way to fix a "cut" on a glock slide

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by simone, Jan 24, 2017.

1. simone

simone

Hi guys, i'm not really obsessed with guns wear and scratches but i'm recently trying to do some manutention on some of my guns. i have a g19 gen4 with the frying pan finish. on the left side of the slide a grain of sand made a cut half slide long, not visible with the light coming from some directions but very bad looking with the proper light: i'm saying "cut" and not scretch because the frying pan finish is not sretched, there is a cut wich reflexes the light giving visive feedback but the finish is still there, it only has a sharp cut. i don't think a refinish is necessary, what do you suggest to fix the problem? thank you ;)

2. DaverZ

DaverZ

I suggest not worrying about it at all as long as it doesn't inhibit the function of safety of the gun.I think you are worrying about nothing.A gun is a tool,while taking good care of it such as cleaning and oiling along with keeping it secure it's still a tool that will get used whether for range time or personal protection just enjoy it,worrying over petty things like that will just take away from enjoyment.

Macc283, G19 DB, orangejeep06 and 2 others like this.

3. simone

simone

You are obviously right but if there is an easy way to fix the problem, I don't see why i should not try :)

4. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

possibly take a polishing cloth and "polish" it out?

5. simone

simone

mh! do you suggest polishing the cut taking all the finish to the same level ?

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

There's nothing you can do to "fix" it. The good news is, it's not going to hurt the corrosion protection of the tenifer.
    If it's invisible from some angles, it's a pretty mild scratch and is just normal wear. You'll get more wear if you use the gun the way it's meant to be used.

7. simone

simone

i keep that gun loaded 24/7 and she comes with me everytime at the sand cave where i shoot (where i live there is no concerned carry). after 4 years of use with more than 12k rounds through it and using a fab defense holster (wich devastated my g23 slide), with sand everywhere, the 19 still looks like new, except for that cut wich is very long and noticeable. that's the reason why i'd like to fix it, if there is no way, peace! (sorry for the bad english)

8. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

You should sell that beat-up old junker.
    I offer $200 sight unseen.

TAKE BETTER CARE OF YOUR NEXT ONE!

At my age I can't read the Glock logo or the caliber! They all look like brand-new show guns.

On the down side...I can't see my sights or the target.

The last guy I had an altercation with, I teased him in close by saying nasty stuff 'bout his moma.

When he got within arm's length I could just make out his clergy collar so I apologized and let him live.

But, now that I think about it he may have been a biker with his shirt on backwards.

That would certainly explain his "old lady" coming home with me.

But, now that I think about that, she may have been his moma....

That would explain her "Toofless" tattoo.

OK, $225.

9. Gdirty5

Gdirty5

You stated that it was "invisible" from certain angles. Tennifer is a metal treatment, not actually a coating like say duracoat/ceracoat. It penetrates the metal instead of laying on top. So if the scratch is so superficial that you cannot see it at certain angles or cannot feel it by scratching your fingernail over it. Then it's probably VERY VERY shallow, and maybe a jewelers cloth with polish it just enough to make it disappear. Seems to work well on my watch straps. Also some guys with the new gen 4 finish that's dull, use it to brighten up their slide.

10. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

Got any pic's?
    That would help

11. simone

simone

here it is, what do you think then? thanks everyone :) 20170125_105015.jpg 20170125_105108.jpg 20170125_105113.jpg 20170125_105115.jpg 20170125_105132.jpg

deputy tom likes this.
  12. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Nice pictures. Try some automotive polish, the scratch looks like it is only on an exterior coating.

simone likes this.
  13. simone

simone

thank you for the suggestion..can you tell me a specific product to use? i'm not familiar with polishing metal at all! ;)

14. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

15. dudel

dudel

Very good pictures. I've heard of people having some luck lightly rubbing the scratch with a ScotchBrite pad with a bit of gun oil. Some of those "scratches" are just a softer metal that rubbed off on the tougher Glock finish. ScotchBrite pad won't do any damage, but will lift off the softer metal. Gun oil is just so you don't do it dry.

16. simone

simone

wow, thank you everyone! i'll give it a try for sure

17. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Go slow with it, your goal is to take off any elevated ridge on the side of the scratch, which will make it less noticeable. You won't be able to do anything about the depth of the scratch.

Pretty negligible, that's the good news. I embrace the wear & tear on my guns :) ... you may find you do the same with time.

SJ 40 likes this.
  18. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

simon, does it shoot to point of aim and run good? Your'e supposed to look at the front sight, not the slide. Glocks are just hammers, not artwork, so hammer away.

PreciousChud and Fred Hansen like this.
  19. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I meant a polish for car paint.

simone likes this.
  20. Chowser

Chowser

Anyone use flitz?
    I once used my Glock 22 slide (and frame) to clear broken glass from a window before I climbed through it. Really scratched up the slide and gouged the frame. Eh. It's a working gun. Never bothered to fix it. Never rusted.

Fred Hansen likes this.