, replace the connector.
    I`ve done this to every gen 4 i own. Huge improvement...problem solved.

gh1138 and vba like this.
  7. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

Yes, sell it and buy gen5.

L-2 likes this.
  8. Intolerant

Intolerant

When they build one in the G29 & G30s model, i sure will.

9. Deadduck357

Deadduck357

25¢ trigger job

L-2 likes this.
  10. Chaos Cosmonaut

Chaos Cosmonaut

Listen to Mike-M and also put a few thousand rounds down range. That should smooth it out and you will get some excellent practice also. Expensive but effective.

11. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

I just threw in an OVerwatch precision trigger on my Glock and that's it. I've experimented with the 25c trigger job plus some aftermarket triggers in the past. At present time, I would always recommend the Overwatch triggers.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  12. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*Great information - now I know why my Gen 4 G26 trigger feels different as the Gen 4 has the DOT connector while my Gen 3 G17 has the DOT connector as well (love the feel of the DOT connector in the Gen 3 ) . I'll order a MINUS connector for the Gen 4 G26 and see if that allows the Gen 4 and Gen 3 triggers to align better in trigger pull and feel .

L-2 likes this.
  13. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*Regarding the bump : Are you stating to polish (as in a $0.25 polish) OR actually grinding the bump away ?

14. jr24

jr24

My favorite Glock trigger mod is 1000 rounds down range.

Oh, and lots of dry fire.

glock1097 likes this.
  15. Intolerant

Intolerant

No, the $0.25 is pretty lame compared to my process. I`m not a kitchen table gunsmith.

I`m working on all the parts that the $0.25 videos show, but with a process that gets me a far better trigger job. I "grind", then polish everything smooth. I use a dremel tool for most of the job.

I chuck the plunger up in a small bench lathe, re-contour the leading edge. I start with a very fine file, then a stone, then sandpaper, then polish. Don`t need to take much away from the edge of the plunger, just round it off a little bit so that the trigger bar hump can glide over it smoother and easier.

I wouldnt grind off the bump very much. Otherwise you CAN create a weak spot in the trigger bar if you remove it entirely.
    I use a very fine honing stone to level everything else, then a final polish. My process takes it way above the $0.25 clean up job.

When i`m done with my trigger jobs, the trigger feels like they`re riding on ball bearings.
    When you come to the trigger wall, the trigger breaks clean. No mushy break.
    Trigger take up is still going to feel mushy, but it will be smoother.
    All glocks feel mushy to me, just nature of the design.
    All i want is a super clean smooth trigger break.

The best trigger bars to use are the trigger bars with NO BUMP. I`ve been using non-bump trigger bars in EVERY glock i own. I`ve yet to have any reliability issues whatsoever.

16. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

Quit typing so much and shoot it.

jr24 likes this.
  17. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

This

18. Intolerant

Intolerant

If thats meant towards "me"...
    The poster asked me a question, i gave him a detailed answer.
    If its above your ability to read and comprehend, dont read it then.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  19. E.Bar

E.Bar

I put a gen3 trigger bar in my gen4 model 19, not only gave me a smooth trigger, but a better feel also.

I tried one of the Overwatch Precision polymer triggers, and actually liked the Gen 3 better.

Intolerant likes this.
  20. Intolerant

Intolerant

THIS ^^^^^